•  
    Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 2005 Aveo - Crank, no start

What's wrong with my car?
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks

2005 Aveo - Crank, no start

The crank doesnt sound like your normal gallop, it sounds more like a whirring.

A few weeks back I hit a large pot hole but the car was still running. Didnt seem like it damaged the car. About a week after the car died and I had it towed to my house. Tried starting it again, it seemed like it was trying to start but wasnt turning over. I pulled out the spark plugs and the wells were drenched in oil, as was the spark plug. So I cleaned out the spark plug wells, changed the spark plugs and valve cover gasket, removed the ignition coil pack and looked for damage. Tried to start it and it seems to be trying to start but its making more of a whirring noise now. Im thinking that either the starter isnt engaging (perhaps the solenoid), the battery isnt delivering enough voltage to the starter, maybe something with the timing or something else?

Any help, suggestions or tips would be greatly appreciated.

Almost time to do my timing belt
      Thanks
      Have you checked the timing belt loop components, and confirmed the timing marks are ok?

Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by avguy View Post
      Have you checked the timing belt loop components, and confirmed the timing marks are ok?
      Not yet. I will check that. Thank you for your response.

2004 1.6 Auto Rust Free
      Thanks
      Since you said the motor isn’t even turning over, or you hear a higher pitch rirrring noise, I would assume something wrong with your starter motor. If it were turning over, but not starting, well, that opens up a whole other can of worms. Double check that your battery is fully charged before condemning the starter.

Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by Eg.h2o View Post
      Since you said the motor isn’t even turning over, or you hear a higher pitch rirrring noise, I would assume something wrong with your starter motor. If it were turning over, but not starting, well, that opens up a whole other can of worms. Double check that your battery is fully charged before condemning the starter.
      Thats what im thinking. Once I confirm the cam shaft is turning, then if its turning I will check the timing marks. Make sure those are lined up. After that then i will check the starter and good battery charge and connection.
      Thank you for your response. I appreciate it.

I hope the timing belt didnt break because then that could have bent some valves, then that would not be good.

Thanks
      I finally got around to double checking the battery. I have a new baby at home. Gets hard to get away sometimes. Anyways, I checked the battery. It was sitting at 12v. Clearly needs to be charged. Had the charger on the battery and I measured it at 12.3v while the charger was on. Tried starting it but it was doing the same whirring sound. Going to be taking a look at it again tomorrow. Maybe the battery needs longer to charge. Otherwise I still need to check for cam shaft rotation to verify if it is the timing belt that has gone.

Thanks
      So the battery was dead. Charged it. And still getting the whirring sound on start. So I took the upper timing belt cover off and sure enough one of the pulleys is busted and the belt is shreded. So now I will need to take the cylinder head off to inspect the valves and cylinder head for damage and then go from there. If the cylinder head is damaged then it wont be worth fixing, depending on the severity of the damage and if it will need to be replaced. I dont mind replacing valves and then putting it back together. But a new cylinder head might cost a lot.

2004 1.6 Auto Rust Free
      Thanks
      Valves will be bent. You can make book on it.

Almost time to do my timing belt
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by gearhead1 View Post
      ... I dont mind replacing valves and then putting it back together. But a new cylinder head might cost a lot.
      The head normally does not get damaged when the valves bend. Take it to a machine shop to be checked if you have any doubts about that, but a valve kit, head gasket/bolts, and a timing belt kit should be all you should need to buy in order to get your vehicle back on the road.

2004 1.6 Auto Rust Free
      Thanks
      Yes, the head itself is usually ok, but I would add that some of the valve guides almost always crack when this happens.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast