•  

Thread: 2006 Aveo engine heating problems...

What's wrong with my car?
      Thanks

2006 Aveo engine heating problems...

Usually the temperature gauge stays at just under halfway. Lately however, the engine gets hotter than that, rising above halfway and continuously upwards. I have not let it get to the red yet, as I turn on the heat when it gets about 3/4 of the way and it cools back down to 1/2.

• The radiator fan is working properly; it turns on and spins.
      • There is enough coolant, it is clean, and it does not leak (Reservoir hisses when opened indicating to me it still holds pressure).
      • I have changed the OEM plastic thermostat housing for the two-piece metal one about a year ago.
      • Mileage is 171k kilometers.
      • There is duct tape helping to seal the air intake hose; I am waiting for a new one to arrive.
      • Car also did a cross-country trip recently (6000 km), and the problems started happening near the end of the trip. I know this car isn't meant for such journeys, but it won't be taking another trip like that anytime soon. I only need it now for quick trips in the city to and from work.

Turning on the heat does cool the engine down, but as summer is fast approaching I would like to find the problem and solve it ASAP.

Any ideas, or parts to check?

Also, love the forum

Last edited by HughCage; 05-25-2017 at 12:22 AM.

Should I keep it?
      Thanks
      Waterpump. Scan it and report the code back.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Almost time to do my timing belt
      Thanks
      My first suspect would be a sticking thermostat. They can go bad at any age, and I recommend checking that before getting into the more complicated stuff.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to avguy For This Useful Post:

HughCage (05-31-2017)

Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by new2aveo View Post
      Waterpump. Scan it and report the code back.

I don't have a scanner yet, hoping to get one soon so I can better troubleshoot problems in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by avguy View Post
      My first suspect would be a sticking thermostat. They can go bad at any age, and I recommend checking that before getting into the more complicated stuff.
      Okay, thank you. Tomorrow evening I will check it out and report back here.

Should I keep it?
      Thanks
      Go to advanced, orielys or autozone they will scan it for free. Report the code back.

Garage empty: add car
      Thanks
      2011 Chevy Aveo LT overheating, thermostat problems. Three times in the last year my car has overheated. My first new thermostat had to be replaced 4 mo after installed. Today, third time, I overheated on the Interstate. A heating problem. Again. Three times in one year identical. Hundreds of dollars. My car again had to be towed in. Steam billowing out the engine. I take superb care of my Aveo. I average 6,000 miles AYEAR!!! Perhaps now permanent damage to the vehicle. What's everyone else thinking? If Chevy won't work w me, because of this blog, I am going through the Consumer Protection Division to get some help because this EXACT issue appears to be happening to so many times ther aveo customers. So frustrating!!!!!!!!!! Would like to hear from others. Susie

Should I keep it?
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by Susie View Post
      2011 Chevy Aveo LT overheating, thermostat problems. Three times in the last year my car has overheated. My first new thermostat had to be replaced 4 mo after installed. Today, third time, I overheated on the Interstate. A heating problem. Again. Three times in one year identical. Hundreds of dollars. My car again had to be towed in. Steam billowing out the engine. I take superb care of my Aveo. I average 6,000 miles AYEAR!!! Perhaps now permanent damage to the vehicle. What's everyone else thinking? If Chevy won't work w me, because of this blog, I am going through the Consumer Protection Division to get some help because this EXACT issue appears to be happening to so many times ther aveo customers. So frustrating!!!!!!!!!! Would like to hear from others. Susie
      What is the scan code?

Thanks
      So I checked the thermostat today by boiling it in water and... it didn't open! I replaced it with a new one right away. I just came back from quite a long drive along the highway, up hills both ways, and slow, in-city travel between stop lights. The temperature gauge stayed at just under half the whole time, all without having to turn on the heat! Thank you avguy for the suggestion!

Bring on the summer