•  

Thread: 2005 Aveo Shut down

What's wrong with my car?
      Thanks

2005 Aveo Shut down

My son called me from the road saying the car shut off on him. According to him, he felt a hesitation in the engine, then a minute or so later the car just shut off while he was driving. He said he started it up again, and drove off the main road but it would only go about 2 miles per hour so he shut it off and called me for help. 25 minutes later I arrived, did a visual inspection, checked fluids then started it up and drove it 15 miles home with no issues. No check engine light on either during the drive. It's currently 8 degrees in WI however I'm not sure it's temperature related. I have driven the car before and have felt a slight engine hesitation but it has never quit on me.

When I got it home I ran the scan tool on it and got a P0 106 code. MAP sensor issue. I'll attach a few pictures too as I can see the air cleaner intake hose that connects the air cleaner enclosure to the intake has been taped as a fix at some point. Wondering if that could play a part? Should I just replace the MAP sensor and send him back out on the road with it? Where is the MAP sensor located?
      Name:  IMG_5814.jpg
Views: 931
Size:  271.3 KBName:  IMG_5817.jpg
Views: 1368
Size:  303.7 KBName:  IMG_5816.jpg
Views: 1100
Size:  294.1 KBName:  IMG_5815.jpg
Views: 1166
Size:  297.2 KB
      Thanks for the help!

Almost time to do my timing belt
      Thanks
      The MAP sensor is located directly above the II portion of the E-TECII logo, and is attached with a single bolt. Before doing anything with the sensor itself, check the thin vacuum tube attached to it and running underneath. It's not unusual for that tube to develop cracks on either, or both ends.

Instead of checking it (which tends to do even more damage), you can just carefully wind electrical tape around both ends of the tube. If that resolves the issue, then you can buy one of those tubes online and replace it anytime going forward.

The tape on the intake hose is a standard repair for these Aveos. I've had my '05 taped (and re-taped) for 7-8 years (it's been so long I've forgotten when I taped it originally).

Thanks
      Ok, great. I have already ordered the new intake hose, MAP sensor, and MAP vacuum hose and will install when they arrive. The parts weren't out of hand expensive so I figured I would just cover them all. Better than being stuck on the side of the road when it's 0 degrees F out. I'll post an update after a few weeks of good running. Thank you.

Thanks
      I did replace all of the above mentioned parts. I thought I had it fixed until tonight. My son left with his car after about 2 days of not driving it. It is cold here, two days now of sub zero F temps. Son calls me from the road and the car shut down while driving and wouldn't restart. He had only been running the car for about 20 minutes. He was close to home so I drove out to meet him. I jumped in the car, started right up. I drove about 50 feet and it shut down. Coasted into a driveway and kept trying to start it. It would crank no problem, and even sound like it was trying to start, but only if I kept cranking it. Almost seemed like it was out of gas, although it was 3/4 tank full. After cranking for about 1 minute, it finally fired up. I drove it 1 mile home and as I drove in to the driveway it shut down on me. Started it right back up and into the garage. Once in the garage I let it run for a minute and noticed that the idle almost had a heartbeat. Up and down up and down. I shut it off, did a quick visual inspection. I restarted the engine and it ran and idled just fine. Currently warming it up in the garage.

Any thoughts?

Fuel filter? Fuel pump?

Spark related?

Any help is appreciated! Thank You in advance!

Almost time to do my timing belt
      Thanks
      Erratic, sporadic issues are some of the worst ones, because it's so hard to reproduce the conditions in order to start diagnosing. It's unfortunate that you didn't try spraying a small bit of carb cleaner or sensor-safe starter fluid into the intake, when you had the extended no-start. If the no-starts were a repeating event, the outside fuel test might at least send the diagnosis down the right path (i.e. fuel or spark).

So you might tell your son to keep a can of that in the vehicle, and show him how to immediately try a small shot of that into the intake if there are future shut-downs. A fuel pressure test is probably the best next step for your situation, however that's a bit of a PITA, with no Schrader valve available.

Garage empty: add car
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by maxpower10 View Post
      I did replace all of the above mentioned parts. I thought I had it fixed until tonight. My son left with his car after about 2 days of not driving it. It is cold here, two days now of sub zero F temps. Son calls me from the road and the car shut down while driving and wouldn't restart. He had only been running the car for about 20 minutes. He was close to home so I drove out to meet him. I jumped in the car, started right up. I drove about 50 feet and it shut down. Coasted into a driveway and kept trying to start it. It would crank no problem, and even sound like it was trying to start, but only if I kept cranking it. Almost seemed like it was out of gas, although it was 3/4 tank full. After cranking for about 1 minute, it finally fired up. I drove it 1 mile home and as I drove in to the driveway it shut down on me. Started it right back up and into the garage. Once in the garage I let it run for a minute and noticed that the idle almost had a heartbeat. Up and down up and down. I shut it off, did a quick visual inspection. I restarted the engine and it ran and idled just fine. Currently warming it up in the garage.

Any thoughts?

Fuel filter? Fuel pump?

Spark related?

Any help is appreciated! Thank You in advance!
      Hi maxpower10, have you fixed the problem? I too has exactly the same aveo problem. I have an aveo 2006 LT sedan. With intermittent stalling issue. Thank you.