•  
    Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: Why an Aveo automatic gets poor city MPG

What's wrong with my car?
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by Sofes View Post
      Yeah, I kinda agree. It is way too expensive when we can just do it with our own feet.
      I pass by and saw this post regarding the Automatic transmission for aveo. I also have experience with this module. If you ask me, a complete waste of money. This thing just fake throttle electronic signal, and when you are using it, the transmission did not go smoothly, and when you try decelerate you will receive a nudge when your transmission shifted down, which overall make your drive feeling suck. Completely incompatible with aveo...

Forgive my english, i came from an Asian country so...bad english for me. Nice forum with fine people you have here.

P.S. I own Chevy Aveo 1.4 A/T. In the city my petrol consumption is 7km/ltr(Extremely bad traffic in Bangkok, Thailand) and 16km/ltr outside the city. Never convert to MPG, so you might have to do your own conversion.

What's wrong with my car? SeanBangkok's Avatar
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by barbrulez View Post
      P.S. I own Chevy Aveo 1.4 A/T. In the city my petrol consumption is 7km/ltr(Extremely bad traffic in Bangkok, Thailand) and 16km/ltr outside the city. Never convert to MPG, so you might have to do your own conversion.
      I'm in Bangkok also, driving, what sounds like the same vehicle as you in similar conditions.
      But I have to add that I've never had fuel consumption as good, or bad as what you've mentioned. In town I get around 8.5-9 and on the open road, maybe 12 ish.

Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by SeanBangkok View Post
      I'm in Bangkok also, driving, what sounds like the same vehicle as you in similar conditions.
      But I have to add that I've never had fuel consumption as good, or bad as what you've mentioned. In town I get around 8.5-9 and on the open road, maybe 12 ish.
      I'm barbrulez, i forgot my old password so i am using this login. If you drive around silom, ratprao, rama 4, sukhumvit (at 6pm), you will get the same rate as i do. If you feel like going up-country, may be go to chonburi and check your consumption, you will get close to 16km/ltr !

What's wrong with my car? SeanBangkok's Avatar
      Thanks
      Before I moved down to work in Bangkok, I was working in Udon Thani and lived in Nong Khai.
      Lovely open roads with very little traffic - very easy to travel around.

Even in these areas for a return trip - Udon to Nong Khai and back which was 130km's I used around 11-12 liters for the trip.
      I don't think that I have ever got much more than 12km's / liter from my Aveo. Even on long journey's from Udon down to Khon Kaen or Khorat the same.
      Always sticking to a regular 100-120km's per hour.

Even now, I have to make regular trips to Bangsaen, Rayong, Pattaya and Sattahip - always a similar result fuel consumption wise.

Thanks
      Ic may be I'm someone who drive economically

Because of its pathetic acceleration, I give up accelerate and let the speed climb slowly. May be that's why, and personally, I find myself getting good mileage with speed above 120km/hr.

Thanks
      hi guys, I'm from KL, Malaysia...
      my F.C is well tracked since day 1 of getting this car (which was a 2nd hand manufactured in 06 registered in 0
      Fuelly | Share and Compare Your MPG

typically i'm kinda bad on both of my car's FC rate....not really sure if it's my driving style....or i'm just that unlucky in getting cars in bad F.C conditions....

I tried to drive more conservative and not accelarate a lot and braking at last minute.....it does not save much fuel when it comes to the aveo 1.4 DOHC sedan (notchback) yr 08.

the best i've ever gotten is 14.8km/L with driving at 90km/h consistently on highway...this was when my newborn baby was onboard...=) otherwise crusing at 110kmh/120kmh gives about 13km/L
      at city typically it's very hard to even hit 10km/L on bad traffic days we get ~8km/L
      averaging around 9km/L

so I think I'm gonna give fuel consumption rate a rest and start driving my chevy the way louis chevrolet would have driven it!
      let's ram that RPM high and see what it's got.....

actually....the car can give really powerful acceleration if you step on it.....you have to give that extra pressure after the accelerator pedal is all the way down still....it can ram the rpm up til 5000-6000rpm that's when u get the real power of this 1.4 dohc engine hahaha....but needless to say it's not good for your engine to keep doing that.....but when overtaking and so forth....it really does the job real quick =)

so i dun think it's acceleration is pathetic at all, just that u need extra pressure EVENTHOUGH the pedal is already all the way down....

Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by Thymeclock View Post
      After considerable research I found the transmission is made by Aisin, a Japanese manufacturer with a good reputation for quality transmissions. It is an ordinary 4 speed, with no overdrive. The same transmission is found on all Aveos made from 2004 to 2010. I recently found the service manual for this transaxle, Aisin 81-40LE. It can be found on-line at: http://www.anagabriela.ro/.../2.%20AISI ... NSAXLE.pdf

The graph on page 5A2-12 shows the manufacturer’s specification for shift points. (The graph is stated in KMH, so I’ve converted the figures to MPH for this discussion.) The graph shows the shift points will vary somewhat according to the TPS (throttle position) reading. On my car a scan gauge registers the TPS reading at idle at about 16; very conservative (slow) acceleration would be about 25; brisk or above average acceleration would be about 35 TPS.

According to the graph, at 25 TPS the shift points should be at about 11, 20 and 27 MPH. At 35 TPS it should shift at about 12, 22, and 32 MPH. I compared what I am actually getting on my car, at about 35 TPS, which would be considered average or brisk acceleration. I found it actually shifts at about 15, 25, and 45 MPH. In other words, the upshift into the highest gear (fourth) is much too late. Most 4 speed transmissions typically shift at approximately 10, 20 and 30 MPH. The delayed shift into high gear at around 45 is a major reason for delivering poor city FE. I live in suburbia. On major roads, typically the speed limit is 40. Unfortunately, when there is traffic it is impossible to break 45 – thus the car is spending most of its time in first, second and third gears at best, and it virtually never goes into high gear, which would yield the best fuel efficiency.

The transmission shift points are entirely determined by an electronic module called the transmission control module (TCM) which was designed and pre-programmed by Chevrolet. The shift points for which it is programmed are widely different than the documented specifications of the manufacturer, Aisin. I visited a Chevrolet dealer and spoke with the service manager to see if the TCM could be reprogrammed. He told me that they could do nothing to change it, unless Chevrolet had issued a service bulletin update for the program (which is has not done in the past five years that Chevy has been using this transmission on the Aveo). In other words, unless and until Chevy engineering rewrites the programming of the shift points and offers it as an update for dealers to install, nothing can be done to rectify the existing discrepancy. I then visited my local transmission shop (AAMCO) and asked the same questions. They confirmed that there is no way to reprogram the TCM unless Chevrolet rewrites the programming for it.

From what I have read on the web this is a very common complaint for Aveos. Most owners are unaware that their cars are late in shifting into fourth gear and frustrated with their poor city mileage. Seeing that there is documentation supporting the fact that the TCM programming of Chevrolet is greatly divergent from the specifications of Aisin, the manufacturer of the transmission, I believe Aveo owners have a valid grievance against GM and should press to have the situation rectified.

Who can we complain to? How can we unite to complain effectively and have Chevrolet correct this situation?
      Has anyone driven the same year Suzuki Swift to see if they have better shifting range for fuel economy?
      If so could one ask a Suzuki dealer to do a TCM update on a Wave/Aveo to get the specifications of Aisin ?

Thanks
      A quick way to check would be to compare their fuel economy ratings for the same year.

I suspect they'll be identical, which would mean same programming.

Thanks

Thumbs up

Has anyone driven the same year Suzuki Swift to see if they have better shifting range for fuel economy?
      If so could one ask a Suzuki dealer to do a TCM update on a Wave/Aveo to get the specifications of Aisin ?

Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
      A quick way to check would be to compare their fuel economy ratings for the same year.

I suspect they'll be identical, which would mean same programming.
      Yes I understand that in theory, but the fuel economy ratings may be duplicates of similar/clone vehicles, not actual results of each model, so I asked for anyone's firsthand experience with shifting in other model. Or do Suzuki Enginneers follow the specs of Chevy/Pontiac, or do their own specs?
      Last edited by NelsonWave; 06-07-2017 at 12:04 AM.

Thanks
      My take: If the engineers had re-programmed the trans to get better fuel economy than the Aveo, they would have had the fuel economy re-tested so they could advertise the benefit. Otherwise it why bother working on that competitive advantage?

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast