•  

Thread: 2004 Aveo 4 Dr Sedan with low compression in Cyl #2

Should I keep it?
      Thanks

Exclamation 2004 Aveo 4 Dr Sedan with low compression in Cyl #2

Some advice needed: New/Used Engine or still ok to repair.

Does anyone have a repair doc on how to complete a ring job or piston replacement? Has anyone ever done this before?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~

I just purchased about a week and a half ago a 2004 Aveo Sedan (check my garage) with only 83K miles from a guy in New Hampshire. He had bought the car with an engine skip, and after reading a lot of stuff all over the internet, he delved in and bought a new head, coil packs and a bunch of other items and basically overhauled the whole top of the engine.

Unfortunately, the skip didn't go anywhere. After spending well over $1k on the car he gave up and I bought it from him.

Upon receiving the car, my mechanic reset the ECU, skip was still there. He compression tested it and the compression in #2 cylinder was between 30 and 50 PSI.

The compression came up slightly with the oil test, and when he put penetrating oil in, the compression went to zero.

He thinks it is either a: Cracked Block, Bad ring, or bad piston.

I say $$$$$$ that I don't have!

A mechanic friend of mine told me that I could pull the head, drop the oil pan, turn crank until the #2 piston is at the bottom, unscrew the piston from the crank and push/pull it out the top. Inspect the cylinder walls for discoloration, replace the piston and rings if needed, then put it back together.

MY mechanic told me that was impossible, that in order to properly do the job, you need to pull the engine out so you can torque and set the piston properly.

Has ANYONE had these issues? What is the route you took? I am at my wits end, and almost out of money. I have $470 to my name. Name:  IMG_1973.jpg
Views: 572
Size:  20.1 KB

What's wrong with my car?
      Thanks
      Did you ever do this? Replace piston and/or ring? I have the same issue I think. Compression test did 200 but leakdown test went bad. There is air coming out of oil dip stick on all four which makes me wonder is this is the case. Thinking about replacing the rings.

Should I keep it?
      Thanks
      It was not rings, it was my head. The re-manufactured head was bad and had to be warranty replaced, then the repair went bad.. I have lost my car for over 4 months and it is broken worse now than when I brought it in.. heh

I would say best thing for you to do is start a new Thread and the guys on here are AMAZING! They will help you a ton.

Good luck!!

Darsen

What's wrong with my car?
      Thanks
      Oh well looks like it is not my case since I just had the head resurface and checked. I created a new one but no response. We'll see. Best luck.