•  
    Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread: Why an Aveo automatic gets poor city MPG

Still love my daily driver Thymeclock's Avatar
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by alleycat_42 View Post

OK everyone here it is and I agree with everything you say about GM and their bad attitude towards Aveo owners and problematic vehicles.
      While driving along at a regular pace and once the vehicle hits say 45 MPH or 2500 to 3000 RMP just quickly turn the ignition key on and off while driving and it will reset the TPS for some reason and shift into 4th gear or OD. I found this on my own and the GM dealer has no fix for the problem. This will save everyone a great deal of gas and also make your engine last longer because its RMP's are lowered. The next thing I might try on my own is to buy an EVEO Chip to see iof it will reprogram the shift points and I won't have to use my manual method of shifting into 4th gear. The Chip is only worth about $80. I will let everyone know if it works and good luck to all with the temporary fix. Please let me know if it also works for everyone out there.
      Cheers Brian
      It sounds to me like you don't fully understand this transmission. It's a 4-speed automatic. By 45 MPH it has long since shifted into 4th gear, which would have occurred at around 35 MPH or so. At 45 MPH the torque converter locks up, but unfortunately never before that. The car has no overdrive, per se. It only has the TC lockup which acts as a quasi overdrive - and accordingly, the only time the car gets really good MPG is when the TC is in lockup mode. If your speed drops to about 40 MPH, it goes back into slushbox mode.

What's wrong with my car?
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by Thymeclock View Post
      It sounds to me like you don't fully understand this transmission. It's a 4-speed automatic. By 45 MPH it has long since shifted into 4th gear, which would have occurred at around 35 MPH or so. At 45 MPH the torque converter locks up, but unfortunately never before that. The car has no overdrive, per se. It only has the TC lockup which acts as a quasi overdrive - and accordingly, the only time the car gets really good MPG is when the TC is in lockup mode. If your speed drops to about 40 MPH, it goes back into slushbox mode.
      ************************************************** ********************************************
      I fully understand the transmission and know it is anordinary 4 speed, with no overdrive. The same transmission is found onall Aveo’s made from 2004 to 2010. The problem is that there are a lot of thesecars out there running around in a maximum 3rd gear no matter what speed youattain. This is very hard on the engine and car overall because of the excessiveRMP. If you choose to switch the ignition key on and off quickly while drivingdown the road at anything over 40 MPG it will trick the transmission into shiftinginto 4th gear. This is a temporary fix since GM has no fix and can be usedwithout hurting anything on your car as far as I know. Since running around athighway speeds and 4000 RPM is a little hard on gas feel free to give it a tryon your Aveo if you’re having the same problem as most Aveo owners. You will bepleasantly surprised at the new lower gas consumption and lower heat that yourcar runs at.
      Cheers
      Brian

Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by alleycat_42 View Post
      ************************************************** ********************************************
      I fully understand the transmission and know it is anordinary 4 speed, with no overdrive. The same transmission is found onall Aveo’s made from 2004 to 2010. The problem is that there are a lot of thesecars out there running around in a maximum 3rd gear no matter what speed youattain. This is very hard on the engine and car overall because of the excessiveRMP. If you choose to switch the ignition key on and off quickly while drivingdown the road at anything over 40 MPG it will trick the transmission into shiftinginto 4th gear. This is a temporary fix since GM has no fix and can be usedwithout hurting anything on your car as far as I know. Since running around athighway speeds and 4000 RPM is a little hard on gas feel free to give it a tryon your Aveo if you’re having the same problem as most Aveo owners. You will bepleasantly surprised at the new lower gas consumption and lower heat that yourcar runs at.
      Cheers
      Brian
      If the transmission isn't going into fourth gear, the cause should be pretty easy to establish. It's either the transmission itself or the TCM. You shouldn't have to resort to the process you suggested to make it work. Later models are covered by a five year warranty. I've gotten warranty work done on my 2009 when it was necessary. But it helps to know how to state your case to the dealership effectively, such that they will not give you a runaround.

Should I keep it?
      Thanks
      Would a Pivot AT-Drive help in MPG?

http://www.pivotracing.com/files/199..._catalog-e.pdf

Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by Sofes View Post
      Would a Pivot AT-Drive help in MPG?

Hard to tell. They make no mention of the torque converter lockup point (which is what the real problem is) and that page doesn't provide the list of compatible vehicles. Also they are in Japan, so it's not available for the American market. Maybe someday we might see something similar, if the idea is marketable...

Lifetime owner
      Thanks
      (Not Compatible with the electronic throttle car models)

the fine print of that product says:

(Not Compatible with the electronic throttle car models)

Should I keep it?
      Thanks
      Opps... missed that out...

Looks like this is the correct one...

Timing belt broke, do I keep it? thehunterooo's Avatar
      Thanks
      $300! whewwww

Lifetime owner
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by Sofes View Post
      Opps... missed that out...

Looks like this is the correct one...

thats not worth it, it just adjusts for your foot, if you want 15% throttle, push the pedal 15% if you want 30% throttle push it 30% not get device that adjusts to that.

Should I keep it?
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by petrified.rabbit View Post
      thats not worth it, it just adjusts for your foot, if you want 15% throttle, push the pedal 15% if you want 30% throttle push it 30% not get device that adjusts to that.
      Yeah, I kinda agree. It is way too expensive when we can just do it with our own feet.

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast