•  
    Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 2005 Chevy Aveo LT 5 Speed Automatic Transmission Service - Specific How-To...?

Simple & Clean :) AndrewButler05's Avatar
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by Thymeclock View Post
      All the advice given by others is accurate. I've written at length about the Aveo Aisin A/T and I suggest you reference my previous posts for an extensive discussion of it.

There is an easier way of doing A/T fluid change and it is simply to drain the tranny and add new fluid on a regular basis. The way you did it is not bad, but you still didn't get all the old fluid out. You never can because much of the remaining fluid is in the torque converter. If you do the fluid drain and refill every six months or yearly, it will eventually replenish and change all the fluid. It's somewhat like doing blood transfusions. You don't need to drain all the blood out of a person to do a beneficial transfusion. You only need to do it with regularity, as needed.

The Aisin A/T is the same on all Aveos, in use now for about a decade. It's a very reliable transmission, although not a very efficient one for MPG. The Dexron fluid is backward compatible. It was initially designed to use Dexron III. The only difference between Dexron III and the Toyota IV type is that the later version is a partially synthetic fluid, whereas Dex III is not. I've been using the Valvoline Max Life IV version, but it is much more expensive and it seems to look thinner after wear than Dex III does. The warranty is about up on my '09 and I will switch to Dex III instead, as all my other cars use it. I prefer traditional oils and non-synthetic fluids. I'd rather err on the side of caution and change them more frequently rather than wait until too late. Considering that transmission failure is usually due to deteriorated fluid, it's 'cheap insurance' to prevent a very costly repair.
      Well said.

I ran a couple close errands yesterday and checked after I got home and it was still bright Cherry Red. No farther than I drive, it will be fine until Spring. I will keep close tabs on it, and if it gets any dirtier we will service it again before Spring.

Thanks,
      -Andrew B.

Still love my daily driver Thymeclock's Avatar
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks
      It will probably be fine. In the future draining and refilling on a yearly basis should do the trick.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12