•  
    Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast

Thread: solved poor aveo fuel economy

What's wrong with my car?
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by Kirby View Post
      Try inflating your tires to at least 38 & run a few tanks of high octane with some fuel cleaner (Techron works well - there are a couple others that do a pretty decent job)

Change your air filter & if you can, change your spark plugs too - you can put the cheapies in (copper) if that's all you want but you can also put irideum in (debateable if it affects mileage any better than the copper but they last longer)

That should easily take you to the mid 20's maybe closer to 30 if your lucky
      Ok ill try that. Ill let you guys know in about a week

Garage empty: add car
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by Thymeclock View Post
      With the automatic it's all related to the programming for the torque converter lockup. It doesn't lockup until 45 MPH which is much later than any Japanese car. (Average speed for entering lockup mode is usually about 38-40 MPH.) When it does lockup you get 37 MPG which is wonderful. At speeds below 45 MPH you get 24 MPG which is terrible. In other words the Aveo is a pig on fuel economy when driven at below highway speeds.
      Newbie here - I don't suppose the "programming" can be changed. I do all town driving and do about 20-22 mpg. Pretty dismal for my "half a car". I also have a Cad SRX my "car and a half" it will do 18 in town.

Thanks
      My 2010 5 speed 1.6L "ECOTEC" Aveo gets 23MPG city. Thats just not right for a tiny car. Hell my buddy just bought a 2015 1/2 ton Ram with a Hemi and he gets 22MPG City, WTH!? I bought this car thinking I would get amazing mileage, boy was I wrong. The thing is really under powered as well. I put new plugs and a K&N filter and have to run high test fuel to get like 1 mpg better. I would trade it in but I don't want a car payment. so I'm stuck with it till the wifes car is paid off. ChevWoo crap.

Almost time to do my timing belt
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by ken48 View Post
      My 2010 5 speed 1.6L "ECOTEC" Aveo gets 23MPG city. Thats just not right for a tiny car. Hell my buddy just bought a 2015 1/2 ton Ram with a Hemi and he gets 22MPG City, WTH!? I bought this car thinking I would get amazing mileage, boy was I wrong. The thing is really under powered as well. I put new plugs and a K&N filter and have to run high test fuel to get like 1 mpg better. I would trade it in but I don't want a car payment. so I'm stuck with it till the wifes car is paid off. ChevWoo crap.
      What vehicle were you driving before you got the Aveo, and what was it getting for the same driving pattern that you're doing now?

Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by avguy View Post
      What vehicle were you driving before you got the Aveo, and what was it getting for the same driving pattern that you're doing now?
      What I was driving before was a 2007 Dodge Ram so obviously it gets better mileage than that did, but not sure how that is relevant. The fact of the matter is larger with more power cars get better mileage than my tiny Aveo. I had a 2007 Chevy Malibu LTZ V6 once with tons of get up and go that got 24-27 MPG. It's just a very unexpected MPG from a "Economy Car"

What do you mean there's no turbo? gclark8's Avatar
      Thanks
      My Aveo now has 6,500km on it, I get 400km to a tankful (40l), when the car was new it was as low as 300km/tank!

I use 95RON Premium Unleaded Fuel from Shell. http://s06.static-shell.com/content/...s/pulp-pds.pdf

See My Garage for fuel figures.
      Last edited by gclark8; 09-27-2013 at 03:04 PM.
      no image

Almost time to do my timing belt
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by ken48 View Post
      ... but not sure how that is relevant. .....
      You need to compare apples to apples. You said you're getting 23MPG city, wich is 4 below the 27 EPA/Book number. But your "city" isn't the same as the EPA city, or anyone else's for that matter. Hopefully we can agree that "city" means non-highway driving, where there is some amount of slow-downs and stops. But there is also a huge amount of variation possible within that broad description. Rabbit lives in Pittsburg. We vistited Pittsburg a couple years ago, and I counted 5,342 bridges, and most of them had construction going on. We burned a LOT of gas going nowhere at all. At home here in Mass, my "city" (slowdowns and stops), is not anything remotely like Pittsburg. I get 33-35 "city" in my '05 5-speed, and would suspect that Rabbit does not get anywhere close to that in Pittsburg. And what's your "city" compare to either one of ours - who knows? And your friend with the Hemi - he doesn't follow you around, so his driving pattern has to be different than yours.
      So what I'm getting at is that the ONLY way for you to know if your Aveo is really doing that bad, is to drive another vehicle (or more than one), and compare that one to it's own EPA/book city MPG. Now I know you probably can't easily do that, but who knows, maybe your friend with the Hemi would like to drive an Aveo. Maybe your Aveo is really that bad - IDK. But without this type of comparison, I don't think you can really know for sure.

Almost time to do my timing belt xintersecty's Avatar
      Thanks
      Not posted in a long time. This work stuff always get in the way. I had an issue with my cam sensor going out. Occasional surges. I got a new one (it's a pain in the butt to install) and properly tighten the timing belt (last Sunday). I had not done that when I changed out belt last time. I had been getting around 27 mpg alternating between city and hwy. I was hoping it will bump up my millage back to the 30 when the car was newer. Alas it did not.

I am doing a big trip on Saturday and will be checking millage and see if my hwy improves. Personally I think at 145K my car is feeling a bit worn.
      Please do not power off, firmware update pending.....

Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by avguy View Post
      You need to compare apples to apples. You said you're getting 23MPG city, wich is 4 below the 27 EPA/Book number. But your "city" isn't the same as the EPA city, or anyone else's for that matter. Hopefully we can agree that "city" means non-highway driving, where there is some amount of slow-downs and stops. But there is also a huge amount of variation possible within that broad description. Rabbit lives in Pittsburg. We vistited Pittsburg a couple years ago, and I counted 5,342 bridges, and most of them had construction going on. We burned a LOT of gas going nowhere at all. At home here in Mass, my "city" (slowdowns and stops), is not anything remotely like Pittsburg. I get 33-35 "city" in my '05 5-speed, and would suspect that Rabbit does not get anywhere close to that in Pittsburg. And what's your "city" compare to either one of ours - who knows? And your friend with the Hemi - he doesn't follow you around, so his driving pattern has to be different than yours.
      So what I'm getting at is that the ONLY way for you to know if your Aveo is really doing that bad, is to drive another vehicle (or more than one), and compare that one to it's own EPA/book city MPG. Now I know you probably can't easily do that, but who knows, maybe your friend with the Hemi would like to drive an Aveo. Maybe your Aveo is really that bad - IDK. But without this type of comparison, I don't think you can really know for sure.
      I'll have to ask around to see what others get with the same commute. I know my wife's 2011 4cyl Ford Escape gets the same mileage as I do with the same driving. I spoke to another friend who drive a Chevy Cavalier not sure the year, 2000 something. She said she gets better than 32 MPG and her commute is the same as mine everyday. I realize there are a lot of variables but bottom line is the Aveo should get a lot better mileage than it does regardless the type of driving.

Thanks
      Either you have mechanical issues, your commute is horrible, or you're the problem (no offense).

Many people don't know that the driver has HUGE influence over mileage. I drive my '05 (also 5 speed) to get good mileage, and I have gotten anywhere from 36 mpg to 43 mpg. My car also has a lower EPA rating than yours does by 3 mpg (combined rating). But, like I said, I drive to get good mileage.

Of all the 2010 Aveos on Fuelly.com, they are averaging 31 mpg. The lowest being 29 mpg. Seems like something isn't right.

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast