•  
    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mpg help

What's wrong with my car?
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks

Mpg help

i just bought a Aveo 5 aoutomatic. I just hit 1,000 miles, and have only got 25 mpg on each tank. I have drove hwy at 60 - 65 mph and 70-75 mph with no change. when can i expect to reach the numbers that it should.

Almost time to do my timing belt xintersecty's Avatar
      Thanks
      Is this a 2010 model? Don't they have a slightly bigger engine, 1.8 vs. the earlier 1.6?
      Please do not power off, firmware update pending.....

What's wrong with my car?
      Thanks
      it is a 2010 model it does have the 1.6 liter. I bought it for the milage but kinda regreting it now. just wish it was getting what it says it will.

Timing belt broke, do I keep it? thehunterooo's Avatar
      Thanks
      all aveos in the united states have 1.6's, the mpg's will get better with time (break in period if you want to call it), but to get the best mpg's possible you should stay at about 55 mph on the highway, but the EPA numbers on these cars are really high, as they are on a lot of cars.

Still love my daily driver
      Thanks
      I have was running up to 37 last year. Now I run 29-30. Factory tires are back on.
      I have the header and intake. Millage was down to 30 before they were installed.
      I replaced my spark plugs. Injector service (waste of money).

Better than my Jeep. Will have to work.

Lifetime owner
      Thanks
      i don't have an automatic, but if you look, there are fuel maps and charts on here with the optimal speeds/rpms etc, to get the most mileage. IF you are after mileage, i say you buy one of the scanners and install it. IT has helped few members really improve their driving.

I get about 25 mpg all city, and 30 mixed, with @ 35 driving speedily on the highway with the same engine as you.. but a manual.

Still love my daily driver Thymeclock's Avatar
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by ewilkerson82 View Post
      i just bought a Aveo 5 aoutomatic. I just hit 1,000 miles, and have only got 25 mpg on each tank. I have drove hwy at 60 - 65 mph and 70-75 mph with no change. when can i expect to reach the numbers that it should.
      Welcome to the club. You probably will never reach the EPA estimated MPG that it "should". Read this thread (click here). Whenever your car is not in torque converter lockup mode (meaning when it is moving at any speed below 45 MPH) the A/T is inefficient and it will be getting lousy gas mileage. When that factor is added into your combined average city/highway driving it lowers your total MPG substantially. And the bitch of it is that there is no way to change or rectify how the electronically controlled A/T is programmed.

Mine gets 22 city, 37 highway. That very wide spread in the city/highway figures illustrates where the problem lies. Unfortunately, virtually all our driving is below 45 MPH. In cold winter weather such as now, we get about 20 MPG at best. And it makes no difference how conservatively the car is driven. For such a small car, it's pathetic. At low speeds the A/T is a pig on gas consumption.
      Last edited by Thymeclock; 01-15-2011 at 02:26 AM.

Timing belt broke, do I keep it? thehunterooo's Avatar
      Thanks
      i dont get below 24 with me on my local backroads at 5500+ rpm's

I get around 28 or so, but i hit up to 6500 a lot lol

Should I keep it?
      Thanks
      We have a 2004, with 107K, and a currently blown engine. I am rebuilding. Prior to this, we have consistently pulled 34-36mpg. We were pulling 32 at 97K, with a slight miss, and I replaced the plugs/wires, and it went right back to 35-ish.

The only things I have done are a drop in K&N filter, and Mobil 1 full synthetic since about the 2nd, 3rd oil change.

Should I keep it?
      Thanks

Mpg help

The automatic is programed for acceleration in the city, and high fuel economy on the highway. The super-sensitive gas pedal doesn't help anyone's situation either. Even if you lightly push the gas, the thing's rear end flies back and it takes off. I can get 25 maybe 26 in the city on a good day. You'll start to see better fuel economy after you get some mileage on it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast