•  
    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 05 aveo lt coolant temp low when car is moving

What's wrong with my car?
      Thanks

05 aveo lt coolant temp low when car is moving

Hi all. I have an issue with my 05 aveo LT... when car is stationnary, temperature gauge reads just fine... but when the car is moving, the temp gauge stays between 50 and 75 F.... I checked coolant level and was good... so I went ahead and replaced the thermostat unit.. ( as this seemed to be the likely culprit)... flushed the coolant system... topped off with new coolant... bleed system.. went for a drive and still have the same issue.... any ideas on what to check next?

Almost time to do my timing belt
      Thanks
      Have you checked to see if the fan is running as a result of a short or bad switch/sensor?

Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by avguy View Post
      Have you checked to see if the fan is running as a result of a short or bad switch/sensor?

fan is not running...

Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by DJ-UniK View Post
      .. but when the car is moving, the temp gauge stays between 50 and 75 F....
      You meant to say 50 and 75C, right? Is the gauge just under 1/2 at idle, and then goes down gradually as you travel? And then how fast does it come back up to just under 1/2 way up if you stop and idle? Do you have an IR gun? It would be important to know what the actual coolant temps are and that they correlate to what the gauge is reading.
      Definitely want to get it figured out though because running too cool will sludge up you engine and also kill gas mileage.

Thanks
      yeah sorry my bad about the farenheit..... max temp is 125 so it must be in celcius.... I don't have my IR gun with me, so didn't get the temps... but let's just say that when car is moving gauge won't go past 1/4 mark.... when stopped for a few minutes will go up but not to the halfway mark..... when I filled the coolant system and was checking that everything was fine and not leaking(last weekend), took at least 25-30 minutes to get temp to halfway ( but it's winter here, so is pretty normal)....

Thanks
      ok so I took the car today, OBD lamp came on... hooked up scanner, active fault P0128, coolant thermostat( coolant Temp below thermostat regulating temperature) Freeze frame data: Fuel system 1- CL, Fuel system 2- CL Fault, Load%- 69.41, ECT 140 F, STFT B1- 1.56, LTFT B1- 0.78, Map- 19.19 InHG, Rpm- 2409, Vehicule Speed- 57 mph, Spark adv- 30.00°, IAT- 23F, TPS- 24.71%....

I'll keep it and add a turbo
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by DJ-UniK View Post
      ok so I took the car today, OBD lamp came on... hooked up scanner, active fault P0128, coolant thermostat( coolant Temp below thermostat regulating temperature) Freeze frame data: Fuel system 1- CL, Fuel system 2- CL Fault, Load%- 69.41, ECT 140 F, STFT B1- 1.56, LTFT B1- 0.78, Map- 19.19 InHG, Rpm- 2409, Vehicule Speed- 57 mph, Spark adv- 30.00°, IAT- 23F, TPS- 24.71%....
      I am going to keep an eye on this post if you dont mind. I would like to know what the outcome is because I am working on my engine now and will be added alot of new stuff. Sounds like the wrong thermostat really because some open up at different temperatures. If it opens to soon, your coolant will never get hot enough to perform the function it is suppose to do. The temp should be stamped on the thermastat.

Thanks
      I'm wondering about a possible bad heat sensor being the cause of what you're seeing. Did you confirm those low temps by taking hose readings with your IR gun? How about the heat from the heater? It should be producing very poor heat if the coolant temps are really that low.

Lifetime owner
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks
      it sounds like your thermostat is stuck open, so the radiator is over cooling the engine while you are moving, but when you are not, the engine can warm back up..

Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by petrified.rabbit View Post
      it sounds like your thermostat is stuck open, so the radiator is over cooling the engine while you are moving, but when you are not, the engine can warm back up..
      That was my first though also, but the OP said he replaced it, trying to fix this problem. So the old one, and the new both doing exactly the same thing? That would be quite a coincidence, but I guess it's not impossible.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast