•  
    Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 2004 Aveo won't start

What's wrong with my car?
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by petrified.rabbit View Post
      if it ran, and the ecm matched options, you should be ok. Most likely, the damage would be done the first time you started it.
      What did you mean by "Damage" The only problems I have now is that the trans won't shift into overdrive and the CEL is flashing........................... The ECM I got has more contact pins in the sockets but the guy behind the counter assured me it was the right unit.....He even looked it up twice more and it still comes back to that configuration.He said he'll continue to try and find me one that matches exactly.Mine had fewer pins and the sockets were gray on one side and black on the other side of the unit.Thanks for all your help........

Lifetime owner
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks
      The cel light is an issue. If the computer could absolutely not run your engine properly, it would not run the engine properly from the get go. Like run rich and hurt the o2, or knock, or ping etc and the damage would happen pretty fast.

your car shifting and other issues could stem from a few other issues. Did you compare the part numbers on the side of the ecus? If the CEL is on what are your codes?

Thanks

Red face

Happy to report that yesterday I swapped in another ECM.This time one that had the exact same number of pins and the right color sockets and the trans now shifts correctly and I no longer have a flashing or glowing CEL...............All seems to be right now !!!!!!!! Thanks to this site I am a "happy camper" once again............P.S. What started all this trouble was the battery jumper cable slipping off the post and shorting to the case of the ECM.Who would have guessed that a split second accident could effectively "take out" the ECM......Who's idea was it to put it in the vicinity of the battery in the first place???

Lifetime owner
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by billetpete View Post
      \Who would have guessed that a split second accident could effectively "take out" the ECM

I would have guess that had you posted that. ECMs rarely go bad on there own there is always a reason why it goes bad. I was actually kind of surprised when you aid replacing the ecm fixed the issue until you posted that..

Thanks
      This is what going on with my 04 aveo but I blew my fusible link now my car crank and no start no one seems to know why

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12