I'll keep it and add a turbo
      Thanks
      ok last post for a while, here is another thread on throttle body probs
      http://www.aveoforum.com/forum/f82/t...10/index2.html

LXV-SCOOTADRIVE, ON! 2010AveoLT's Avatar
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by KickerBoy View Post
      Hi all,

For a couple months now my 2008 Aveo 5 with less than 50k miles on it has been acting up. I get 2 main problems. The check engine light has been on for a while and I've gotten it checked out, but I don't have the codes. I should have them by tomorrow (tuesday) and I'll post them as soon as I get them. I know the codes relate to the throttle position sensor though.

Anyway, here are the problems

1) Gas pedal failure - sometimes I'll be cruising down the street and I'll start slowing down. To counteract the deceleration, I step on the gas pedal. Nothing happens and I find my foot on the floor and still I'm not accelerating, so I have to pull over. If I pop it in neutral and floor it, the engine revs to a little under 2k rpms. In drive, acceleration is non-existent and I can keep 15 mph at most on level ground. The only way to keep going is to turn the car off (put it in park first obviously), take out the key, and reinsert it then start the car. (If I don't remove the key, I will start the car and the gas pedal continues to not work) This is a huge bother to me because I want my gas pedal to work! Why the hell do I have to pull over to the side of the freeway or turn off onto a side street once every week or more often? It's dangerous! Also, whenever this happens, the car idles high at 1100 or so.

2) Rough acceleration/rough cruising

When you go at a green light, you know how you're supposed to gradually/smoothly hit the gas until you reach the position where you accelerate correctly? On my car, when you hold the gas pedal at a constant level (believe me, I'm holding it constant, not moving the pedal a millimeter), the engine surges and subsides, and I can't get constant acceleration out of it. I hate fly by wire, if it was a mechanical linkage the throttle would be forced to be stuck open at the right amount. Anyway, it makes acceleration really rough and unpredictable. It's tough in traffic, and well it's even tough anywhere I try going.

Then, when I'm cruising, I'll again be holding the gas pedal at a constant level and the engine will be rough and I can't hold the speed perfectly like I can on any other car, and this one too before it started acting up.

Both of these problems piss me off. They've been happening since I was at like 43,000 miles. And I've tried searching on this forum and all over the internet and the only solutions I've seen are 1) clean the throttle body (which I've done to no avail), and 2) buy a whole new throttle body. I've seen people's posts about how they've had to go through 3 throttle bodies and the problem persists, so the TB is obviously not the problem.

Does anyone know any real fixes that work for this? I'm a poor college student and I rely on my car to get to and from work, i can't just drop $170 on a new throttle body just to have the problem return in a few years. This issue doesn't sound isolated, I'm sure some of you have had this, I just want to know what will actually work. We all know GM really sucks and that Aveos are pieces of ****, but I rely on this paper-thin vehicle to get me from point A to point B. The car is already unsafe enough, just look at the crash test ratings, the last thing I need is for one of these problems to get me into an accident where one of my friends or I could get seriously injured just because of GM's ****. Any help is appreciated!!

Thanks,
      KickerBoy
      Kicker, my last car (a 1998 Plymouth Breeze) pretty much FAILED the IIHS Crash Test, and the Aveo BARELY Passes by the skin of its teeth. I jump 12 years in Automotive Technology, and I BARELY made any headway in safety!

Still love my daily driver Pickles's Avatar
      Thanks
      2010 LT, I think the 09+ actually didnt do terrible (for the hatchback at least) due to addition of side-curtain airbags and some other safety features they updated

What do you mean there's no turbo? Chevy Customer Svc's Avatar
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by KickerBoy View Post
      Hi all,

For a couple months now my 2008 Aveo 5 with less than 50k miles on it has been acting up. I get 2 main problems. The check engine light has been on for a while and I've gotten it checked out, but I don't have the codes. I should have them by tomorrow (tuesday) and I'll post them as soon as I get them. I know the codes relate to the throttle position sensor though.

Anyway, here are the problems

1) Gas pedal failure - sometimes I'll be cruising down the street and I'll start slowing down. To counteract the deceleration, I step on the gas pedal. Nothing happens and I find my foot on the floor and still I'm not accelerating, so I have to pull over. If I pop it in neutral and floor it, the engine revs to a little under 2k rpms. In drive, acceleration is non-existent and I can keep 15 mph at most on level ground. The only way to keep going is to turn the car off (put it in park first obviously), take out the key, and reinsert it then start the car. (If I don't remove the key, I will start the car and the gas pedal continues to not work) This is a huge bother to me because I want my gas pedal to work! Why the hell do I have to pull over to the side of the freeway or turn off onto a side street once every week or more often? It's dangerous! Also, whenever this happens, the car idles high at 1100 or so.

2) Rough acceleration/rough cruising

When you go at a green light, you know how you're supposed to gradually/smoothly hit the gas until you reach the position where you accelerate correctly? On my car, when you hold the gas pedal at a constant level (believe me, I'm holding it constant, not moving the pedal a millimeter), the engine surges and subsides, and I can't get constant acceleration out of it. I hate fly by wire, if it was a mechanical linkage the throttle would be forced to be stuck open at the right amount. Anyway, it makes acceleration really rough and unpredictable. It's tough in traffic, and well it's even tough anywhere I try going.

Then, when I'm cruising, I'll again be holding the gas pedal at a constant level and the engine will be rough and I can't hold the speed perfectly like I can on any other car, and this one too before it started acting up.

Both of these problems piss me off. They've been happening since I was at like 43,000 miles. And I've tried searching on this forum and all over the internet and the only solutions I've seen are 1) clean the throttle body (which I've done to no avail), and 2) buy a whole new throttle body. I've seen people's posts about how they've had to go through 3 throttle bodies and the problem persists, so the TB is obviously not the problem.

Does anyone know any real fixes that work for this? I'm a poor college student and I rely on my car to get to and from work, i can't just drop $170 on a new throttle body just to have the problem return in a few years. This issue doesn't sound isolated, I'm sure some of you have had this, I just want to know what will actually work. We all know GM really sucks and that Aveos are pieces of ****, but I rely on this paper-thin vehicle to get me from point A to point B. The car is already unsafe enough, just look at the crash test ratings, the last thing I need is for one of these problems to get me into an accident where one of my friends or I could get seriously injured just because of GM's ****. Any help is appreciated!!

Thanks,
      KickerBoy

Hi KickerBoy,

I am really sorry to hear about whats going on with you Aveo. I would like to look into it for you to see if there is any way I can assist. Can you private message me your full name, address, phone number, Vehicle Identification number, and approximate mileage on your vehicle please? Also the dealer information if you are involved with a dealer.

Crystal L. - GM Customer Care
      Don't forget to check out my.chevrolet.com link and take advantage of a wealth of vehicle information!

For information on the GM Privacy Statement, please visit http://www.gm.com/privacy-statement.html

What's wrong with my car?
      Thanks
      2011 Chevy Aveo5

I am have a similar issue with my 2011 Aveo.

It started after driving about a mile or 2, when I depress the gas pedal half way it would lose all power and stall the motor. I would then depress the pedal all the way and the car would take off. then after holding the pedal all the way down several times for bout 2-5 miles it would stop and work normal untill I shut car off or if I drove it slow through a town and had stop and go traffic.

From the research I am doing it really sounds like it is a TPS issue, which means I would need to replace my entire throttle body to get this repaired. I cannot believe that I have such a major problem on a 3 .5 year old car. I should not have such a major problem on such a new vehicle

I have a manual transmission, I believe if I had an auto tranny that my car would be almost useless at this point. but because it is manual I am able to shift when I need to.

Also, my issue has turned into the fact that now no matter what gear I am driving in the engine will not go higher than 4000rpms. I can barely manage to go highway speeds.

Lifetime owner
      Thanks
      there are a few things that can cause this, do you have a CEL? anytime the car will not run a CEL will set. IF there is no check engine light, the only things that it could really be are spark plugs, coil pack, or fuel pressure, because the car "expects" these to work.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12