•  
    Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Terrible MPG Since Day 1..Anyone Else?

What do you mean there's no turbo? AveoJoe's Avatar
      Thanks
      FlaAveo5 no I have the sv model no air no power anything less weight why get something that I'll just rip out? most all of what you see I added to it headers 2.5'' pipe side pipe sai and Eibach sport springs. I removed about 200+ LBS from the car no to include the back seat and spare tire that's about 80+ lbs.

Thanks
      OK so I drive 16 miles to work most of are side streets max speed the is 60. It gets about 356+mp tank full. That's 10g's

Should I keep it?
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by JPD View Post
      I'm running an Aveo Sedan 1.4l 5sp Manual in Bangkok Thailand and getting around 29mpg. This is my one disappointment with the car; when I purchased it, the only alternatives were the Toyota Vios (Yaris Sedan), Honda City and Nissan Tida, so the Aveo seemed the choice with the smallest engine (1.4) and 0% financing from Chevrolet. Since then a new range of eco cars have been released, the Nissan March, Honda Brio (47mpg) and the Kia Piccanto (60mpg!).
      Since joining this forum, I ordered a Scan Gauge E, $104 delivered, so I'll finally be able to see what driving behavior affects mpg, as up until now I've been guessing. For example, as my Aveo is a manual, I always thought I was saving gas by coasting in neutral as the car rolls better without the engine braking effect, however, all cars have coast down mode which cuts fuel, so maybe I've been doing the wrong thing. When I get the scan gauge I'll be able to see exactly. I'm not expecting the 33% improvement claimed, though!
      I've also joined another forum, ecomodding, which has lots of suggestions for driving behavior, aerodynamic mods and weight-saving, but at some point you have to wonder about the Aveo - how come it's so poor? Guys on ecomodding are claiming 50mpg with a Cruze - come on! How's that possible?
      I sold off my previous Honda Fit due to the resale value. Had some modification done on it for performance, kind of heartpain selling it, but no chioce.

Got my current Aveo5. Overall, I like it, it drives with more stability than my Fit... etc... but the disappointment is the MPG.

Anyway, I just try to enjoy the ride as much as I can.

Thanks
      when coming close to a stop sign or red light I drop it into neutral say about 100 ft or so never go past 3k rpm most of the time at 2.5 rpm when changing to the next gear I'm used to the exhaust sound when its at 2.5 k rpm. I also give little gas going up a hill and none coming down until it drops just below the speed limit. 356 miles per 10 gallon tank.

Thanks
      gas price is at $329 a gallon also never down shift it uses more gas then just hitting the breaks

What do you mean there's no turbo? FlaAveo5's Avatar
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by AveoJoe View Post
      gas price is at $329 a gallon also never down shift it uses more gas then just hitting the breaks
      Well having an automatic, I have little choice in shifting. I try to glide to stoplights,and not jackrabbit start at the green lights. I am FAR from removing my backseats,and the rate I get flat tires in Fla. the spare is staying. Gas here in Fla just went down to $3.51 USA dollars. IF my car took E85...it would be $3.25...but then the mileage would be even worse!!! Your car looks like an 2006 as well. Is the SV model the very base model? Here in Fla. if you dont have A/C you dont drive a car! My car is the LS,being basic, no power anything except steering and brakes. I just filled up yesterday, and I am getting 19mpg. Once the heat lightens up, the A/C can go off for some of the time. But it is still a few months away. Just hoping I get that rear wing for X-Mas maybe.

Thanks
      Here in Fla. if you dont have A/C you dont drive a car? I'm in Marion county FLA.

Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by AveoJoe View Post
      Here in Fla. if you dont have A/C you dont drive a car? I'm in Marion county FLA.
      I dont know about Northern Fla. temps.,....come to South Fla in the summer and try to live in a car without A/C all day,...unless of course you enjoy have enormous wet spots of sweat on your shirts and pants when you get to work of course.

Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by Sofes View Post
      I sold off my previous Honda Fit due to the resale value. Had some modification done on it for performance, kind of heartpain selling it, but no chioce.

Got my current Aveo5. Overall, I like it, it drives with more stability than my Fit... etc... but the disappointment is the MPG.

Anyway, I just try to enjoy the ride as much as I can.
      I know I started this topic, but I guess we all have to remember that when the EPA is slapping on that unbelievable MPG sticker onto the car, they test it under absolutely perfect condition, in climate controlled buildings,etc...so that they can put the highest numbers possible. Then in the tiny tiny print they put in the excuse that 'you of course will get less MPG depending on driving conditions...' something like that...I forget how they say it. But it is their way to put on high mileage and not deliver it. I always knew it wouldnt get the high mileage that it said on the window sticker, but when my Ford Ranger truck with a big 6 cyl, that I traded in on this Aveo, thanks to good old George Bush and OPEC, I expected to get a lot more than my truck! I could have kept it, and had fun driving it and have gotten 19MPG driving it! And now have a collectable Ranger 6 years later, and still be paying for gas in the $3-4 range all along, but at least have something that would have been paid off 2 years earlier and enjoy it a lot more than an econobox. I like my Aveo...I LOVED my Ranger. But with gas reaching over $4.00 a gallon in 2006, I thought i was getting a car that would get 24+ in the city...not 17!

Still love my daily driver Nemasys's Avatar
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by serega12 View Post
      There's more to life than MPG
      Not when you buy a car that the dealers puts in big fat letters in the windshield 49 MPG when in reality the car only gets 1/2 of that if you are lucky!

I've had the same problem with my 1.6L from day 1 myself.

On a full tank of gas back when my car was 100% stock, in fact my mileage stayed roughly the same throughout my time with the 1.6L. I would get around 300 to 320 kms on a full tank of gas and the light would flash in my face to feed it more gas. Did not matter if i babied it or stomped on it.

Thats 15-16 mpg btw, on a car thats suposed to get 40+

I've had TERRIBLE gas mileage with this car, my Mazda 3, twice as big, with more power even tho its only the 2.0L its still 158 hp, with a/c blasting gets 550-600 kms on a tank of gas, thats well over 30 mpg. Easy to say im in heaven compared to the aveo's gas mileage!

But don't forget the Aveo's 1.6L is using engine technology thats over 20 years old, it's not as refined as today's newer engines like the 1.5L found in the Toyota Yaris, that car is extremely easy on gas its incredible!

Hopefully the new 1.8L ecotecs and the 1.4L turbo found in the new Sonics will yield better gas mileage, i really hope so for GM's sake...

> 2010 Mazdaspeed 3
      - Fully built, GT35R, 500+ whp

> 2004 Hatchback 2.0L Turbocharged [RETIRED]
      - T3/T4 T04E .60 A/R Compressor
      - HKS SSQV, OBX Wastegate
      - FMIC with 2.5" piping
      - Tuned with Megasquirt II v3.57

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast