•  

Thread: 05 Aveo cranks, no start

What's wrong with my car?
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks

05 Aveo cranks, no start

I own an 05 Aveo with 150000 kms.

So this is how it started, went to the gas station last week to fill up and when I got back in the car it would crank but wouldn't start. It fact I nearly got it to start but the engine felt like it was flooded. It never started again after that.

I'm not sure if it matters but I put about 35 liters of gas in the tank.

I removed the spark plugs to see if they were wet, the two on the outside were dry and the two in the middle were drenched with engine oil, pointing to a bad valve cover gasket. I replaced the valve cover gasket and all 4 spark plugs. I knew this probably wouldn't fix the problem but it had to be done anyway.

- Spark plugs were checked for fire and there is no fire, in all 4 cylinders

- Tach shows 0 RPM while cranking

- Check engine light will not come on when the ignition is on

- Fuel pump seems to be working fine (by the sound of it)

- When the car was accelerating it would frequently misfire between 2k-3k rpm.

- Resistance for primary ignition coil pack checks fine, I'm unable to get a reading for the secondary coil but I might be doing something wrong.

Any help will be greatly appreciated. I'm about to give up and pay a visit to a dealership to get another car.

Thanks

Almost time to do my timing belt
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by brokenaveo05 View Post
      .... - When the car was accelerating it would frequently misfire between 2k-3k rpm. ...
      So it sounds like you're saying it had not been running well, even before the current no-start issue - is that correct? How long had it been running poorly, and did you ever have it checked for codes?

AFA the no-start, there may be an issue with the gas you put in, and the ECM might have shut ignition down in order to protect the engine. Although that's not highly likely, it's an easy thing to test for. Try disconnecting the battery overnight (or touch the cables together for half a minute or so), in order to reset the stored ECM learned data. Then reconnect the battery and spray a small bit of carb cleaner or starter fluid into the throttle body, and try to see if it will start and run on that for a few seconds. Do that first, before any attempt to start it with the gas that's currently in the vehicle.

Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by avguy View Post
      So it sounds like you're saying it had not been running well, even before the current no-start issue - is that correct? How long had it been running poorly, and did you ever have it checked for codes?
      That's right, it's been going for a few months, there's a hole in my exhaust pipe so I thought that was the reason why and I never thought too much of it.

I never had it checked for codes, I guess I'll have to purchase a diagnostic tool...

I just disconnected the battery and will try what you suggested tomorrow.

Thanks again

Thanks
      Ok so I managed to run a scan, I’m getting a P2610, I guess it would be a good idea to purchase a new ECM?

Almost time to do my timing belt
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by brokenaveo05 View Post
      Ok so I managed to run a scan, I’m getting a P2610, I guess it would be a good idea to purchase a new ECM?
      I recommend checking the crank position sensor for reference, ground, and signal before hanging on any parts.

I'll keep it and add a turbo
      Thanks
      https://www.obd-codes.com/p2610

First thing I would do is check for bad fuses .

Wyr
      God bless

Thanks
      I had a 2004 Aveo that would run but then stall but it would restart. Then the next day it did not even start. There was no spark from the coils. I found that the crankshaft position sensor died at 120k miles which yours is about 93k miles after conversion. Its next to the oil filter and its held in place with 1 allen bolt. If you want to pull a code for it you have to crank that engine for 20 seconds straight to set a crankshaft position code. 5 to 10 second of cranking time does not set the code.

Do not replace ECU. Code 2610 is this. Any loss of battery voltage to the ECM while the ignition is ON, can also cause a P2610 to set.

It says to disconnect the battery for 5 mins then reconnect with the key off and clear codes right away after reconnecting battery.

Should I keep it?
      Thanks
      ECM's get blamed for way too many problems that are the result of something else. ECM's rarely go bad, it is usually something else. Make sure the your grounds are good and test everything else to verify the proper signal is getting to the ECM.

https://www.engine-codes.com/p2610.html

Thanks
      Go for the crankshaft position sensor or camshaft position sensor. Only then will rpm be zero.

Should I keep it?
      Thanks
      "Go for the crankshaft position sensor or camshaft position sensor. Only then will rpm be zero."

agree. had the same issue - zero rpm for several hours, then no start while hot. took out crankshaft sensors and it shows no resistance while hot, some after cool down.