•  

Thread: 2006 Aveo Bucking/Jerking At 2000 RPM....Any Ideas?

What's wrong with my car?
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks

Question 2006 Aveo Bucking/Jerking At 2000 RPM....Any Ideas?

I recently purchased a 2006 Chevy Aveo LS and I can't seem to get it running correctly. My main issue is the car bucks, jerks at or around 2000 rpm only. This only happens after driving the car for maybe a half an hour or so. Some problems I've already fixed is a split air intake hose, a couple of worn out vacuum connectors, a faulty upstream oxygen sensor. Today I spent around $800 to get the catalytic converter replaced. I've also had an oil change and a new air filter. My Aveo starts easily and runs well for the first few miles. The bucking seems to get worse the longer I drive it. Also, its recently started to have a flickering low oil light when I come to a stop after an extended drive. I've checked the oil and the oil level is fine. After an hour drive this afternoon, the low oil light was flickering and the check engine light was briefly blinking. The car was also bucking and sputtering badly. I immediately stopped at a gas station and shut off the engine. After about 10 minutes I started the engine again and the check engine light was off. I drove about another half an hour home and the check engine light did not come back on. One other thing I've noticed is a sudden and brief spike in rpm's when coasting or braking down a hill. I can't afford to go back to a repair shop right now so any ideas or input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Almost time to do my timing belt
      Thanks
      You need to have the codes read in order to see if there's anything (beyond a misfire code) which might help diagnose the problem.

The next time it starts acting up, pull over, release the pressure at the gas cap, re-tighten and see if anything good happens.

I can never understand how anyone can continue to drive after an oil light comes on, because just the thought of that light makes my bladder twitch. Yes, it's USUALLY the sender going bad, but there's no way to know that for certain until the sender is replaced or a pressure test done. Guess it must be just me, so carry on.

Lifetime owner
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks
      Ive blown up engines because of loss of oil.. Ive also had a car burst into flames on the side of the road. Oil is important.

Almost time to do my timing belt xintersecty's Avatar
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by WBrandon View Post
      Today I spent around $800 to get the catalytic converter replaced.
      The cost of good converter is about 400 bucks and then an hour labor. So maybe 500 bucks at the most. So I hope to god, you had other work done on the bill otherwise somebody took you to the cleaners.

This is why I do my own damn work on the car. Granted I am not a pro but I no moron either. And besides we have the Rabbit looking out for us.

1) If you have a smart phone get torque and an blutooth odbII convertor. Pull your own codes.
      2) Do you check the oil on a hot engine right after you get the light? If you have oil, then it could be a blocked channel or the heat killing the sensor and giving a false reading
      3) Did you check the air hose from the air filter to the TB? It has a tendency to crack and leak air. So pull it off an inspect it.
      4) I wonder if you have auto-transmission, that also could be the source of the bucking

Please do not power off, firmware update pending.....