•  
    Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Can't get better than 33-35 mpg.

Still love my daily driver
      Thanks
      just curious whats the speed limit in PA? In IL its only 55

Garage empty: add car
      Thanks

I'll keep it and add a turbo Aveo5_boy's Avatar
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by camopaint0707 View Post
      No, I'll cause some accidents.
      That's why you drive on the slower outside lane instead of the inside fast lane....that's what I do when I go 90 km/h on the highway (speed limit 100 km/h = 60 mph) except I move my seat all the way forward with my face close to the windshield and hands at 10 - 2 on the steering wheel for the full annoying effect when others pass me.
      Last edited by Aveo5_boy; 05-20-2014 at 01:11 AM.

I'll keep it and add a turbo thankful_ragamuffin's Avatar
      Thanks
      I have got as high as 49 mpg (imperial gallon) but that is on the highway between Revelstoke and Kamloops which has a drop in elevation (downhill) and a heavily enforced 90 km/h speed limit. On my commute of 20 minutes on rural Alberta highway running at 120 km/h, no warm up, I get 35 - 40 mpg ( imperial gallon), weather dependant (can't get any more than 35 mpg at -30 degrees C).

Thanks
      I would rather just sell this car and get a VW diesel. Then I could genuinely get 50 mpg with no worries.

Thanks
      Side note, I looked at a sonic RS turbo at the dealership today. Over 20000 dollars for that ****ing thing, are you kidding me?

Thanks
      I thought about a Chevy Spark, possibly drop in a 1.4T, or 1.6 ECOTEC Do not get the auto trans

Thanks
      Got 34.8 on my last tank. Ranged 344 miles on 9ish gallons. Is it just me to do we have a small gas tank? I'm tempted to throw in a fuel cell to get like 600 miles on a tank.

Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by camopaint0707 View Post
      Got 34.8 on my last tank. Ranged 344 miles on 9ish gallons. Is it just me to do we have a small gas tank? I'm tempted to throw in a fuel cell to get like 600 miles on a tank.
      I've thought the same thing about the gas tank.

If you're interested, I have some pointers to maximize gas mileage. If I really push it I can around 400 miles per tank. I drive the same freeway route each day to work. It pays off knowing the climbs and down hill sections of your drive. I drive it 60 mph, which is right about 3500 rpms on even elevation sections of my commute. As I climb a hill, I raise my mphs to a little above 70-75. Once I crest the peak of said hill, during the downhill section I push the clutch, dropping my RPMS down to the idle RPM level of around 800 rpm. I coast till the aveo hits 55, or 50ish if there's no traffic, then engage the clutch and get the aveo back up to 60mph. You'd be shocked at how good the aveo coasts. I can average around 25% of my 20 mile work commute coasting. That's 5 miles moving the aveo at under 1000 rpms vs pushing it at nearly 4000rpms. You can also cut the engine fully when you're coasting, leaving your engine off, but your power still on. I don't advise it, as it's dangerous and all, but some extreme hyper milers do it to get the best mileage. I generally try to keep the car running the lowest RPMS possible, and I try to make it a point to never come to a complete stop during a drive. The more stops = Less MPG.

Thanks
      I know a lot of the hypermiliing techniques but a lot are not practical and they take a lot of concentration.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast