•  

Thread: Whistling noise coming from right front of car at 65mph

What's wrong with my car?
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks

Question Whistling noise coming from right front of car at 65mph

Hi,

I just bought this car a month or more ago and I when I get on the freeway doing 60 / 65mph I here a whistling noise coming from the front right corner of car / right corner in front seat. I don't know if there's a leak in the windshield modeling or it's something else. I've checking all windows and doors and their closed. I went to a mechanic and he looked under the hood and the air intake hose had duct tape wrapped around it from the previous owner after test driving the car, the mechanic said the air intake hose was the problem ( The car never made the noise when the mechanic test drove it ) So, I replaced the air intake hose and then I thought the problem was fixed. today on the freeway the noise came back whistling and was coming from the right front corner of the car. I don't know what the problem is. I'm going to see if I can have someone sit in the front seat and feel around the windshield when I'm doing 60 / 65mph and see if theirs a leak. I'll let you know.

Any Ideas what it might be

2004 1.6 Auto Rust Free
      Thanks
      Your suspicion of an air leak is probably correct. Either from the windshield or the door. Over the years the compound used to adhere the windshield to the car could have shrunk and cause the leak, or the molding used on the doors could have ripped etc.

Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by Eg.h2o View Post
      Your suspicion of an air leak is probably correct. Either from the windshield or the door. Over the years the compound used to adhere the windshield to the car could have shrunk and cause the leak, or the molding used on the doors could have ripped etc.
      I will look at the molding as well as check for leaks when I have a passenger in the front seat, and they can put thier hands up by the door frame and windshield molding when I'm driving 65mph

Thanks
      I dropped off my car at the mechanics garage today because I could not find any leaks in the windshield or doors due to bad molding. Hopefully the mechanic can find the problem and fix it.

Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by Joe Minnesota View Post
      I dropped off my car at the mechanics garage today because I could not find any leaks in the windshield or doors due to bad molding. Hopefully the mechanic can find the problem and fix it.
      My mechanic said the only thing he could find wrong was the steering wheel wasn't straight so he adjusted the tie rod. He said there's one hub cap loose that could be causing the noise from the inside the cab passenger front right side. I haven't heard the noise again. But, I'll let you know if I do. Then I'll take the passenger right hub caps off and see if that's the problem.

Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by Joe Minnesota View Post
      My mechanic said the only thing he could find wrong was the steering wheel wasn't straight so he adjusted the tie rod. He said there's one hub cap loose that could be causing the noise from the inside the cab passenger front right side. I haven't heard the noise again. But, I'll let you know if I do. Then I'll take the passenger right hub caps off and see if that's the problem.
      Update: As it turns out the noise was coming from the passenger door area. I had a friend ride with me when I was driving 65 on the freeway and he rolled down the passenger front window and the whistling or noise went away. But, still could find any leaks around the windshield or door molding. It was time to sell the car anyway. So I sold the 2008 Chevrolet Aveo.