•  

Thread: Acetone observation

What's wrong with my car?
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks

Acetone observation

After reading the Pros and Cons of adding acetone I opted to give it a try.
      I have an 05 Aveo 5 door with (now) 56500 miles.
      Its a stocker except for a K&N drop in air filter with a 2 1/2 inch cat-back and turbo muffler.
      Anyway I put in 2 oz of acetone when I topped off my tank and drove from Las Vegas to Rancho Bernardo (North San Diego). I really didnt notice any change in the car at all. The needle on the gas gauge was right on top of the red when I arrived.
      On my return trip I did the same 2 oz and topped off. When I got home the needle was basically in the same place (on top of the red).
      The next day on my way to work I was sitting at a red light and just noticed that the car was actually idling a little better.
      On my next days off I returned to California and added the 2 oz before I topped off and made the trip. I also changed the oil (Using 5W-30). When I arrived in California I noticed that I had "Slightly" more gas in the tank than my previous trip(s).

The trips are 315 miles one way and I averaged 72 miles per hour each trip (Its all higway except for 18 miles).
      Friday night I filled up in California WITHOUT adding the acetone. When I got home I had a full 1/4 tank of gas left.
      I drive at night to avoid traffic so no A/C was needed on any of my trips. I checked my tire pressure before each trip also.
      Im not claiming that adding the acetone does everything that people claim it does on the internet.
      Im just giving some "food for thought" here.
      Im not advocating anything but I do believe that it had a "Cleaning effect" on my fuel delivery system.
      Its not something that Im willing to try everytime I fill up, but I will be adding it evertime I make a trip over 300 miles non-stop.

Lifetime owner
      Thanks

Re: Acetone observation

acetone actually leave behind a residue (nothing like gasoline) but if you are going to add something i would reccomend denatured alcohol. has about a 115 octane rating and burns clean. not sure what % i would add to the take (i have run cars on this straight)

as for 2 oz of acetone in a tank, that really isn't doing much, just like most of those 1/2 quart fuel injector cleaners are not enough of an additive to make a difference. One todays car you could almost add that much water to the tank and it would run though (do not attempt it though)

if anything the acetone might have a high octane like denatured alcohol and it is "enough" to raise the octane of the gas overall.

so basically try running hte car on 91 or 92 octane and you should get the same or better results.. (increasing octane can cause unbruned full to kill your cat though)

Should I keep it?
      Thanks

Re: Acetone observation

I used acetone for a while, noticed no difference and stopped .

Only thing I use now is Redline Si-1 Complete Fuel System Cleaner.

Stuff is amazing.