•  

Thread: Not Young any more :( - New Guy to forum

What's wrong with my car?
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks

Not Young any more :( - New Guy to forum

Greetings!

I just joined this forum today.

I am in the process of purchasing a used 2004 Aveo LS HB, in summer yellow with an automatic transmission. I plan to pick it up in a couple days from the dealer. I am buying this initially as a "spare" car but also something that my 16 YO daughter can drive when she is ready.

The most notable detail about the car is the low mileage, at 27,231. Yeah, that's right! Basically a "new" 12 year-old car. A even-older-guy than myself purchased it in '04, and then recently traded it in for a Cruze.

After the test drive, though, I do have one issue that I am requesting some assistance from the members of this forum. The automatic shifter seems to "stick" when moving from D4 to Neutral. Going the other way P-R-N-D4 is just fine. But going the other direction D4-N-R-P it hangs up a bit and needs a little more force to go into N.

Am I looking at a shifter cable problem, bushings, the shifter itself, or something other?

I am also found in a few other car forums, and always appreciate the help from the members in each.

Thank you,
      Chuck

Almost time to do my timing belt xintersecty's Avatar
      Thanks
      Welcome to the Forum, Chuck a'muck!

Most likely a sticky shifter cable. On the push it can be binding while on the pull (going into gear) it's under tension.
      Please do not power off, firmware update pending.....

Almost time to do my timing belt
      Thanks
      Here's something to consider, particularly with a new driver waiting in the wings. Aveos are REALLY poor in the snow. I've been driving for 50 years, and both of our Aveos (stock) were probably the worst in the snow of any vehicle I've owned. So I'll strongly recommend that you invest in a set of 4 good snow tires, perhaps on separate rims if you want to avoid mounting/balancing costs twice a year. Good snow tires will bring the Aveo into the 'OK' Winter handling category.

Also, the timing belt has most likely never been changed. If that's correct, I suggest doing the complete, 4-componet job very soon. Somewhat expensive ($500-1K) if you don't DIY. But the consequences of not doing this maintenance are very costly. Yes, the mileage is way under the suggested change interval, but 12 years is a LONG time for this belt and 3 sets of bearings.

Lastly, if this Aveo still has the OEM plastic thermostat housing, replace it IMMEDIATELY with a metal one. Do not wait on this item!

Thanks
      Thanks for the heads-up on that avguy!

xintersecty, I'll definitely check the cable for tension and lubrication issues!

Appreciate the quick responses too! This is awesome.

Thanks
      Wanted to follow up on this thread. I found the problem. It was the guy sitting in the driver seat who didn't know to push down on the stick before moving the gear through R to P.

I guess that is just basic knowledge that an experienced driver would have to drive this car, and it was the very first I've encountered something like this.

Chalk another one up for learning something new. Old Dog, new tricks!

Almost time to do my timing belt xintersecty's Avatar
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by CheezeMan View Post
      Wanted to follow up on this thread. I found the problem. It was the guy sitting in the driver seat who didn't know to push down on the stick before moving the gear through R to P.
      Yeah, I don't think about that anymore. My beatle in order to go into reverse was push down into second. My truck uses a different position (gear six location). You have to give the Daewoo designers points for the most un-intuitive lockout system ever.

Please do not power off, firmware update pending.....