•  
    Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 2006 aveo repeated coil pack failures

Thanks
      thanks again for your suggestions.

center tapped coil? only see the coil packs wired to spark plugs.
      I'm going to change the valve cover gasket and spark plug ring seals first.

Should I keep it?
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks
      Sorry didn’t mean to confuse

Bottom side of coil the wiring harness plug connector goes too (3 connector plug).
      This is the primary coil , 12v to the Center tap and firing signal to either end depending if it’s firing (1&4) or (2&3).
      its just a glorified step up transformer.

Cheers

Thanks
      ahh. built in the same unit.ok.

Almost time to do my timing belt
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by JB_Fraser View Post
      …. Try using Iridium Plugs....
      Here's some anecdotal information about Aveos and spark plugs from bygone days when this forum was quite a bit more active. Back then multiple folks reported that they had performance problems using non-copper plugs. On one hand this didn't make sense to me because one would expect all plugs with the same specs (heat range, …) to perform the same, with the only difference being longevity. However, these reports came from reliable, long-term members, most notably Petrified Rabbit. I never tried a non-copper plug myself, so I can't provide first-hand information about the validity of copper vs non-copper plugs in Aveos, and I certainly am not intending it to be 'the word', so just take it FWIW.

To the OP, the fact that the performance problems went away when you swapped the coil would seem to confirm that the coil had gone bad. Here's one fairly inexpensive thing for you to try, which also doesn't take a whole lot of time. An HEI spark tester is designed to be able to show you the quality of the spark, and you can buy one for $15 or so. In theory anyway, a good coil pack, charging system, and wiring should produce a strong, blue spark when the tool is used in a crank (non-running) test.

That said, when I tried an HEI spark tester on my '05, it did not produce the desired blue spark - just red/orange from the tester. Now perhaps that was a function of the factory coil pack being 13 years old and a bit 'tired' - IDK. But I'll also note that the vehicle never ran poorly - perfect fuel trims and never a sign of any performance issue.

So If you did get a strong, blue spark with the new coil on an HEI tester, that would absolutely prove the coil is very good. And it would also provide a baseline for you to run the same test again, should the problem show up again in the future. But if there was no blue spark from the tester now, then I guess you wouldn't be able to draw any conclusion from that. Not much time and $$ required however to try this out.

Good luck, and hope you get this resolved!

Thanks
      I have a spark tester. I use it on my vw project. so, on aveo just use it between plug wire and plug?

Should I keep it?
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks
      Good info Avguy, thanks!

spark tester would definitely be a nice tool to test with also, since the coils could ohm out good but the internal die-electric could breakdown or casing fail and cause low output.
      Anything I’ve used in the past has been the neon bulb type, I’m thinking what you have is an adjustable gap with viewing window.
      Any chance of a pic or model number?

I read here over the years about problems with Platinum plugs , incidentally was what I pulled out of my 05 when I changed them.
      Never used Platinum again because of the posts here and also the electrode had deteriorated so much that the gap was around 0.075 but the girl did run with them!

The standard plugs (what people call copper) is copper core with nickel plating to protect the electrode, Iridium is the same thing , copper core with Iridium to protect the electrode. The reasoning for the suggestion was Iridium conducts better than nickel and has a higher melting point which in theory should put less stress on the coils and keep the proper gap longer.
      Although in hindsight , I should have asked what was currently being used!

I think most people have a tendency to stick with what works , and why wouldn’t they

Anyways, great to see you are still here and active. I’ve been gone for awhile so don’t know if Rabbit or his car still appear in the posts?

Cheers

Almost time to do my timing belt
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by rrb6699 View Post
      I have a spark tester. I use it on my vw project. so, on aveo just use it between plug wire and plug?
      No, the spark tester I'm referring to is not the inline type. Below is a link to the one I'm talking about (there are many others available of the same type as well). This tester takes more voltage to 'fire', so it can sometimes flush out a bad coil pack when the inline tester shows it producing spark (that's actually too weak).

https://www.ebay.com/itm/WILMAR-W86553-PERFORMANCE-TOOL-ELECTRONIC-IGNITION-SPARK-TESTER/402023785238?epid=2209794706&hash=item5d9a7c2316:g :3wsAAOSwhplaVUGk

(links are not being posted correctly, so just cut/paste the above into a browser)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12