•  

Thread: 2011 Aveo LT Intermittent acceleration problem

What's wrong with my car?
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks

2011 Aveo LT Intermittent acceleration problem

Hey everyone this is my first time posting on here. I need help please! 2011 Aveo LT Automatic has a problem with accelerating, like merging onto a highway, it does not want to go. It just putts along as if I'm not flooring it! It seems sometimes if I take my foot off the gas and then back on the engine seems to "catch" and will accelerate how it should. I gave it to one of the best mechanics I know for almost a month and the problem only happened 1 time! The scanner was ran on it, everything tested fine. It just happens out of the blue. I've tried to see when it happens, how much fuel is in the tank, time of day or temperature outside, engine temp, anything I can think of that would help me figure this out. The original plugs were in it so I replaced those and drove it for a while, it still happened eventually. I unplugged the MAF sensor to see if there was a change while the vehicle was running but that came out fine as did electronically testing it. Cat is not clogged either. Idk if this has anything to do with it but I was told by someone that if there was a slight coolant leak over time, the head gasket could be bad. Even if the car never over heated, just had to add a little bit of coolant every couple months. He said that was what happened with his Volvo. I did have a small leak where the coolant temp sensor goes in so I fixed that a few months ago. I'm gonna do a test on the head gasket to see. Does anyone have anything that would help me?? Really stuck and this is a dangerous situation when trying to merge on a highway and the car just putts along. Can not afford a new car right now. And chevy doesnt know what's wrong of course. I was thinking it could be the accelerator pedal position sensor attached to the gas pedal but I dont just want to throw parts at it. Someone help!! Email me please ndimatties@gmail.com thank you so much!

I'll keep it and add a turbo
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by Ndimatties View Post
      Hey everyone this is my first time posting on here. I need help please! 2011 Aveo LT Automatic has a problem with accelerating, like merging onto a highway, it does not want to go. It just putts along as if I'm not flooring it! It seems sometimes if I take my foot off the gas and then back on the engine seems to "catch" and will accelerate how it should. I gave it to one of the best mechanics I know for almost a month and the problem only happened 1 time! The scanner was ran on it, everything tested fine. It just happens out of the blue. I've tried to see when it happens, how much fuel is in the tank, time of day or temperature outside, engine temp, anything I can think of that would help me figure this out. The original plugs were in it so I replaced those and drove it for a while, it still happened eventually. I unplugged the MAF sensor to see if there was a change while the vehicle was running but that came out fine as did electronically testing it. Cat is not clogged either. Idk if this has anything to do with it but I was told by someone that if there was a slight coolant leak over time, the head gasket could be bad. Even if the car never over heated, just had to add a little bit of coolant every couple months. He said that was what happened with his Volvo. I did have a small leak where the coolant temp sensor goes in so I fixed that a few months ago. I'm gonna do a test on the head gasket to see. Does anyone have anything that would help me?? Really stuck and this is a dangerous situation when trying to merge on a highway and the car just putts along. Can not afford a new car right now. And chevy doesnt know what's wrong of course. I was thinking it could be the accelerator pedal position sensor attached to the gas pedal but I dont just want to throw parts at it. Someone help!! Email me please ndimatties@gmail.com thank you so much!

Based on my experience with 2009-2011 Aveos, it is my opinion that you have a couple things going on. Firstly, the 2009-2011 Aveos are prone to have the engine oil cooler fail after 4-5 years and leak oil into the coolant, and leak coolant into the oil. Before blaming a bad head gasket for coolant loss, first check your coolant recovery tank to see if there is an oily scum or sludge in that coolant tank. If there is, your engine oil cooler is bad and needs to be replaced. Regarding an intermittent acceleration problem, in my opinion it might be a intermittent bad ground connection somewhere. If i had to guess, you might want to check the ground connection of the ground wire next to the engine control module (ECM) on the drivers side of the engine compartment. If I recall correctly, G103. A bad ground connection at G103 can imitate a bad accelerator position sensor and can also imitate a bad throttle body position sensor. If you try loosening the bolt for G103, be prepared, it will be rusted underneath, and it will probably snap off.

That's my 2 cents.

Deano

What's wrong with my car?
      Thanks
      Ok great I will take a look at the oil cooler, coolant and ground. Thanks so much for throwing in you 2 cents! haha Ill let ya know what I find.