•  
    Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Proven Mileage tips?

I'll keep it and add a turbo
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks

Re: Proven Mileage tips?

I've calculated mileage with both an 08 sedan w/automatic and a 08 hatchback manual(my car). The sedan was a loaner car.
      On the sedan I got no more than 30 mpg. With my hatchback, I regularly get 37mpg. On good days I've managed 40mpg, and when I drive it hard I've seen no less than 35mpg.

You won't catch me driving an automatic on a daily basis.

Timing belt broke, do I keep it?
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by petrified.rabbit
      the 17's with tires would distort these numbers also...

i am not going to go look up the math but i think a 205/40r17 is like an inch more diameter than stock.
      which means every revolution of the wheel you are traveling like 3.14 inches further.. which means when your stock speedo says you are going 65 mph you are actually travelling 67 mph.. but it also works like that for the odometer.

for good gas mileage changes get the lightest wheel and tire set up you can.. i think konig daylite or feathers are cheap and like 11-13 lbs.. most of the time a 17" wheel and tire weigh more than the stock 14. which costs you in gas mileage. also if you go bigger that stock rolling diameter you will travel further for the same amount of gas.. but it wouldn't show in your numbers..

if you can find a tune with fuel cut out that will help tremendously on gas savings. (cuts fuel on deceleration) but i doubt that is available since no chips are out for the aveo..

i saw a 20 mile per tank jump when i put lowering springs on.. but i think it was more of a break in, that aerodynamics change.

im runnin 205/35/r17 so it was a lil bit closer and also i was runnin the stockers up front with the wider wheels on the back.

edit: just read my post and saw how it is confusing. currently i have my 17s all around, at the time tho i only had the stockers up front. sorry ::embarrassed::
      You can not commit crimes in a Aveo. Its just not fast enough.

Lifetime owner
      Thanks

where did you find 205/35r17's? i haven't seen those since the mid 90's. (back when 17's were considered HUGE)

What's wrong with my car?
      Thanks

12 k on my 08 svm in the summer i average 35mpg winter so far has been 32mpg
      2008 Aveo SVM "Da roller skate"
      2008 Ford Edge SE
      2005 Pontiac GTO
      1981 Camaro 4 speed
      2006 Yamaha Raptor 700r
      2006 Yamah Wolverine 350

Thanks

For general mileage tips, a good place to start is hypermiler HQ: http://www.cleanmpg.com/ (there is also a nifty mileage log there that will calculate and trend graph your MPG if you enter in basic data):

Remember that the numbers on the vehicle window sticker are not from GM, but the "official" EPA ratings. These ratings changed for the 2008 model year, and went down for just about every vehicle on the road. Go to http://fueleconomy.gov/ to find the numbers for your car. Here's what you'd find on the EPA site if you compare my summer car to my Aveo 5:

For the "estimated new MPG", the EPA is simply using a fudge factor to compensate for the new 2008 testing standards, which take into account more aggressive driving, inclimate weather, and the use of more power accessories (especially A/C). The godfathers of CleanMPG.com would ask that you use the published (ie window sticker) ratings for the vehicle, so in the case of my 2007, it would be 27/37.

I'll tell you that it's tough to achieve really good efficiency in the winter climate, especially when you're talking about below 0 ambient temps and snow. I mean, most people are going to run any car for 5-10 to warm up in my part of the world, and you're going to burn gas and go 0 miles just doing that. The best performance is going to come in the summertime, and I would guess that these cars can crack 40 MPG if well maintained and you drive them without excess weight and avoid the Mario Andretti stuff.
      2007 Chevy Aveo 5 SVM

Almost time to do my timing belt NYChevoo's Avatar
      Thanks

no matter what i do i cant seem to break over 32 mpg with my automatic.
      Missing our beloved 1st gen Aveos everyday!
      Silence is golden. Duct tape is silver!!
      04 Aveo (mine gone but never forgotten)
      07 Aveo 5 (wifes car gone but never forgotten)
      02 Suburban (Eats gas stations as snacks)
      12 Cruze Eco 6MT
      (46mpg daily? Holy crap!)
      12 Sonic 2LT (Wifeys new wheels)

Chevoo-1/2 Chevy, 1/2 Daewoo. I mean like WTF?

What do you mean there's no turbo?
      Thanks

With gas as cheap as it is now, I couldn't give two ****s about watching my mileage.

Thanks

'07 Aveo LT sedan, Auto,8000+ miles, 16 miles per day, about 3miles on a highway the rest city.
      30 mpg
      32 mpg on a 200 mile road trip, going between 30 mph to all most 80 mph.
      Haven't had it on the freeway for any distance.

Should I keep it?
      Thanks

Hi all, I recently bought the January 2009 issue of Popular Mechanics with an article called something like "Fiel economy rules". I can possibly translate it if you guys are interested. Some of them you might know. :P
      Former 08 hatchback owner

Almost time to do my timing belt
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 07_aveo
      With gas as cheap as it is now, I couldn't give two ****s about watching my mileage.
      ah so soon we forget..just what they want

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast