•  
    Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: 2005 Aveo - Crank, no start

What's wrong with my car?
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by judge View Post
      I've done a few of these. 04-08 are easy compared to the 09 and up. Complete valve/gasket kits are on ebay for under $100. Yes, all 16 valves and gaskets for about 88.00. Take the head off, clean it. Replace the valves. I use a bit of grinding compound and lap the valves by hand before installing (another 9.00). Add another 50 or so for a timing belt/water pump kit and you'll be good to go.

You will have a few bent valves but replace them all. Pistons might have a tiny scratch but should be ok.

88.00 valves and gasket
      14.00 antifreeze and distilled water
      9.00 valve lapping compound and short piece of rubber hose (for the twisting)
      20.00 valve spring/keeper removal/installation tool (ebay)
      40.00 timing/water pump kit
      10.00 water pump wrench (ebay) for adjusting belt tension (really makes the job easy)

Add a weekend or two and a case of beer and she'll be back on the road.

60.00 or so to have the head resurfaced/cleaned at NAPA machine shop
      Thanks for the advice, i defiantly appreciate it.

What's wrong with my car? Daveo's Avatar
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by gearhead1 View Post
      Thats a good idea, but wouldnt it be easier to remove the starter with the head off?
      Don't bother with the starter. If you've got a broken timing belt in your hand it's not the starter. Also: I don't remember having to take the cam sprockets off to change the water pump. Please explore that again. If you do, they absolutely must go on exactly where they came off but will be keyed or pinned so it should be obvious.

Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by Daveo View Post
      Don't bother with the starter. If you've got a broken timing belt in your hand it's not the starter. Also: I don't remember having to take the cam sprockets off to change the water pump. Please explore that again. If you do, they absolutely must go on exactly where they came off but will be keyed or pinned so it should be obvious.
      Dont I need to remove the inner timing cover in order to remove the water pump? And wont I need to remove the cam gears anyways, when I start taking off the valve cover, the cam shafts and cylinder head?

Thanks
      Dont I need to remove the inner timing cover in order to remove the water pump? And wont I need to remove the cam gears anyways, when I start taking off the valve cover, the cam shafts and cylinder head?
      Again, this is all from my feeble memory so take my ramblings as a guide more than fact...but I don't recall my '04 having an "inner" timing cover, only upper and lower halves that covered everything. Remove the three little bolts that hold the water pump in and it pulls straight out. Unless you verify otherwise with your machine shop, leave the cams on the head. They'll need them to shim the followers anyway. If you do end up taking the cams off, leave the sprockets on them. Not only are they Gawd-Awful tight, they'll keep many of the lobes off any surface you lay them on.

2004 1.6 Auto Rust Free
      Thanks
      Yes there is an inner cover that needs to come off.

Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by Eg.h2o View Post
      Yes there is an inner cover that needs to come off.
      I figured as much. I could take off the valve cover and the little bridge pieces holding down each cam shaft and just remove each cam shaft with the gears still attached. What do you think? Then this will give me better access to the inner timing covers without the cam gears being in the way.

Thanks
      I figured as much. I could take off the valve cover and the little bridge pieces holding down each cam shaft and just remove each cam shaft with the gears still attached. What do you think? Then this will give me better access to the inner timing covers without the cam gears being in the way.
      I'm sure I didn't need access to anything behind the cam sprockets. But since you do, taking the cams out by removing the bearing caps is probably easier than taking the sprockets off, unless you have an impact gun for the sprocket bolts.

Thanks
      I'm sure I didn't need access to anything behind the cam sprockets. But since you do, taking the cams out by removing the bearing caps is probably easier than taking the sprockets off, unless you have an impact gun for the sprocket bolts.
      Im taking the head off to replace the vales and inspect for damage. Im pretty sure there will be something that is attaching the inner timing cover to the head. If I dont take it off, then the head will not come out.

Thanks
      Im taking the head off to replace the vales and inspect for damage. Im pretty sure there will be something that is attaching the inner timing cover to the head. If I dont take it off, then the head will not come out.
      I can't speak to that since it was not my experience the two times I did mine. Another thought though: if your inner timing cover reaches around the cams behind the sprockets, you WILL have to take the sprockets off the cams. Removing the cams with the sprockets still on won't do it.

Thanks
      I can't speak to that since it was not my experience the two times I did mine. Another thought though: if your inner timing cover reaches around the cams behind the sprockets, you WILL have to take the sprockets off the cams. Removing the cams with the sprockets still on won't do it.
      Thats a good thought. Thanks, I appreciate that.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast