•  
    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2008 Aveo with 120,000 miles has P2135 code

What's wrong with my car?
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks

2008 Aveo with 120,000 miles has P2135 code

I have two Aveo's. A 2005 with 150,000 miles which I gave to me son and a 2008 with 120,000 miles which I drive regularly. I drive a ton of miles and love these cars for the high gas mileage they get and both of my Aveo's are manual transmissions and get 42 mpg and some weeks I put around 800 miles on my 2008.
      The issue I am having is at 60,000 miles the throttle body was replaced by the dealer which was covered, and now it has been coming on and off for the past 8,000 miles and the car had a slight hesitation at high speeds, so I took apart the throttle bottle and used a $2 can of throttle bottle cleaner and cleaned it up and the check engine went off and no more hesitation. Now I don't notice any hesitation anymore, but it seems to come and off with the same P2135 code. Kinda of a bummer if I have to replace the throttle body every 60,000 miles I plan on driving the car to 250,000 miles. Going to try cleaning it again. Anyone else have this issue?

Should I keep it?
      Thanks
      I just started having problems with my 2009 with 120 K the dealer wants to replace the engine wiring harness to the tune of $800 plus maybe the throttle body. any thoughts

Lifetime owner
      Thanks
      did they give you reasoning?

the harness is a physical part that does not have moving parts, it wouldn't just stop working or wear out at 120k, so any wear or issues should be able to be seen.

what problems do you have?

Should I keep it?
      Thanks
      Hello Rabbit

There is a TSB out with GM that the harness can have bad terminal connections. here is the tsb # 09-06-04-016A. I had the 2135 code and the engine went into limp mode where you could only go 20MPH. it was like running on one cylinder. I had the code a second time after leaving the dealer and when i reset it with my scanguage it started running normal. this problem occured the day before i was having the timing belt done.

Lifetime owner
      Thanks
      I would think you could check that. EVEN with a TSB, that does not make it wrong with your car.. just that there is enough of the issue that the factory has given directions for a possible repair. I would still think the fault for a harness would show multiple sensors showing fault randomly while replacing the sensor does not fix the issue. that code still doesn't sound like a harness to me, it sounds more like a sticking throttle body, which will also set a limp mode as to not accidentally over rev the engine.
      Last edited by petrified.rabbit; 11-09-2012 at 08:28 PM.

Should I keep it?
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by tacomafitch View Post
      I just started having problems with my 2009 with 120 K the dealer wants to replace the engine wiring harness to the tune of $800 plus maybe the throttle body. any thoughts
      I did not do anything up until now as the harness did not seem right. I now have 125K miles and i notice it only happens when the car is at a cold idle/. When I first go out and start in the AM. More like the Throttle Body ?

Lifetime owner
      Thanks
      describe your symptoms. but with a cold idle issue i imagine it is stalling? i would suggest checking the temp sensor, you might not be in high idle. OR you might need an idle relearn.. It is only on initial start up if the problem goes away and the you restart the car, does it occur again? Might be the warm up system on the primary o2. Is there a CEL?

Should I keep it?
      Thanks
      Hello Rabbit

It is the same issue that I had above with the 2135 code. When I reset with my scanguage it clears and may redo for about a half mile a couple times. It does not stall, just limits rpm to about 700 RPM (limp mode) till CEL cleared. The rest of the day it is fine. The engine wiring harness is no longer the cause as suggested by the TSB initially

LXV-SCOOTADRIVE, ON! 2010AveoLT's Avatar
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by petrified.rabbit View Post
      did they give you reasoning?

the harness is a physical part that does not have moving parts, it wouldn't just stop working or wear out at 120k, so any wear or issues should be able to be seen.

what problems do you have?
      it will if something is rubbing against a part of the harness and rubs through enough to cause a short.

Should I keep it?
      Thanks
      I do not think the harness is the issue in my case as it only happens at idle and when 1st started in the AM. The harness was the original thought by the dealer because of a TSB with the 2135 code for CEL

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast