•  

Thread: 2009 Aveo loss of power or delayed throttle response

What's wrong with my car?
      Thanks

2009 Aveo loss of power or delayed throttle response

Hi, my sister has a 09 Aveo and she’s experiencing a loss of power when she tries to accelerate. It's almost like there is a delayed response when you depress the gas pedal. I checked it for her and I noticed that it is most noticeable when you start from a stop but you can also feel it when you try to accelerate from a cruising speed. The problem appears to get worse when you run the A/C. The car is not throwing any codes and I’m not seeing anything else concerning. She’s only got a little over 30k miles on it so I’m surprised she’s having issues. Does anyone have any suggestions on what it might be or tests I can run to determine the issue? She’s disabled and on a fixed income so I don’t want to spend a fortune replacing random parts till I fixed the problem. Thanks,

Matt

Almost time to do my timing belt
      Thanks
      Has the recall plug/wire replacement been done for this Aveo yet?

Still love my daily driver
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks
      never heard of that one

Still love my daily driver Thymeclock's Avatar
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by Matthew900 View Post
      Hi, my sister has a 09 Aveo and she’s experiencing a loss of power when she tries to accelerate. It's almost like there is a delayed response when you depress the gas pedal. I checked it for her and I noticed that it is most noticeable when you start from a stop but you can also feel it when you try to accelerate from a cruising speed. The problem appears to get worse when you run the A/C. The car is not throwing any codes and I’m not seeing anything else concerning. She’s only got a little over 30k miles on it so I’m surprised she’s having issues. Does anyone have any suggestions on what it might be or tests I can run to determine the issue? She’s disabled and on a fixed income so I don’t want to spend a fortune replacing random parts till I fixed the problem. Thanks,

Matt
      I too have a 2009, an automatic, bought new. When it was only three months old I noticed a sluggishness or murkiness in the way it shifted. The dealer I brought it to found it to have a defective accelerator pedal. The gas pedal assembly itself is an electronic module. They replaced it under warranty. This is a known problem with that year, and it will not set any codes.

Your problem may or may not be caused by the same. You'll need an accurate diagnosis to determine what the problem actually is.

Thanks
      Hey, here's another thread of people with a similar type of issue: http://www.aveoforum.com/forum/f108/...g-power-13800/

I had an issue like this, and for me, it seems like the solution was that my Transmission Range Sensor connector was loose/had moisture in it, but it may have been the exhaust O2 sensor's connector having moisture in it. Give both of those a check. I know a lot of people found the problem to be with the exhaust O2 sensor.

If it's only a delayed response, I'd guess it's a faulty pedal, but I'd try checking those 2 connectors since it's potentially a free solution.

Lifetime owner
      Thanks
      At 30k miles she needs to replace he stock spark plugs. They were due at 25k.