•  

Thread: New Owner in AZ

What's wrong with my car?
      Thanks

New Owner in AZ

Greetings, I'm a new Aveo owner from Arizona. I rolled the dice on this one and hope it pays out. I got a 2011 automatic with 21,600 miles on it for $9,000. Face value seems like a fantastic deal, but it was a rental that Hertz is selling. They had a few days where the Aveos were offered with huge discounts and I actually found this to be the best one despite it being located at the Los Angeles airport. So, I used a buddy pass to fly for free, picked it up and drove it back to Phoenix.
      I got it all the way to Arizona before buying gas, needed only half a tank, and I got 38.52 mpg! And that is with driving faster than normal, averaging 70-80.
      I have been a long time truck and SUV owner and have recently been faced with a 100 mile per day commute. Even with an intake/exhaust plus cruise control locked into 65, I was maxing 17mpg. Oh, and that's buying 89 octane gas. My engine (2007 Hemi) was tuned specifically for 89 octane and I did actually notice about a 15% decrease in fuel economy when using 87 octane.
      I realize I probably could have purchased a more fuel efficient vehicle for the money, albeit with more miles or older, but I am familiar with the Aveo since my sister has a 2010 and I like the car. Because I will be using this only as a commuter, I will be interested in maxing out my fuel economy. I know the top techniques are proper tire pressure and laying off the gas when appropriate, but maybe I'll try an ultra-gauge and K&N down the road.
      The whole buying a rental car thing is new to me, and despite talking to numerous people who had positive experiences, I feel I'm still rolling the dice a bit.
      I'm glad to be here and will be jumping in all the forums to get some good info!

Timing belt broke, do I keep it? thehunterooo's Avatar
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks
      Welcome to the forum! Seems like you got a good car, and some good MPG's

Driving 55 MPH will help your MPG's, but you are already doing really good.

Thanks
      Welcome to the site.

The Aveo is a fine vehicle as long as you keep up with regular maintenance. Its when you completely ignore/abuse it that it starts to become an issue. Sadly, being such a low priced vehicle this is a common occurance by many owners. Thats how I nabbed mine super cheap from a girl who let the timing belt snap!

Yeah, filling the tires up (a bit higher than the factory spec helps more) is a good thing for mileage. I run mine at max sidewall pressure on the tire. The ultra gauge will definitely be a good addition.

I wouldn't bother with the K&N unless you're looking for a little more power. Filters are sized for peak engine power, and unless you're really mashing the pedal a lot its not going to be a restriction at lower power outputs (thus the stock one isn't hurting mileage).

Almost time to do my timing belt NYChevoo's Avatar
      Thanks
      Welcome to the forums! Glad you joined us!

Missing our beloved 1st gen Aveos everyday!
      Silence is golden. Duct tape is silver!!
      04 Aveo (mine gone but never forgotten)
      07 Aveo 5 (wifes car gone but never forgotten)
      02 Suburban (Eats gas stations as snacks)
      12 Cruze Eco 6MT
      (46mpg daily? Holy crap!)
      12 Sonic 2LT (Wifeys new wheels)

Chevoo-1/2 Chevy, 1/2 Daewoo. I mean like WTF?