•  
    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2008 Aveo with Multiple Issues

What's wrong with my car?
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks

2008 Aveo with Multiple Issues

When I initially purchased my Aveo in 2008, I was in love, however, my love has since turned into hatred for this car. Not even a week into having my car, I was forced to deal with the lovely howling noise, the car dies when it is very cold outside, it would get stuck in park & I would have to turn off my car just to get it to release, my gas mileage has decreased dramatically, I have had problems with the acceleration of the car (RPMS shooting up and not accelerating), and now my steering wheel shakes terribly. My car now only has about 52,000 miles on it.

Prior to the warranty expiring, I took my car into the dealership several times to have the howling looked at and I was always told that there was nothing wrong with it. The same with it getting stuck in park. After being beyond frustrated, I emailed Chevy & I was able to take my car in at another dealership, and they were kind enough to pay for the repairs. I was told the they didn't find any problems with the gas mileage (I log it when I get gas when this problem started happening, there is totally a problem there), in the summer they were unable to recreate the response to extreme cold, fixed the cause of my car staying stuck in park, and supposedly fixed the howling problem. Not to mention the fact that I was told my car would be done in a few days and it ended up taking a lot longer, and here I was car-less in the meantime.

Unfortunately, it is not fixed at all. My car howls just as bad as it did before. The acceleration is poor and as I mentioned above, the shaking of my steering wheel is ridiculous. I just had to change my brakes and when they were done, the rotors are bad and I got told that they there was really unusual wear on them.

I really feel like I have a death trap. I loved the car's looks, the room in the car, it was perfect for everything that I needed it for (a nice reliable little car for getting to school 4 days a week, a two hour drive round trip), but the problems are just never ending. If I sat down I could make a huge list of everything...but overall I am quite disappointed that the howling persists, even after it was "fixed". I was looking at other cars (the Cruze really intrigued me), but I am so reluctant now to even get anywhere close to the lower-cost Chevy cars.

I have taken great care of the car, maintenance always on time, but it

Lifetime owner
      Thanks
      so your ranting.. but what are you looking for?

the howling is the top door seals, buy 3/8" round adhesive back weather strip, problem solved for $10.

the shaking in the wheel, is most likely the worn rotors based on you description, but it sounds like the wheel bearings are shot if they did not find a defective suspension part elsewhere upon inspection.

rpm shooting up and not accelerating? tranny fluid is probably burnt.

I'll keep it and add a turbo
      Thanks
      Wow, petrified.rabbit! You got right to the heart (hearts?) of the problems.

Thanks
      carly i like the way everything was paragraphed and neatly done, makes reading a long story easier on the eyes.not that we will take the time or effort.the only thing rabbit didnt address was the bad milage/poor acceleration which may be cause by poor fuel delivery system.i would try to clean the fuel injectors with some good cleaner in the gas tank(cheapest diy way)the rpms shooting up,like rabbit said check the trans fluid see if its brown.if it is have it completely flushed on a dialises machine,you may have to look around for this dealer around here dosnt do it.it costs 9 quartes (gm iv or toyota iv trans oil)90.00 and 60-90 dollars labour.wont be covered under warranty because it is regular maintenance.

Lifetime owner
      Thanks
      i didnt address the fuel mileage because there were no numbers. she could be getting 26-27mpg like everyone else ad expecting 40-199mpg like the salesman told her. I personally am not a fan of fuel additives (if you going to clean the injectors clean them, pressurize the rail with a cleaning agent and spray the injectors into cans..).

Thanks
      i do agree the best way to clean fuel rail is is pressurizing to do it properly but the additives do some cleaning for some1 who cant do it themselves.i use the additive(any 1 )to safely clean my throttle body (put on rag)watch the black/grey goo wash off,(so by itself must wash a little)better then nothing was my theory(under 10.00 worth a try).she mentioned that she keeps track of her mpg all the time and it certainly has gone down alot even though she didnt say what it was.

Thanks
      Careful Carly, no badmouthing the Aveo here........Look at my screen name, I get a lot of static for it, but I understand your feeling. Petrified.Rabbit, I think what she wants is her car to be fixed by GM like it should be. This is the exact same type of problem I had, it wasn't that the car had so many problems, heck my maxima had more recalls than a toyota, but it is the fact that GM strings you along until no warranty and then, hang you out to dry.

GM even changed the name of the Aveo to Sonic to get away from all of the negative press. Same car, new name.

Best thing to do is just trade it in and get something else. At this point, if you are not mecahnically inclined, you will never be happy with the car.

OK, guys, let me have it.

Thanks
      It is okay to rant and rave about an issue, like poor gas mileage, for instance. At some point (hopefully sooner than later), though, the question "What can be done about it?" should be asked.

Timing belt broke, do I keep it? thehunterooo's Avatar
      Thanks
      I stopped at death trap and rofl'd

What do you mean there's no turbo? Chevy Customer Svc's Avatar
      Thanks
      Carly,
      I do apologize for your frustrations. Is there a different dealer in the area that you have heard good things about? I could contact them and see what we can do to get you an appointment and get these issues taken care of.
      Breanne
      Chevrolet Customer Service

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast