•  

Thread: great mpg

What's wrong with my car?
      Thanks

great mpg

so i have been messing around with my car to see if i drove "proper" if i would get some good numbers my car has ngk platinum spark plugs and performance wire set a full cold air intake a cherry bomb thrush pipe in place of rear muffler and im getting about 36+ city and mind blowing 50+ highway shifting at 1500-2000 rpms and not speeding doing posted speed limits i just got home and im at about 120 miles on my trip and just less then the with of the gauge needle less gas i also plan to do a hho system in my car over the winter to see if i can get even better mpg has anyone else seen mpgs like this?

Attached Images Attached Images  
      Last edited by ajk148700; 10-26-2012 at 03:13 AM.

Still love my daily driver Thymeclock's Avatar
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by ajk148700 View Post
      so i have been messing around with my car to see if i drove "proper" if i would get some good numbers my car has ngk platinum spark plugs and performance wire set a full cold air intakeherry bomb thrush pipe in place of rear muffler and im getting about 36+ city and mind blowing 50+ highway shifting at 1500-2000 rpms and not speeding doing posted speed limits i just got home and im at about 120 miles on my trip and just less then the with of the gauge needle less gas i plan to do a hho system in my car over the winter has anyone else seen mpgs like this?
      I notice this is your first post on this forum.

It sounds too good to be true.

Thanks
      i posted the wrong picture that one was a 250 mile highway run at about 80 mph the whole time from rochester ny to allentown pa here is the pic i took this morning and just now the night photo my car is in my driveway on a slight hill so the gauge is slighly low Name:  IMAG0701(1).jpg
Views: 527
Size:  263.3 KBName:  FB_IMG_1351219483278835.jpg
Views: 703
Size:  274.9 KB

Thanks
      I've gotten consistently in the low 40s, and a couple tanks in the mid 40s on my commute. Most of it is 55 mph. If I had a slower commute I'm sure I could get it up higher than that. Sorry, but at 80 mph there is no way you are getting close to 50 mpg. The highest mileage productions cars in the world would have trouble getting 50 mpg at 80 mph. What you could have witnessed is a short fill which will throw your numbers off until you fill up again.

I also wouldn't waste your time with a hydrogen kit. NASA has tested them and while they do work, they gave them a 3% increase in mileage, wooohoo. I also doubt the kit you buy online (or make in your garage) is anywhere near the efficiency as the NASA kit.

Thanks
      Are you presently estimating your mileage based on the fuel gauge?

Thanks
      I did the same thing the first tank of gas on my '05. I figured that I had only used about 3 gallons because the gas gauge was only at the 1/4 tank mark after 120 miles. Gas gauges are really not calibrated correctly. You will see that you may go 120 miles on the first 1/4 tank but only maybe 50 miles on the last 1/4 (again, if you are only basing your estimate on the gauge). The best thing to do is to fill up, reset the odometer, drive until you are nearly empty, then fill up again at the same pump. Miels divided by gallons and you have a pretty accurate number. Or, buy a scan guage II and use that (although it can take some adjusting to get those correct). I have always found that straight up math is the mose accurate for me.

Thanks
      Hiveman is correct. Full tank fill up manual calculations are the only way to really be 100% accurate, and even then you'll have variance from tank to tank as it doesn't fill up the exact same amount every time.

Thanks
      you guys are right i just drove to philly pa and back i was getting almost 38mpg for almost all highway driving at 70-80 mph for the 5 hour straight drive i put in 10 gallons of gas and drove 374 miles the gas gauge would drop to half after driving 250ish miles then would drop like crazy after that