•  
    Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Exact mileage calculations for your aveo? Here's mine.

I'll keep it and add a turbo
      Thanks

Exact mileage calculations for your aveo? Here's mine.

I always had an idea of how much gas it was using but never really bothered to actually crunch the numbers and find out the exact MPG or L/100km.

So last time I filled up, I reset the odometer and did 504km then filled up again. It turns out that I used almost exactly 40L of gas to travel those 504km. So if I am not mistaken, this translates to 7.9L/100KM or 29MPG.

Usually I start the car and it's only moments before I start going, I don't wait very long. I'm not sure if this is bad for the mileage. On this tank of gas, I was definitely driving too fast, accelerating too fast etc but not the whole time. There was a significant portion of that driving which was between 90-110kph and quite a lot of city driving.

When filling up before having done the calculations, I felt the mileage was not very good. Turns out it's better than I expected given that I didn't granny it the whole time.

How about you? Real numbers of liters/gallons used versus km/miles traveled only please.

Almost time to do my timing belt ontarian_frog's Avatar
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks

Re: exact mileage calculations for your aveo?

my last two fill-ups we're as followed:

535km 38.25L 33.1mpg 7.15L/100km

537km 40.15L 31.6mpg 7.48L/100km

One the first one, I had about 120km of country driving (ave. 45mph) the rest is about 50/50 city/highway.

On the second one, it was just 50/50 city/highway.

Oh and on the first I had the stock muffler, on the second, my straight pipe. I'm keeping track of my mileage from now on to see if I'm pretty constant.
      I leased Pontiac Wave from September 2006 to August 2011.

Lifetime owner
      Thanks

i wish i had a light foot. I get about 25-29 mpg average, 29 is typically 90% highway, 25 is when i do more cruising about town..

i typically find myself putting in 10 gallons at fill up (+ or - 1/4 gallon most of the time) and get 250-300 on the tripometer.

i have over 23000 miles on my 09. so i don't exactly pick out individual examples.

I'll keep it and add a turbo
      Thanks

Awesome, thanks for the input. Sounds like you're both doing great mileage actually considering the respective driving style.

I forgot to ask for other detail like year/trim/mods. Mine is a totally stock (for now) 04 hatch @ around 92k km.

Almost time to do my timing belt ontarian_frog's Avatar
      Thanks

Straight pipe and intake resonator taken out. that's all. I don't baby mine at all. Around town I'm constantly accelerating hard, highway is usually 75+mph...I do coast at idle a lot around town though. I'm sure that helps a lot.
      I leased Pontiac Wave from September 2006 to August 2011.

What's wrong with my car?
      Thanks

Standard, non-altered 2010 Aveo 5. 2/3 highway miles with usually a 10min delay on the back haul, 1/3 light suburban traffic with limited traffic lights.
      34.5 mpg = 14.7 km per l = 6.8l per 100km.

Still love my daily driver Thymeclock's Avatar
      Thanks

Ours is used for commuting that is all city driving. We cannot get any better than a consistent 22 MPG.

The reason is the A/T programming. This 4-speed tranny can't enter torque converter lockup until 45 MPH - and in true city driving we can never reach that speed.

However, I found it does get 37 MPG on the highway, at 65 MPH with the A/C on. Unfortunately, we hardly ever do any highway driving.

Timing belt broke, do I keep it? serega12's Avatar
      Thanks

Well, time for my .02 cents. I don't have the number in front of me right now, as the only calculation that I do (and it doesn't get recorded, but always gets done) is dividing the miles driven this trip by the gallons put in it during fill up (always to the top).

My MPG has dropped significantly in the last few months, but I have a very good explanation for this.

When I first got my Aveo (right before I sold my CX-7) I transferred all the car seats/baby stuff into the Aveo. So for a while it was our main mode of transportation. With me, my wife, two kids (with pretty large size car seats), all the baby gear, and a double-stroller in the back, I was getting a consistent 24-26 MPG with 3/4 city - 1/4 highway driving. After we got my wife her HHR, the Aveo became completely my baby. It got a CAI, full straight through 2.25" cat-back exhaust, body kit, lowering springs and KYB shocks... With the driving being mostly done in city, meaning a LOT of accelerating off the light to hear my exhaust and feel the extra accelerating power from the intake/exhaust mods, more aggressive cornering/braking, letting it run for a while to warm up before I start driving (the beauty of a remote start to get it all warm on a nasty rainy Seattle day) my MPG reduced to anywhere between 19-23 MPG. I was first very disappointed with it and blamed it on the mods, but then I realized that it's not the mods that are the problem, it's the sudden change in my driving style (with no wife and kids in the car it get a lot more aggressive) If anything, mods would give me extra horse power, so my car wouldn't have to work as hard and get better gas mileage. So when I realized that I started taking it easier (somewhat) and we will see if that will affect my MPG at all. I think if I stayed in the same driving style/habits as I did before I have modded it (shifting between at 2500 RPMs - 3000 RPMs at most and letting it cruise in neutral more) I think my gas mileage would've went up quite a bit with the reduced weight and engine breathing better. Didn't get much chance to test it out in all highway driving because after my contract ended I don't get to do the 150 mile round-trip daily commute anymore, but I'm sure that is still to come...
      2006 Chevrolet Aveo a.k.a. Holden Barina – SOLD
      ​2008 Chevrolet Cobalt SS/TC - SOLD

Lifetime owner
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Thymeclock
      Ours is used for commuting that is all city driving. We cannot get any better than a consistent 22 MPG.

The reason is the A/T programming. This 4-speed tranny can't enter torque converter lockup until 45 MPH - and in true city driving we can never reach that speed.

However, I found it does get 37 MPG on the highway, at 65 MPH with the A/C on. Unfortunately, we hardly ever do any highway driving.

keep in mind too the epa "city" mpg determination is not 100% to realistic city driving, also it probably doen't include the same amount of sitting time as living near a big city like new york/long island if that is the city you are talking about.

Should I keep it?
      Thanks

keep in mind too the epa "city" mpg determination is not 100% to realistic city driving, also it probably doen't include the same amount of sitting time as living near a big city like new york/long island if that is the city you are talking about
      There is definately nothing realistic in the MPG numbers that came on the window stickers.

Like Serega I do the simple math and i never take a record of it but usually end up between 24 and 28 mpg with 8 to 10 gals at fill up and between 260 and 280 miles at fill up time. I am never going to be exact.
      @serega I feel ya for makin the long commute. Had a guy in my shop that came in from granite falls daily and he was burnt out by the first year of doing that. it sucks.

2009 Chevy Aveo LT1 Silver
      2008 Saturn Outlook XE Silver W/Preferred & tow package

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast