•  

Thread: 09 Aveo coil pack wiring

What's wrong with my car?
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks

09 Aveo coil pack wiring

Looking for information on how to test the coil pack on my 1.6l. I have power and ground not sure what I should see on the ref wire and are the 4 wires to the coils them self power or ground. I can't tell that I am getting anything from the ECU. No cel and the crank sensor is good as I'm seeing rpm when I crank. Is there anything else that controls spark?

Thanks
      Unless you have some fancy equipment, you won't be able to test the coil signal wires. Its a pulsed signal.

I would pull one spark plug at a time, ground it on the block (if you're holding it, use a glove), and see if it sparks when you crank the engine. Do them one by one.

Lifetime owner
      Thanks
      The 09 coil pack is one coil pack unit with all four plugs.. You can't do one at a time.

What are you trying to diagnose? A good scanner can tell you what cylinder is misfiring.

0300 is general misfire, 0301 is cylinder 1, 0302 is cylinder 2, etc.

Thanks
      The car cranks and won't start with no fault codes. Injectors fire but no spark.

Lifetime owner
      Thanks
      It won't give too many engine codes unless it is running.

If your handy (being your looking to schematics to test a coil i assume you are), some things to try / consider that are basic..

You verified fuel in the rail? The injectors will click whether there is fuel there or not. Either starting fluid in the manifold, or check the schrader valve for gas pressure.

The oil pressure switch on the side of the timing car (by the passenger axle) cuts spark if there is no oil pressure. Sometimes the screen gets clogged/ or the sensor quits. I don't remember if you jump it to ground, or unplug it. Try both and see if that fixes it (as long as you are certain you have oil and oil pressure).

Check the relays.

You could pull the coil pack, and then all four plugs, and put them in the coil, plug it in, and try starting the car. As long as the plug threads are grounded somewhere, they should spark. You can also do this to check if there is gas in the cylinders (don't do both at the same time, spark + gas mist = no eyebrows. when checking for spark, put some rags down there.

Thanks
      Ive checked most everything. I have fuel and the injectors fire I do not have spark though. No fault code at any time. I have narrowed it down to what I think is either the coil pack or ECU. Not sure why oil pressure would keep it from firing. Most engines don't build much if any pressure until they start. The units I worked on had a 30 second delay for oil with an auto start sequence. I have all crank and cam sensors also. Just not sure if there is anything I am missing. And I checked the relays and voltage check at the plug to the eCU. All looks good but no spark.

Thanks
      I just purchased a replacement coil. Dropped it in, and nothing! DOA, removed it and replaced old. At least it runs, misfires tho. so, off to get refund and try again. Seems, like it didn't reckonize new and looking if perhaps I needed to disconnect battery or not prior to swap.