Garage empty: add car
      Thanks
      Denso TT20 plugs.
      Could also consider new O2 sensors.
      Denso PK20TT Platinum TT Spark Plug

Thanks

uncovering the "hidden" MPG display

Quote Originally Posted by petrified.rabbit View Post
      Your aveo most likely has an extended display in the center of the speedo cluster under a sticker above the odometer. You can hook up your own switch and I believe you will get a MPG display option.. There is a thread about it here, somewhere.
      Found it:

Thread: Uncovering the hidden MPG display / DIC: ('07+ sedan, '09+ hatch)

What's wrong with my car?
      Thanks
      2008 Aveo5 SVE, 5-speed, 150K+ miles, 60 miles round-trip highway five days/week, averaging 30 mpg! No special mods. Just following recommended 30psi pressure and routine maintenance. Manual transmission is the secret to good fuel economy.

What's wrong with my car? MarkNelsonMovies's Avatar
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks
      I'm averaging around 40mpg in what I call "rural" driving (30 miles one-way averaging around 40-50mph with very little stops or traffic) but I have the standard/manual trasmission so most of my tips wouldn't help, but there's a few things you could check.

First, as has already been mentioned, I'd add a few psi to the tires, as the recommended 31 seems low to me,
      Then check and make sure you're air filter is clean, and the intake hose isn't cracked (I replaced both when I bought my Aveo)
      the spark-plugs and wires had just been replaced, and I also replaced the oil filter when I changed the oil.

As far as Driving goes, anytime you have to hit the breaks you're wasting energy so try not to follow people too closely so when they slow down you can just let off rather than having to hit the breaks, and start slowing down before a corner (or lower speed limit area) to minimize breaking. When possible accelerate as slowly and smoothly as you reasonably can. (obviously in the city there will be times when you have to accelerate quickly to safely merge, pull out, keep from being hit, etc...)

I've also got alloy wheels which shave off a few pounds, and keep my car clean (a filthy car adds weight and increased drag) but I don't really know if those actually make a difference at all.
      Last edited by MarkNelsonMovies; 06-06-2017 at 10:06 PM. Reason: clarification

6. The Following User Says Thank You to MarkNelsonMovies For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (06-06-2017)

Thanks
      Congrats - 40 mpg is impressive! Sounds like you've got a pretty ideal driving environment.

A dirty car doesn't really matter (airflow over nearly every part but the very front of the car is already turbulent). But your other points make lots of sense, especially regarding avoiding the brake pedal as much as possible.

Should I keep it?
      Thanks
      fill up 6
      10 gallons
      $23.00
      275 miles driven
      27.5 mpg

I wonder what happened this week.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by new2aveo View Post
      $23.00
      I wonder what happened this week.
      Question: why do so many of your fills have round numbers for the dollar amount? Are you filling the tank to FULL every time?

What's wrong with my car?
      Thanks
      My '07 Aveo is:
      5 sp manual
      no special enhancements
      142K miles

I can average 37 MPG on the highway, and 32 MPG city driving.

I'm in the process of cleaning the car up, and replacing/updating all the obvious maintenance issues with the car.

I used to be able to get 46 to 50 MPG on I-71 in Ohio, on the Cleveland to Cinci jaunt, that I used to regularly make.
      I adhered to some "hyper-miling" tricks that I had read about.

I kept the windows rolled up, usually no climate control usage, just the air coming through the vents.
      I had kept my tires inflated to 35 psi, a tad higher than recommended.
      I did the speed limit posted, and would obviously use the hills on I-71 to my advantage.

Now, keep in mind, I NEVER shut off the car and coasted down hills, the way some people who hyper-mile claim they do. I do not trust that there will be no engine damage trying to restart a car while rolling at 60 miles-per-hour.

I also, very rarely, would draft off of trucks.
      I was always concerned, since I grew up in the day of land barges, and my first car was a 1977 Oldsmobile Regency 98, that such a little car as my Aveo might get blown off the highway if hit with too hard a wind sheer.

Should I keep it?
      Thanks
      Same 2011 Auto and getting 26.8 MPG. Perhaps I should pump up tyres a bit ? Running at 25 PSI....

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast