•  

Thread: unsure if should buy convince me to or not to.

What's wrong with my car?
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks

unsure if should buy convince me to or not to.

a friend has a couple cars for sale, he has an 09 Aveo that I really liked, but after reading I am almost pushed away, but still drawn to it, so I came to find honest info.

its an 09 with 69k miles, he got it wheeling & dealing, so no info, he asking $4,500, it ran great & drove good but how bad are these cars for breaking timing belts? I saw people saying you need to replace at 60k miles? any special tools? how long will these last? how many miles do they go? also saw no great mileage? bad brakes??

I am just looking for a daily driver about 350 miles a week, would like something to potentially last approx. 5 years without major repair, just routine maintenance.

asking too much?

Thanks
      I'm not sure about that price for your area. Seems a bit high to me.

The early Aveos had the timing belt issues, 2004-2005. By 2009 you actually got a completely different engine. You shouldn't have any issues in the timing belt area. Just change it as required. I think the interval is around 100k mile. Its no different than changing one on any other 4 cylinder.

Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by Daox View Post
      I'm not sure about that price for your area. Seems a bit high to me.

The early Aveos had the timing belt issues, 2004-2005. By 2009 you actually got a completely different engine. You shouldn't have any issues in the timing belt area. Just change it as required. I think the interval is around 100k mile. Its no different than changing one on any other 4 cylinder.
      Good info, i just kept seeing 60k mile, i have to work outside, so during worst of winters I dont want to fool with timing belt, but otherwise i have replacef thousands when i worked in a shop, but didnt know if special tools, and shop had online manual, printed me a copy, with pics and let me fix, as for price, he is including financing. $500 down, $250 a month for 16 months.

I'll keep it and add a turbo
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by old_biker View Post
      Good info, i just kept seeing 60k mile, i have to work outside, so during worst of winters I dont want to fool with timing belt, but otherwise i have replacef thousands when i worked in a shop, but didnt know if special tools, and shop had online manual, printed me a copy, with pics and let me fix, as for price, he is including financing. $500 down, $250 a month for 16 months.
      Remember to check for oil sludge in the coolant recovery tank, and also to check for bulging rad hoses. The 2009-2011 Aveos are known to have engine oil cooler leaks which leaks engine oil into the coolant.

Deano

Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by Deano View Post
      Remember to check for oil sludge in the coolant recovery tank, and also to check for bulging rad hoses. The 2009-2011 Aveos are known to have engine oil cooler leaks which leaks engine oil into the coolant.

Deano
      Thanks, I did not know, but if OK, looks like I will be an owner in a week or so, when our schedules allow. Also how hard to change oil cooler, if/when goes bad?

I'll keep it and add a turbo
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by old_biker View Post
      Thanks, I did not know, but if OK, looks like I will be an owner in a week or so, when our schedules allow. Also how hard to change oil cooler, if/when goes bad?
      For 2009-2011 Aveos, I'd say it's easier to replace the engine oil cooler than to do a timing belt replacement. It's pretty straightforward after you get the catalytic converter removed out of the way. If i recall correctly, it took me about 3-4 hours to replace the engine oil cooler, and I was going very slow.

Deano

Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by Deano View Post
      For 2009-2011 Aveos, I'd say it's easier to replace the engine oil cooler than to do a timing belt replacement. It's pretty straightforward after you get the catalytic converter removed out of the way. If i recall correctly, it took me about 3-4 hours to replace the engine oil cooler, and I was going very slow.

Deano
      Thank to all that helped, I watched a youtube on the oil cooler, simple enough, now cant wait to go check for oil issue, if passes I will be back.

I looks like such a fun & cute car. the whole timing belt issue had me, but how close should the 100k belt be changed? in other words, is it safe to get close to 100k? or a hair over? or should I plan 75k? or??? my issue is not wanting to do a belt outside in winter & I doubt I will put over 15-20k miles on it in 1 year, it has 69k right now, so I need to either plan this next spring, or the year after when it will be closer or maybe over 100k which I doubt. I put 1400 or so miles a month, just going & from work, but a new toy will get a bit extra for a few months lol.