•  
    Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Bad Gas Mileage

Should I keep it?
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks
      Called the dealer and they said the work was done. I'm not sure how I can know for sure though. I wonder if they used the wrong plugs. The ones they used were NGK instead of ACDelco.

Almost time to do my timing belt ontarian_frog's Avatar
      Thanks
      NGK is what comes in the Aveo. NGKs made in Korea as a matter of fact. Usually, aftermarket NGKs are manufactured in Japan.
      I leased Pontiac Wave from September 2006 to August 2011.

Should I keep it?
      Thanks
      I see. The recall letter in the other thread mentioned an ALDelco product number. I'll make sure the correct NGK one is in the car at the very least. After that, I'm totally out of idea's. I was expecting way better. Now all I have is a tin can that's crappy on gas.

Should I keep it?
      Thanks
      The product number for the spark plug that was in the car is ZFR6U-9. According to another thread in the forum, that's the after recall product number. A couple weeks ago I bought the platinum plugs (ZFR6FGP). I just put those in with a gap of .035.

Should I keep the ZFR6U-9 plugs in or would I be safe with the ZFR6FGP?

Should I keep it?
      Thanks

Bad Gas Mileage

I just noticed the Fuel Economy section and thought I would move my post here instead. I started this thread in the General section: http://www.aveoforum.com/forum/f81/b...mileage-14167/

To summarize, I have a 2009 Suzuki Swift+ which is essentially an Aveo (1.6L Ecotec engine). I bought it used a month ago with 43000 kms on it. I do about 80% of my driving on the highway (driving like an old man). For some reason, I can't do better than 28 mpg's. I have the after recall spark plugs as mentioned in other posts and the dealer said that they did the recall work. A local shop tested the pre-cat O2 sensor and they said it was working within an acceptable range (not sure if this means it's operating in the most optimal range).

Something doesn't sound right here. It seems like I should be doing much better. My old 98 Saturn with the 1.9L engine and 400,000 km's was getting 34 mpg (us).

Almost time to do my timing belt ontarian_frog's Avatar
      Thanks
      I'm sorry to tell you that there are so many different factors affecting MPG, that if the car doesn't throw a code and seems to run fine according to technicians, you're SOL.

The way you drive, the terrain, the altitude, blend of gasoline and the wind all affect mileage. That's in addition to engine and transmission, tires and alignment and how you calculate your mileage...and you see where I'm going with this. So many things are different, it's impossible to say over the forums what is wrong. Or what you are doing different.
      I leased Pontiac Wave from September 2006 to August 2011.

LXV-SCOOTADRIVE, ON! 2010AveoLT's Avatar
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by ontarian_frog View Post
      I'm sorry to tell you that there are so many different factors affecting MPG, that if the car doesn't throw a code and seems to run fine according to technicians, you're SOL.

The way you drive, the terrain, the altitude, blend of gasoline and the wind all affect mileage. That's in addition to engine and transmission, tires and alignment and how you calculate your mileage...and you see where I'm going with this. So many things are different, it's impossible to say over the forums what is wrong. Or what you are doing different.
      He's got a Point, there's MANY Factors that affect Fuel Mileage; I'd also like to add that the Quality of the Fuel used is also a factor in fuel Mileage, use a Crap Fuel, and you get Crap Mileage. use a good quality fuel (like the Top Tier Gas that GM Recommends for our cars), and you get good mileage!

Should I keep it?
      Thanks
      What "top tier gas" do they recommend? I usually fill up with regular at Shell or PetroCanada. Both seem pretty good (at least they were in my Saturn).

It just seems odd that some people report high 30's. A 10 mpg discrepancy seems like a lot. Even if I had the wind on my back for all my trips, I can't see the car getting over 35 mpg's.
      Last edited by someguy; 11-23-2012 at 06:48 PM.

Should I keep it?
      Thanks
      The jury is still out on my Aveo5 5speed's mileage. We jumped right in it and hit the highway to "see what she'd do", and was disappointed with a reading of 30.5 mpg at 70-72 mph. It being a used car, I checked the air filter, and it was quite dirty, so in went a new one, and a mixture of city and freeway driving returned 31.4, so the filter definitely helped. A half tank test of city mileage after the filter change gave 24 mpg. I'm still awaiting a need for a highway trip to gauge that mileage with the clean filter, but with the engine spinning 3200 RPMs at 72 mph, I don't expect more than 34 mpg. I hope I'm surprised.

LXV-SCOOTADRIVE, ON! 2010AveoLT's Avatar
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by someguy View Post
      What "top tier gas" do they recommend? I usually fill up with regular at Shell or PetroCanada. Both seem pretty good (at least they were in my Saturn).

It just seems odd that some people report high 30's. A 10 mpg discrepancy seems like a lot. Even if I had the wind on my back for all my trips, I can't see the car getting over 35 mpg's.
      those two are Top Tier Gas Retailers in Canada; here's a Link to the Top Tier Website for more Info: Top Tier Gasoline

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast