•  

Thread: 2007 aveo loses power at highway speeds

What's wrong with my car?
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks

2007 aveo loses power at highway speeds

I know I have seen a few issues like this looking through the forum but none a definitive answer so here we go.

I have a 2007 aveo LS, manual transmission about 60,000 miles. When I am driving on interstate roads, generally speeds 60+ mph, my car will lose power, as though I had taken my foot off the gas pedal, even though I haven't moved it at all, I can then push the pedal the whole way to the floor but it doesn't do anything. The rpm gauge goes to zero. I have to pull over and turn the car off, and then it runs fine immediately. It will often do this several times within one trip, though it seems to take about 45min-1 hr for it to do it for the first time, and it has never done it during city driving. It also sometimes idles and drives a little rough. Often when I first turn it on the rpm gauge will be jumping although I haven't touched the gas pedal.

My CEL is on, and has gone on and off the whole time i've had the car the last three years. I have taken it to several mechanics, including one dealership, and no one can figure it out. It has become very dangerous to take my car on the highway and so it is a very big problem. Any suggestions welcome, if I can't get it fixed I will have to get a different car.

What do you mean there's no turbo? Chevy Customer Svc's Avatar
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by Bethanyann529 View Post
      I know I have seen a few issues like this looking through the forum but none a definitive answer so here we go.

I have a 2007 aveo LS, manual transmission about 60,000 miles. When I am driving on interstate roads, generally speeds 60+ mph, my car will lose power, as though I had taken my foot off the gas pedal, even though I haven't moved it at all, I can then push the pedal the whole way to the floor but it doesn't do anything. The rpm gauge goes to zero. I have to pull over and turn the car off, and then it runs fine immediately. It will often do this several times within one trip, though it seems to take about 45min-1 hr for it to do it for the first time, and it has never done it during city driving. It also sometimes idles and drives a little rough. Often when I first turn it on the rpm gauge will be jumping although I haven't touched the gas pedal.

My CEL is on, and has gone on and off the whole time i've had the car the last three years. I have taken it to several mechanics, including one dealership, and no one can figure it out. It has become very dangerous to take my car on the highway and so it is a very big problem. Any suggestions welcome, if I can't get it fixed I will have to get a different car.
      Hi Bethanyann529,

Thank you for your post. I'm sorry you're experiencing these issues with your 2007 Aveo LS. If you would like to private message me your vehicle's VIN#, I can further investigate your to see if there are any special coverages or recalls related to what you have experienced. At this point, the problems seems to be a safety concern. I would suggest getting the vehicle into your Chevy dealership to have these issues addressed. I would be glad to schedule an appointment at your Chevy dealership so they could properly diagnose what's happening.

Looking forward to your reply. Have a good weekend!

Vanessa
      GM Customer Service