•  
    Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Aveosam's MPG Thread

Almost time to do my timing belt
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks

Aveosam's MPG Thread

I figured I would start one since I've started keeping track now. Well first let me explain how I keep track. first i fill the car completely up, I mean all the way to top where i can see gas at the little hole. In order to do this and keep it acurate you actually have to shake the car because sometimes air pockets get in the tank and will thru off your gallons thus giving you higher mpg. So I shake the **** outta my car until its completey full. Then I keep track off how many miles I drive with the trip odometer before i fill up again. So I have done this for the past week or two.

My mods:
      Stock wheels/Tires
      Lowering springs
      Ram air intake soon to be goat intake
      Full interior plus a lot of crap for soccer and school

Case 1: Sunday-Saturday. I live in south jersey and commute to newark in north jersey and stay the whole week and come home to work on the weekends. So I do about 75-85 mph average on the highway to get there and back, and its like 90% highway to get there and back. Then I drive to work and to my gf's hosue with a mix of city and highway driving doing an average of 50-55mph. Oh and I was in stop and go traffic on my way home from school of like 30mins.

Miles:186.2
      Gallons: 5.649
      MPG: 32.96158612

Case 2: Saturday-Monday. This was my weekend tank of gas. I traveled to wrok again and my gf's. Then had soccer sunday morning which was an hr or more away and our team was late so I wasnt easy on the gas or speed. doing an average of 80-90mph on the turnpike.

Miles: 197.7
      Gallons: 6.516
      Mpg: 30.34069982

I think i am doing pretty good for how fast I am going on the highway. I have an auto and the rpms are usually above 3000rpm to 3500 rpm. But I have changed my driving style, I now accelerate very moderately from a stop and try to keep the rpms under or around 3000rpms, which means no more mashing it at every light. Im trying to lower my speed on the highway to see how good I can really get, and if it turns out to be like high 30's then I will just allow my self more time to get to school because I am poor and every cent counts for me. I will be updating this thread when I fill up but I will probably get bored with the whole story decript with each case so we will see what happens

What do you mean there's no turbo?
      Thanks

Re: Aveosam's MPG Thread

I have been tracking my milage for the last 11K in the same fashion as Sam without the shaking part. I have an 08 hatch 5sp. I have consistantly got 31MPG over each entire tank of gas, not just a short trip. This is both highway and city. I noticed if I keep the highway under 70 and the rpms less that 3500 I get a little better. These are real world numbers.

Timing belt broke, do I keep it?
      Thanks

its got to be interesting to pull into a gas station and seeing someone rocking there car at the pump keep up on it tho sam, u need another good 3 or so calculations so u can have a good platform to compare ur mileages.

i stopped calculatin my mileage cus i know im doin crummy. gas pedals are like crack, u hit it and let off, then u want more. so u hit it harder and longer...
      You can not commit crimes in a Aveo. Its just not fast enough.

Thanks

FWIW be careful filling the tank full to the brim like you're doing. You'll fill the evap canister and saturate the charcoal which will lead to a lot of bad things, not the least of which is poor fuel economy.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mtlswift
      FWIW be careful filling the tank full to the brim like you're doing. You'll fill the evap canister and saturate the charcoal which will lead to a lot of bad things, not the least of which is poor fuel economy.
      hmm interesting. does anyone have diagram of that area of the car.

Quote Originally Posted by mikedudley17
      its got to be interesting to pull into a gas station and seeing someone rocking there car at the pump keep up on it tho sam, u need another good 3 or so calculations so u can have a good platform to compare ur mileages.

i stopped calculatin my mileage cus i know im doin crummy. gas pedals are like crack, u hit it and let off, then u want more. so u hit it harder and longer...
      its also a good thing I work at a gas station otherwise i wouldnt be able to pump my own gas here in jersey

Thanks

I tried looking in the online manual but couldn't find fuel systems... but all modern cars under OBDII control have a closed fuel system with very similar design and if you go hunting on google about problems with overfilling you'll find a bunch of hits.

Still love my daily driver
      Thanks

LOL...Sam said little hole, and he shakes his little car at the pump, what a LOL
      Just kidding Sam...

It's funny you started this thread, I actually watched the way I accelarated and my cruising speeds the last tank and actually got 33mpg...I couldn't believe it...I've averaged 26-29mpg since I bought the car and have almost 16,000 miles on it now.

So obviously it makes sense to slow down a little, knock off with the rabbit starts at traffic lights, and cruise when I can instead of tailgating and constantly feathering the throttle.

I can't wait to see how much I get out of this tank, I actually did 55mph on the expressway today (I wasn't in any hurry, and didn't get any road rage) and I'm keeping a close eye on my driving habits. Maybe trying to squeeze out every mpg will lower my road rage...LOL
      Icelandic Blue with "LOW VEO" tags

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2396518

Thanks

ah i see how it works now. i guess i will have to change the fill up process, but the thing is when filling up a car every pump slightly differs in how fast the gas comes out and the faster it comes out the more it foams up and causes the nozzle to shut off early. so i guess i will just put it on the slowest setting til it clicks and wait a 10-15 seconds and start it again til it shuts off and call that filled up. that is what it suggested online. I dont like this because I feel the numbers are going to be inaccurate but i dont want to mess up my engine. for info on this just google evaporative emissions control system.

Timing belt broke, do I keep it?
      Thanks

yeh, i learned that the faster u pump ur gas the more vapors it creates in ur tank, now i always do it on the slowest setting. great thing is, our tanks are so small i can usually be filled up (from empty) and be gone b4 alot of the larger vehicles are done fueling

also i hear ur not supposed to fill up when a fuel truck is filling the underground tanks because it stirs all the dirt and sediment at teh bottom and that can be brought up and dropped into ur gas tank.
      You can not commit crimes in a Aveo. Its just not fast enough.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mikedudley17
      yeh, i learned that the faster u pump ur gas the more vapors it creates in ur tank, now i always do it on the slowest setting. great thing is, our tanks are so small i can usually be filled up (from empty) and be gone b4 alot of the larger vehicles are done fueling

also i hear ur not supposed to fill up when a fuel truck is filling the underground tanks because it stirs all the dirt and sediment at teh bottom and that can be brought up and dropped into ur gas tank.
      yea vapors are another thing. it all depends on the bend of the hose leading to the tank. so cars click off way early, but newer subarus have very efficient systems for filling up because when they are full, they are full and can barely fit 25 cents in. on that last part i dont know if thats true, the pumps have filters that filter sediments out.

Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast