•  
    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2010 Aveo Sedan Delayed shift into 4th

LXV-SCOOTADRIVE, ON! 2010AveoLT's Avatar
      Thanks

2010 Aveo Sedan Delayed shift into 4th

well, Today Scoots gave me her first quirk. as I was going into town Today with a Stone Cold Engine, 'Ol Scoots Would not Shift into 4th for a Few minutes. (Tach was Reading 3 Grand at 55 MPH, when its SUPPOSED to be reading 2 Grand at 55 MPH) is there some sort of TCM Programming that Delays Shifting into 4th/TCC Lockup at a certain temperature? (Ambient Temp was 50*F)

Still love my daily driver Thymeclock's Avatar
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by 2010AveoLT View Post
      well, Today Scoots gave me her first quirk. as I was going into town Today with a Stone Cold Engine, 'Ol Scoots Would not Shift into 4th for a Few minutes. (Tach was Reading 3 Grand at 55 MPH, when its SUPPOSED to be reading 2 Grand at 55 MPH) is there some sort of TCM Programming that Delays Shifting into 4th/TCC Lockup at a certain temperature? (Ambient Temp was 50*F)
      An Aveo has four forward gears plus torque converter lockup. The torque converter works as part of the automatic transmission system. The lockup acts similar to a fifth gear or overdrive on automatic transmissions. (Techincally it's not a fifth gear but the TC lockup feels just like an upshift when it occurs.) On an Aveo, the torque converter doesn't enter lockup until about 45 MPH. When it does, it actually feels and looks like a shift: you will notice a drop in RPM to about 2000. If the engine is cold, the TC will not lockup at all until it reaches operating temperature. That is normal for most Asian cars, whether it is overdrive or TC lockup.

Now read this thread (click here).

Your car is probably still under warranty. If the engine is at full operating temperture and it's still revving too high at speeds over 45, there is something wrong. Bring it to a dealer and start the process of having them rectify it.

I'll keep it and add a turbo
      Thanks
      any if you find out what the problem is please let me know because mine's being doing that for 3 years now. Dealerships told me it was too cold.....but they didn't mention anything about driving around in second gear in the wintertime when I was buying it ? And synthetic oil doesn't help...tried that.

Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by Thymeclock View Post
      An Aveo has four forward gears plus torque converter lockup. The torque converter works as part of the automatic transmission system. The lockup acts similar to a fifth gear or overdrive on automatic transmissions. (Techincally it's not a fifth gear but the TC lockup feels just like an upshift when it occurs.) On an Aveo, the torque converter doesn't enter lockup until about 45 MPH. When it does, it actually feels and looks like a shift: you will notice a drop in RPM to about 2000. If the engine is cold, the TC will not lockup at all until it reaches operating temperature. That is normal for most Asian cars, whether it is overdrive or TC lockup.

Now read this thread (click here).

Your car is probably still under warranty. If the engine is at full operating temperture and it's still revving too high at speeds over 45, there is something wrong. Bring it to a dealer and start the process of having them rectify it.
      I have a Degree in Automotive Technology, I KNOW how an Automatic Transmission with TCC Works; and to HeavyDuty: its Staying in 3rd for me.

Thanks
      *Bump* its Still doing it, and now it does it EVERY Time on the First Startup of the day with the Outside Temp 50 Degrees F or lower. I've already blown ONE Engine in 2012 with my Plymouth (which caused me to get Scoots in the First Place) and I Don't want Another Blown Engine!

I'll keep it and add a turbo
      Thanks
      both my 04 aveo my kia rio have delayed shifts when cold. i think it the computer trying to get the trans/engine to warm up faster.

Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by jayman View Post
      both my 04 aveo my kia rio have delayed shifts when cold. i think it the computer trying to get the trans/engine to warm up faster.
      I'll accept that answer if its coming from either a GMDAT Engineer, an Aisin Engineer, or a Chevrolet Technician that's quoting from the Service Manual. other than that, I'm assuming my Transmission is trying to kill itself.

Still love my daily driver Pickles's Avatar
      Thanks
      So basically you're telling us you're a stubborn person who doesn't want the help he asked for. If youre going to be so stubborn then do to ask for our help. And 3000rpm at 55 is definitely 4th gear without tc lockup

Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by Pickles View Post
      So basically you're telling us you're a stubborn person who doesn't want the help he asked for. If youre going to be so stubborn then do to ask for our help. And 3000rpm at 55 is definitely 4th gear without tc lockup
      I counted the Gears this morning when I went to town, and it was DEFINITELY in 3rd, and REFUSING to Shift into 4th. only after a few minutes of a Cold Engine SCREAMING at a Speed that Should only be seen when Blasting down the Interstate at 70 MPH did it shift into 4th. and I'm not being stubborn, just stating the fact that if this IS Normal Behavior, then I need to hear it from someone who either Repairs the car on a daily basis, or someone who helped design the Powertrain.

Almost time to do my timing belt
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by 2010AveoLT View Post
      ... after a few minutes of a Cold Engine SCREAMING at a Speed that Should only be seen when Blasting down the Interstate at 70 MPH did it shift into 4th.....
      No degree in Automotive Technology here - just a low level, amature mechanic. But I've been driving for over 40 years, and never have blown an engine. Perhaps a big factor is that I've never pushed any vehicle until it comes up to temp - just very moderate rpms and speed. The link below describes how Chrysler programs their TCMs, using temp(s) as the key inputs. Seems like there must be some type of similar programming done for every make.
      Perhaps you just had bad luck with your Plymouth. But OTOH, maybe you should think about your driving habits, and consider backing off a bit until the engine comes up to temp. Not intending to be rude or obnoxious here - just trying to offer some friendly JMHO advice.

Jeep Grand Cherokee Transmission Shifting Problem

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast