•  

Thread: Acetone? Has anyone actually had any damage from using acetone?

What's wrong with my car?
      Thanks

Acetone? Has anyone actually had any damage from using acetone?

Does anyone out there have any stories about acetone ruining something in their engine?

I want to try it & was wondering if anyone has any experience with using it regularly?

Any improvements in gas mileage? Did anything break? Etc.

I'm driving a 2005 Aveo5 LS - thanks!

Timing belt broke, do I keep it? thehunterooo's Avatar
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks
      Never heard of it, but I doubt it will help with anything whatever it is...

I'll keep it and add a turbo
      Thanks
      i just started using acetone in my truck 5.7 hemi no noticible difference yet but only ran 3/4 of tank so far.im testing 2 onces per 10 gallons(6 onces per 32gallon tank) you can get high quality acetone in large amounts cheap at wholesale paint stores.

I'll keep it and add a turbo Pontiac1976's Avatar
      Thanks
      I have notheard of it . But who know but someone used it long enough. BUT it StrongEnough to help DRY OUT RUBBER hoses maybe injector o-ring seals over timefaster than they should last.
      PONTIAC1976

PONTIAC
      The Mark of a Great Car
      PONTIAC
      The Mark of a Great Car

This new set up is Messed up! at CarDomain. http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3101276

Lifetime owner
      Thanks
      ive run cars on straight denatured alcohol. its burns "clean" where acetone dries with some residue, so i figure it burns with residue.

i still do not understand concepts where people think the need these products to clean out engines, IF you have a dirty engine, install a catch can on the pvc and be done. Running seafoam, Acetone, etc are all old gimmick added chemical that are now already added to the gas (where they used to not be).

JPD
      Should I keep it?
      Thanks
      Ive never heard of running an engine on acetone, how interesting. I've a 2009 aveo designed for anything up to E20; there are $300 E85 conversion kits that simply plug into the ECU and fuel injectors but I've never been convinced; Chevrolet could boost their profit margins significantly if they sold an E85 Aveo in Thailand as it would be taxed so much less, so in my view the accountants must have calculated that they wouldn't make any money after they warrantied the cars for the full 3 years, as is customary. There are some interesting videos on YouTube about trucks running on E85 and having no damage.

Should I keep it?
      Thanks
      There is tons of information on this available with a quick google search. If done, it would reveal that this person is not looking to use acetone to clean anything or as a gas substitute, but to improve performance and fuel economy. There has been a lot of tests done on this, although not many high profile. The science of it is generally that the acetone in small amounts (2-3oz/gal) reduces the surface tension of gasoline allowing it to burn more thoroughly thuhs wasting less gas and improving performance. (Gas normally does not burn very efficiently). There have been a lot of mixed results, but as long as people stick within the recommended parameters of useage (2_3oz/10gal) I have seen nothing indicating any problems. I just recently tried this and am noticing improved mileage. I will start logging mileage after I finish this first tank. There was a study done with 4 diff cars and each showed significant performance increase when using the recommended amount of acetone. (With diminishing results when more was used) the goal is not to dilute the gasoline with acetone, but to use just enough that you reduce the surface tension.

Almost time to do my timing belt
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by gorilla p View Post
      ....There has been a lot of tests done on this, although not many high profile. ....
      I have no problem believing increased mpg - that's something that's easily verifiable. However, until someone does comprehensive LONG TERM testing, I wouldn't want any part of it. Fuel flows through a number of things such as pump and injectors. Exhaust takes a long trip through a bunch of stuff including the million dollar cat. Very few of those parts are cheap. Even presuming it doesn't bother any of the metal parts (and that would also need to be proved), just one thing like a fuel pump going South would zero-out all of the gain from the better fuel economy, even for a DIY.
      But I'm a flexible guy, and if it can be shown to cause no damage to any parts for let's say around 15 years, then count me in

Lifetime owner
      Thanks
      The whole point of octane is resistance to burning.. so that it ignites via spark no compression and heat.

If anything from this "research" i would think the acetone has a greater benefit of diluting the ethanol in the gas than making the gas better.

Should I keep it?
      Thanks
      I see the logic behind that, and that's what I assumed at first until I researched the effect of acetone on gasoline. I also figured that given such small amounts being used, the only way it make a real difference is at the molecular level. I'm not going to pretend to understand all of the chemistry behind it. But the information repeatedly given on this was stating that it reduced the surface tension of the gasoline by changing the molecular structure (essentially from a block shape to a more efficiently burning popcorn type shape) resulting in reduced surface tension. I can't vouch for the results at this point as I've only been using it a short time and haven't. Logged mileage since starting to use it at the recommended amounts. I can tell you that after starting using militec-1 in my oil for a few thousand miles, having regular oil changes, using mmo every other fillup (this also helps to offset any drying effect the small amount of acetone may cause) and using 2-3 oz of acetone with each fillup, my cars acceleration is much smoother. Its much more noticeable in 5th gear. It takes higher speeds before I feel the engine straining. Once I get some miles logged with these additives, I intend on switching to copper spark plugs as well for improved performance (although soomewhat minor).