•  

Thread: 2010 1.6L L4 DOHC 16-valve Ecotec underheating problem

What's wrong with my car?
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks

2010 1.6L L4 DOHC 16-valve Ecotec underheating problem

Hi, folks. I'm new here - not an owner (I wrench Subarus) - but asking on behalf of an old friend who's being hassled by this thing.

The problem is that the engine temp won't come up. Seems like a simple enough bug (thermostat stuck open), but he had it into one of the big chain shops (not my preference) and they replaced it. A couple of months later, problem back - and it's been seriously cold here, so it's a nontrivial problem.

First, this is a "Vancouver Olympics Special Edition", in case that matters. Second, he claims that they claim that getting at the thermostat requires a major effort (i.e. unbolting a lot of in-the-way stuff from the engine, then lifting it), making this an expensive proposition in terms of shop time.

So is this a known problem? Is there anything weird about this engine that could make anything other than the thermostat cause it? Is there a preferred thermostat make? And how accessible is the thermostat housing, really?

Thanks much.

LXV-SCOOTADRIVE, ON! 2010AveoLT's Avatar
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by deerkiller View Post
      Hi, folks. I'm new here - not an owner (I wrench Subarus) - but asking on behalf of an old friend who's being hassled by this thing.

The problem is that the engine temp won't come up. Seems like a simple enough bug (thermostat stuck open), but he had it into one of the big chain shops (not my preference) and they replaced it. A couple of months later, problem back - and it's been seriously cold here, so it's a nontrivial problem.

First, this is a "Vancouver Olympics Special Edition", in case that matters. Second, he claims that they claim that getting at the thermostat requires a major effort (i.e. unbolting a lot of in-the-way stuff from the engine, then lifting it), making this an expensive proposition in terms of shop time.

So is this a known problem? Is there anything weird about this engine that could make anything other than the thermostat cause it? Is there a preferred thermostat make? And how accessible is the thermostat housing, really?

Thanks much.

Is it throwing any thermostat DTCs? And whatever he said about the thermostat being inaccessible is completely untrue. He might be thinking of the water pump, which is on the complete opposite side of the engine. And preferably use an ACDelco part, they are less prone to failing like the aftermarket ones.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk