•  
    Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Terrible MPG Since Day 1..Anyone Else?

Timing belt broke, do I keep it? thehunterooo's Avatar
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks
      coming from someone who burns more oil than gas now

when I was down there I never really had to drive far to get somewhere, how much gas do you go through a month?

Timing belt broke, do I keep it? serega12's Avatar
      Thanks
      Depends. last month it was only 23 gal. Filled up every two weeks. But I didn't have the drive to school yet. I'm by no means a careful driver as far as mpg, and I keep my rpms pretty high, so my average in the last few months is around 16 mpg. mostly city. On the drive to Seattle with four people in the car and a lot of showing off and a lot of unnecessary downshifting I still got above 21 mpg on the highway. My scan gauge shows pretty high numbers when cruising at 55 mph in 6th gear, upper 20's, low 30's, but I rarely stay there. Handling, acceleration, and 9K rpm redline make up for the lower gas mileage for me.
      2006 Chevrolet Aveo a.k.a. Holden Barina – SOLD
      ​2008 Chevrolet Cobalt SS/TC - SOLD

What do you mean there's no turbo? FlaAveo5's Avatar
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by serega12 View Post
      There's more to life than MPG
      WOW! and I am TRYING to save and install a factory wing!

Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by FlaAveo5 View Post
      WOW! and I am TRYING to save and install a factory wing!
      why a wow?

Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by thehunterooo View Post
      coming from someone who burns more oil than gas now

when I was down there I never really had to drive far to get somewhere, how much gas do you go through a month?
      Are you asking me? i will assume yuo are. I keep the car in top 'tune' It has the oil changed WAY to many times for the mileage on it, but I am anal about it and it is now filled with the new 'Castrol Edge Titanium' synthetic. $9 a quart. As far as how much gas I put in it, I never let it go below 3/4 of a tank. and it hits that mark at 52-61 miles! And that puts back in about 3-3.5 gallons. I think I once let it go DRY and I saw a low fuel light come on...didnt think it had one! and that was like in year 1. When I had a warranty. I put only like 120-150 miles a month on it? I am at 19K now ,I bought it in May of 2006 new. I put in new air filters,cabin filters,change the oil every 3 months with synthectic, and this new type SAYS it can go like 25K miles between changes. I wont do that,But I will go maybe 3,000. Thats about a years driving And I just replaced its sparkplugs with Bosch Plus 4's...and I had Bosch Plus 4's in it before to. But I changed them at 18K, and they do add some power. I like them. So I baby it. I figure I am going to keep this a long time,so I have to keep it as showroom perfect as possible.

Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by serega12 View Post
      why a wow?
      Great looking car! A compliment.

Thanks
      Are you asking me? i will assume yuo are.
      I'm pretty sure he was referring to my rx-8. Rotary engines are designed to consume a little but if oil because it's injected with gas to lubricate the apex seals.

Thanks
      Great looking car! A compliment.
      Thank you

Thanks
      ... the oil every 3 months with synthectic, and this new type SAYS it can go like 25K miles between changes. I wont do that,But I will go maybe 3,000. Thats about a years driving And I just replaced its sparkplugs with Bosch Plus 4's...and I had Bosch Plus 4's in it before to. But I changed them at 18K, and they do add some power. I like them. So I baby it. I figure I am going to keep this a long time,so I have to keep it as showroom perfect as possible.
      On the count of the oil, most of full synthetic oils like that (which I only thought that AMSOil took it up to 25K, but I could be wrong), say on the can "25,000 miles OR 12 months, whichever comes first", so that sounds about right.

Second, that low mileage, does it involve a lot of city driving/idling? Because since you've had your car since 06, your timing belt has been there for 5-6 years, which is quite a bit of time, so I would keep inspecting it to make sure the time didn't take it's toll on it. by 60,000, an average Aveo is supposed to have an X amount of rotations on the timing belt. You can reach that number of rotations a lot sooner if you are mostly driving in city and let it idle for a while.

That's my 2 cents...

JPD
      Should I keep it?
      Thanks
      I'm running an Aveo Sedan 1.4l 5sp Manual in Bangkok Thailand and getting around 29mpg. This is my one disappointment with the car; when I purchased it, the only alternatives were the Toyota Vios (Yaris Sedan), Honda City and Nissan Tida, so the Aveo seemed the choice with the smallest engine (1.4) and 0% financing from Chevrolet. Since then a new range of eco cars have been released, the Nissan March, Honda Brio (47mpg) and the Kia Piccanto (60mpg!).
      Since joining this forum, I ordered a Scan Gauge E, $104 delivered, so I'll finally be able to see what driving behavior affects mpg, as up until now I've been guessing. For example, as my Aveo is a manual, I always thought I was saving gas by coasting in neutral as the car rolls better without the engine braking effect, however, all cars have coast down mode which cuts fuel, so maybe I've been doing the wrong thing. When I get the scan gauge I'll be able to see exactly. I'm not expecting the 33% improvement claimed, though!
      I've also joined another forum, ecomodding, which has lots of suggestions for driving behavior, aerodynamic mods and weight-saving, but at some point you have to wonder about the Aveo - how come it's so poor? Guys on ecomodding are claiming 50mpg with a Cruze - come on! How's that possible?

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast