Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: e3 spark plugs

Should I keep it?
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks

Re: e3 spark plugs

Quote Originally Posted by AveoRob
      Quote Originally Posted by Daox
      I've never personally had a problem with plugs seizing despite leaving them in for quite some time (over 100k). I suppose if you had doubts you could just loosen and retighten them every 30k or so.
      I haven't either, but have heard of it

Quote Originally Posted by Daox
      I'm not really arguing for iridiums as I use copper plugs too. I do see the benefit for most people though as they usually don't do their own service on cars.
      Yes my calculation does not take into account labor. That being the case and the 100K interval is cheaper, but this engine is soooo simple to change the plugs, and most people on this forum are probably changing their own plugs already.
      I agree with Tim (Daox) about not changing plugs at 30k intervals. (At least I think that's what he's inferring).

If the plug still fires, and it's a good, clean spark, there's no reason to change it, I feel. I clean them up (remember spark plug cleaners? Old gas stations used to have them...) and put them back in, after rechecking the gaps to account for erosion of the electrodes. If there is obvious wear to the outer electrode, I clip it and side-gap it, then keep it for later.

I don't think (with the exception of vehicles which were recently acquired by me) I've ever changed a whole engine's worth of plugs at once.

Almost time to do my timing belt
      Thanks

Yeah, kind of a different world up here. Platinum plugs do terrible in the cold. -60*F baby don't wanna start.
      Farthest North Aveo: Fairbanks, Alaska

Should I keep it?
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfman AK907
      Yeah, kind of a different world up here. Platinum plugs do terrible in the cold. -60*F baby don't wanna start.
      About 30 years ago, my Father and GrandFather used to live in Eagle River (near it, actually.)

My Grand Father owned a restaurant, a cab company, and a garbage company.

Not sure of the name of the restaurant.

Cab company was Chevak Cab.

Garbage company was "RoseBud Refuse".

Ever heard of either of those? PM me so we can keep it out of the thread...

Anyway, I've heard stories about leaving cars run over night so they'd still be usable the next day... I know what you're talking about.

Thanks

just ran a tank of gas with e3 plugs and got 35 mpg with them.before, the best i had gotten was 33 mpg.i also notice a performance increase.price at amazon.com was $18 dollars with free shipping. =D>

Should I keep it?
      Thanks

Lest ye be reminded that one tank of mileage increase is hardly able to be considered definitive, especially in this time of the year, when many stations are switching to stronger summer fuels, the air is warmer (less dense, less air resistance), etc.

There are lots of factors that can change your MPG, even by 5+ MPG for a single tank.

Now, if you get a few consecutive tanks and still are seeing the improvement, then you switch back to a new set of the old type of plugs (or just cleaned up/re-gapped old ones) and no longer see that improvement under the same conditions, you can definitively say that the E3 plugs are getting you better fuel economy in your situation for your vehicle, under your daily circumstances.

Yes, that's a lot of qualifiers, but they're all necessary to make the statement even close to accurate.

Thanks

wow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234