•  

Thread: W00t !

Should I keep it?
      Thanks

W00t !

I just traveled from Kentucky to Northern Georgia, and averaged 40.5 MPG in my automatic Aveo. It was about a 85% Highway/15% City drive. I know it'll be even better in the summer time. W00t ! W00t ! Anyone else have good numbers recently ?

Last edited by Aveeo; 01-28-2011 at 10:35 PM. Reason: Miscalculation

TROUBLE
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by Aveeo View Post
      I just traveled from Kentucky to Northern Georgia, and averaged 40.5 MPG in my automatic Aveo. It was about a 85% Highway/15% City drive. I know it'll be even better in the summer time. W00t ! W00t ! Anyone else have good numbers recently ?
      I have a 2010 aveo 5 hatchback auto 14,000 miles average around 100 miles aday.best I have gotten is 30 on hiway. tire pressure cks weekly car runs good no misses mileage just sucks. I have put octane bouster and it still will not do any better than 30 mpg any fixes or things to try?

Lifetime owner
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks
      its not necessarily about octane. have you tried filling with another station?

i have two stations locally that by brand, not location, that i lose 3-4 mpg. typically i notice 30-50 less miles on the odometer per tank depending on driving style at the time. I was using them consistently for a while because i could pull into the better gas stations driveway without getting hung up.. when i finally put in the other brand again i went from 27-29mpg to 33 mpg..

TROUBLE
      Thanks

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kkeenum View Post
      I have a 2010 aveo 5 hatchback auto 14,000 miles average around 100 miles aday.best I have gotten is 30 on hiway. tire pressure cks weekly car runs good no misses mileage just sucks. I have put octane bouster and it still will not do any better than 30 mpg any fixes or things to try?
      Thanks because I buy my gas with same company because the are all over town and the gas itself and price are always the same.

Should I keep it?
      Thanks
      The best thing to do is slow down. If you go on long trips, take the more rural highways. I was only getting 33 at best going on the interstate, but I get on the rural highway for the majority of the trip and I now get 38+ MPG. My trip usually took around 6 and a half hours on the interstate, and taking the state or U.S. Routes takes about a half hour more time. It's definitely worth it; you can see the countryside, have a more peaceful drive, and get significantly better fuel economy.

In your commute to work, try to take the roads with the least stops. If you get your torque-converter to lock-up for the entire trip(I can get it to at 40MPH if I apply a very little, constant pressure to the gas pedal), then you're fuel economy will drastically improve. There's many more ideas online to help increase your MPG's, and it's strongly affected by the way you drive and your driving conditions. Sorry for the long reply, but I wish you luck.

Should I keep it?
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by petrified.rabbit View Post
      its not necessarily about octane. have you tried filling with another station?

i have two stations locally that by brand, not location, that i lose 3-4 mpg. typically i notice 30-50 less miles on the odometer per tank depending on driving style at the time. I was using them consistently for a while because i could pull into the better gas stations driveway without getting hung up.. when i finally put in the other brand again i went from 27-29mpg to 33 mpg..
      I've seen this also. I fill up at my local Marathon in Kentucky, and I get better fuel economy (1 or 2 MPG) going to Georgia than coming back. I know I filled up at a stop-n-shop in my old neighborhood, and my fuel economy suffered pretty badly.
      Last edited by Aveeo; 03-23-2011 at 09:37 PM.

Still love my daily driver Thymeclock's Avatar
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by Aveeo View Post
      In your commute to work, try to take the roads with the least stops. If you get your torque-converter to lock-up for the entire trip(I can get it to at 40MPH if I apply a very little, constant pressure to the gas pedal), then you're fuel economy will drastically improve.
      It probably has nothing to do with the type of gas used, but everything to do with the torque converter lockup. The converter doesn't lock up until you reach 45 MPH. (That is ingly late, but that's the way it is.) If you watch your tach, it feels like a shift. It will stay in lock up mode until about 40 MPH at the very lowest margin. If your speed drops to less than that it unlocks and your fuel economy will decrease drastically. I get 37 MPG at 65 MPH. But at speeds of less than 40 the car gets only 22 MPG. If you do only highway driving, you've got it made; if you do only city driving, you're out of luck.

Driving slower is not the answer; keeping the A/T in lockup mode IS.

Should I keep it?
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by Thymeclock View Post
      It probably has nothing to do with the type of gas used, but everything to do with the torque converter lockup. The converter doesn't lock up until you reach 45 MPH. (That is ingly late, but that's the way it is.) If you watch your tach, it feels like a shift. It will stay in lock up mode until about 40 MPH at the very lowest margin. If your speed drops to less than that it unlocks and your fuel economy will decrease drastically. I get 37 MPG at 65 MPH. But at speeds of less than 40 the car gets only 22 MPG. If you do only highway driving, you've got it made; if you do only city driving, you're out of luck.

Driving slower is not the answer; keeping the A/T in lockup mode IS.
      City mileage sucks so bad, that I'm gonna get a Motorscooter for a 2nd vehicle. I think that I can use less than a gallon of gas every 2 weeks on a motorscooter, compared to 10 gallons every two weeks in my Aveo. In less than 3 years, the motorscooter would pay for itself in gas savings. Too bad you can't ride one for 7 hours straight.

Lifetime owner
      Thanks
      you could ride on for 7 hours straight, but you wouldnt get very far :P

Almost time to do my timing belt ontarian_frog's Avatar
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by petrified.rabbit View Post
      you could ride on for 7 hours straight, but you wouldnt get very far :P
      If he gets a 650 Burgman, he'll be able to go farther than the Aveo!

I leased Pontiac Wave from September 2006 to August 2011.