•  
    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2009 Aveo will not crank after replacing Valve cover gasket

What's wrong with my car?
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks

2009 Aveo will not crank after replacing Valve cover gasket

Replaced the valve cover gasket, reconnected everything, it started and ran for about two minutes then stalled. I tried to restart it and nothing. I checked the battery and it's fine and I have a full tank of fuel. I disconnected the battery waited a few minutes and reconnected it. It started but only ran a minute. I tried connecting my OBD scanner and it will not connect to the computer. It is a 2009 with about 45k on it. Anyone have any ideas what I should do next?

I'll keep it and add a turbo
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by brutus831 View Post
      Replaced the valve cover gasket, reconnected everything, it started and ran for about two minutes then stalled. I tried to restart it and nothing. I checked the battery and it's fine and I have a full tank of fuel. I disconnected the battery waited a few minutes and reconnected it. It started but only ran a minute. I tried connecting my OBD scanner and it will not connect to the computer. It is a 2009 with about 45k on it. Anyone have any ideas what I should do next?
      Check to make sure your PCV valve is connected correctly and make sure the gasket is seated properly. A vacumn leak will cause it to stall out.

Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by 05Aveo View Post
      Check to make sure your PCV valve is connected correctly and make sure the gasket is seated properly. A vacumn leak will cause it to stall out.
      I understand that but that doesn't appear to be the problem. All connections are good. As of now it will not turn over at all. When I turn the key nothing happens. I checked the battery and I have 12.4volts. I am beginning to think somehow the computer is on the fritz. As I said I cannot connect with the OBD scanner. Can anyone think of anything that would give these symptoms that isn't the computer?

I'll keep it and add a turbo thankful_ragamuffin's Avatar
      Thanks
      Have you checked the ground from the engine?

LXV-SCOOTADRIVE, ON! 2010AveoLT's Avatar
      Thanks
      is it cranking over and just not starting, or you turn the key and its utter silence from the Engine compartment? a good place to start from is Check your fuses and relays to make sure you didn't blow a fuse or fry a relay.

I'll keep it and add a turbo
      Thanks
      Does the headlights work? The dash cluster and then nothing or is anything working at all. There is a fuse on the battery cable itself need to check there and work your way through the fuses. I would also get the battery check for a load test. Really boggled. Did you remove the coil pack pack? did you plug the cam shaft sensor back in? it is on top with the cover. Sometime if that is not connected all the way that will not let anything start because it is a computer fail safe. Make sure the cam shaft sensor is seated and if you did pull the coil pack then you make sure the ignigter wire is seated as well.

Thanks
      Not likely a problem with the computer. Could be but not likely. I think you should double check everything you touched when you did the work. I have found with my years of working on cars and motorcycles, the usual culprit is something you overlooked while doing whatever work your were doing. Double check every connector you took apart. Pull them apart and put them back together. Double check everything you touched. We all make mistakes.

Good luck and let us know what you find, You might be able to help somebody else.

Todd54219

Thanks
      I'll start with the questions first. When turn the key it does nothing. I have lights and the idiots light on the dash work. I have 12.4volts on the battery and remember it did start twice before. The curious thing i did notice before but forgot to say was that there was no check engine light. I did remove the coil pack I had to to get to the bolt in the center of the valve cover. I did not unplug it though. I undid the ground and the was enough to get the coil out of the way. All fuses are good buy the way. I did remove several of the sensors around the valve cover area so I could move the harness out of the way. Not that is out of the way here is where I stand. I went back and checked the connectors I removed during my work and pulled them off and reseated them. I "think" the cam sensor was not seated right but it appears set now. I checked the battery again 12.4volts and tried again. Now I have an intermittent check engine light and a buzzing/clicking sound coming from the cpu when the key is in the on position. The click seems to coincide with the check engine. There is obviously something not quite right I just haven't found it yet. Nothing looks out of place. I am making progress and I appreciate the help.

Thanks
      FYI I didn't turn the key to start after I saw the flashing Check engine and the clicking. This is happening when the key is in the on position.

Thanks
      Checked the connectors again and I got the Check engine to quit flashing in the "On" position. I went ahead and and tried to start and it fired right up. It ran for about two minutes and shutdown and the check engine came on. Since I had the check engine still I put my scanner on it but I did not get any codes but the yellow emission light is on the scanner. I tried to start it again and nothing the check engine light went out again and the scanner will not connect to the cpu. This is extremely frustrating!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast