•  

Thread: 2009 Auto trans will not engage any gears

What's wrong with my car?
      Thanks

2009 Auto trans will not engage any gears

New guy with an issue. I searched the trouble shooting forum and didn't see a similar issue to mine.

I recently purchased a 2009 Aveo and the auto transmission will no longer go into gear and move itself. I can shift through the gears but it always acts like it is in neutral. Is there a position sensor or something that will keep the selected gear from engaging? The car had sat for a few years prior to me buying it but the transmission did work. No CEL or codes found. Acts like the tranny is smoked but the fluid level and color looks good. Has 130K on it. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

Last edited by Chipslinger; 09-06-2018 at 11:15 PM.

Should I keep it?
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks
      You never mentioned any tranny issues leading up to your failure, so I would suspect/check the linkage and verify you are actually seeing the change at the transmission housing when your shifter is moved.
      Doubtful a worn bushing would do this but a snapped cable could.

Cheers

What's wrong with my car?
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by JB_Fraser View Post
      You never mentioned any tranny issues leading up to your failure, so I would suspect/check the linkage and verify you are actually seeing the change at the transmission housing when your shifter is moved.
      Doubtful a worn bushing would do this but a snapped cable could.

Cheers
      The linkage is shifting the transmission but it's not trying to go into gear.
      Bought the car not running and found shorted and bare wires on the loom by the battery. Loom rubbed on the chassis ground bolt and caused electrical issues. Fixed the wiring and replaced fuses. The car runs fine now but will not move. Probably gonna change the fluid and filter. Acts like the transmission is not pumping fluid.

Update: I unhooked a trans cooler hose and briefly started the engine. No fluid pumped out. Seems I have the internal radiator leak also. There is oil in the coolant and coolant in trans. Didn't notice it earlier due to not running the engine. Headed to a local radiator shop to get it tested and to get coolant, fluid and filter for the trans. I should know after this if trans in shot already. Hopefully the filter was not completely plugged and no damage was done. I only ran the engine for short periods while trouble shooting.

Update #2: Radiator checked good. Previous owner replaced with an after market unit but obviously did not flush/change the trans fluid and coolant. Changed fluids and trans filter and it is working fine now. Drove it a few miles and shifted as it should. I'll see how long it lasts.

Last edited by Chipslinger; 09-07-2018 at 10:22 PM.