•  

Thread: 2008 Aveo Ls 4d is bucking/not accelerating

What's wrong with my car?
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks

2008 Aveo Ls 4d is bucking/not accelerating

Hi everyone I’ve had my aveo for awhile now. My car has been bucking/ not wanting to accelerate past 40-45 mph after. My dad is a mechanic and we have coded it multiple times. What’s coming up now is “post catalyst fuel trim system low limit bank one. It also days DTC severity 2 of 3 repair immediately if drivability issues. Before I got my license I drove my car with my permit with my mom to work while I was 15. I’m now 18 and a month after I turned 16 the car actually died while my mom was driving back home from dropping me off from work. It sat for awhile because it kept throwing codes for different things wrong with it. My dad during that time changed the spark plugs, coil packs, rodded the catalytic converters because they were plugged and I’m wondering why it still keeps jerking. My little 4 cylinder does have some pretty high miles on it because the car was my grandmas before hand. But my grandparents have always kept up on service and maintenance for the car and I’m wondering why it is still having this problem. I want to say it started these problems maybe around feb. of this year? Maybe earlier, I really cannot remember. Because it was acting fine for awhile after it finally was running again. My car when it finally started running again it had about I wanna say 124xxx miles on it and now I’m at 173200 something miles. My dad is replacing the spark plugs tomorrow as after I was backing out of a parking spot tonight my car actually died because the chugging/bucking/jerking has been getting a lot worse. I’m not for sure if the spark plugs are going to fix the problem because just before I got the last code I started earlier, the time before that it was saying something about cylinder bank one. I know I have a lot of miles already on my car but I need it to last me and live as long as it can until I can get a new one. This is my first vehicle since I got it at 15 and I wasn’t even able to drive it until March of 2018. I’m sure this thread is like all over the place but I try to research into what the problems could be every time I have some sort of issues With my car and usually kind of get the right idea of what the problem could be. If this makes sense to any of you and think that it could be something more than just spark plugs please shoot me some ideas it would be more than greatly appreciated you have no idea. I rely on my car heavy for work because I drive to peoples homes and help them and I need a somewhat reliable car. I’m super torn because this is my first car and it was my grandmas and I don’t want it to die for good. I do love my car so much and I know my grandma did too she hates her 2017 mitshibishi compared to her Aveo and I know it would break her heart like mine. I’m super sorry if this is sappy I’m just super upset and stressed over the situation.

What's wrong with my car?
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by 2008aveols View Post
      Hi everyone I’ve had my aveo for awhile now. My car has been bucking/ not wanting to accelerate past 40-45 mph after. My dad is a mechanic and we have coded it multiple times. What’s coming up now is “post catalyst fuel trim system low limit bank one. It also days DTC severity 2 of 3 repair immediately if drivability issues. Before I got my license I drove my car with my permit with my mom to work while I was 15. I’m now 18 and a month after I turned 16 the car actually died while my mom was driving back home from dropping me off from work. It sat for awhile because it kept throwing codes for different things wrong with it. My dad during that time changed the spark plugs, coil packs, rodded the catalytic converters because they were plugged and I’m wondering why it still keeps jerking. My little 4 cylinder does have some pretty high miles on it because the car was my grandmas before hand. But my grandparents have always kept up on service and maintenance for the car and I’m wondering why it is still having this problem. I want to say it started these problems maybe around feb. of this year? Maybe earlier, I really cannot remember. Because it was acting fine for awhile after it finally was running again. My car when it finally started running again it had about I wanna say 124xxx miles on it and now I’m at 173200 something miles. My dad is replacing the spark plugs tomorrow as after I was backing out of a parking spot tonight my car actually died because the chugging/bucking/jerking has been getting a lot worse. I’m not for sure if the spark plugs are going to fix the problem because just before I got the last code I started earlier, the time before that it was saying something about cylinder bank one. I know I have a lot of miles already on my car but I need it to last me and live as long as it can until I can get a new one. This is my first vehicle since I got it at 15 and I wasn’t even able to drive it until March of 2018. I’m sure this thread is like all over the place but I try to research into what the problems could be every time I have some sort of issues With my car and usually kind of get the right idea of what the problem could be. If this makes sense to any of you and think that it could be something more than just spark plugs please shoot me some ideas it would be more than greatly appreciated you have no idea. I rely on my car heavy for work because I drive to peoples homes and help them and I need a somewhat reliable car. I’m super torn because this is my first car and it was my grandmas and I don’t want it to die for good. I do love my car so much and I know my grandma did too she hates her 2017 mitshibishi compared to her Aveo and I know it would break her heart like mine. I’m super sorry if this is sappy I’m just super upset and stressed over the situation.

Hey! Not sure if the issue you're having is exactly the same, but I had a similar type of driving experience - bucking when accelerating, uneven idle, exhaust smelled like the engine was running rich. I took it to my mechanic 2 times, chevy dealer once, then my mechanic again. They kept changing oxygen sensors since that is what the code I had was. I did some googling and saw someone changed the engine air intake hose. When looking at the engine bay from the front, it is on the top left back of the engine. It's simply a rubber hose held on by some hose clamps. The guides and posts I saw indicated that the rubber can crack, but not completely tear, causing some issues with air intake and fuel/air trims.

I found a replacement online for around $30 and did the work myself. it took all of 45 minutes including cleanup. No more check engine light and back to smooth acceleration and idle.