•  

Thread: 2004 Aveo5 with weird electrical issues

What's wrong with my car?
      Thanks

Question 2004 Aveo5 with weird electrical issues

Hello, new to the forum and hoping you all might be able to steer me into the right direction. Having some weird electrical issues on my wife's 04 aveo5. Base model with 80k miles. Intermittently while driving the headlights, blower motor, and wipers will all stop working. Keep driving a little ways, and they will all start working again. When the headlights go off, the DRL's continue to work. Dash lights, taillights and parking lights keep working as well. At first we just thought it was the headlights, till it was cool out and raining one night. Then noticed the blower motor and wipers stop working too.

From researching I see the "splicer" in the under hood fuse box is notorious for burning out and causing lighting issues. I've checked and the splicer looks perfect from what I can tell without taking the fuse box apart. There are no burnt spots visible from above. Also, I think if it was issue with the splicer, the lights would not work at all, not be intermittent like they are. Right? Anyone know if there is a common ground for the headlights, hvac, and wipers?

Sal
      Should I keep it?
      Thanks
      it sounds like a loose conection on one of the "splice packs" Actually the Splice Pack202 is the common conection to ground for all of them. Corrosion or it just being loose could be causing them all to be intermittent.

Attached Images Attached Images    

What's wrong with my car?
      Thanks
      Thank you very much Sal for the diagrams. I really appreciate it, and I saved them for future use

I ended up checking the splice pack and found no issues with it. However, upon further investigating I ended up figuring out what the issue was. The ignition switch. My wife said that anytime the problem would occur, if she pulled over and turned the car off and then back on, she wouldn't have any issues the rest of the drive. We eventually figured out that if you turn the key a little like you were going to try to start it when the problem occurred that it went away immediately. I replaced the ignition switch earlier this year with an aftermarket one when I was trying to chase down the cause to a random no-start condition, which ended up being the starter. Guess the aftermarket ignition switch is faulty or maybe is loose. I'm going to replace it back tonight with the factory one and confident that will fix the problem.

Thanks again for your guidance.

Sal
      Should I keep it?
      Thanks
      No problem. Good Luck!