•  

Thread: Holden Barina tk 2006 1.6L Australia equivalent Chevrolet aveo

Raj
      What's wrong with my car?
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks

Holden Barina tk 2006 1.6L Australia equivalent Chevrolet aveo

I am a backyard mechanic. I work on friends' and relatives' cars. I think The Holden Barina TK 2006 2.6 L is similar to the USA Chevrolet Aveo.

The immobiliser light is on and the car cranks but not starting. This problem started one month ago. During this time the car was starting a couple of times intermittently. Many times it's not starting. I suspect the key chip, immobiliser and the ECU. If I swap the ECU, immobiliser and the key chip from the same model same year car do I still need to program the ecu?

Please help me.

Last edited by Raj; 09-04-2022 at 12:08 PM.

2004 1.6 Auto Rust Free
      Thanks
      Probably. The ECU contains the vin and all needed info for that exact vehicle. Lets just say everything is the same except the vin and yours has ac and the donor didn’t. In this case, it’ll start and run but it’ll idle like crap and probably stall because the ECU needs the programming for ac idle adjustments.

Raj
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by Eg.h2o View Post
      Probably. The ECU contains the vin and all needed info for that exact vehicle. Lets just say everything is the same except the vin and yours has ac and the donor didn’t. In this case, it’ll start and run but it’ll idle like crap and probably stall because the ECU needs the programming for ac idle adjustments.
      Thanks for your reply.

Is replacing the vin in the donor ecu with the vin of mine all that I need? I also need some more info about the replacement of the vin.

Is that the EEPROM chip holding the vin? Can I change the vin using K-tag programmer?

2004 1.6 Auto Rust Free
      Thanks
      [QUOTE

Is replacing the vin in the donor ecu with the vin of mine all that I need? [/QUOTE]

probably not. Make sure that the doner ECU has the exact option programming as the one being replaced. Ie, same model year, with or without air conditioning, automatic or manual transmission, with or without cruise control, etc. the vin only needs to be replaced in the ECU if your government requires it. Last but not least once it’s in you probably will have to have the crank sensor relearned to the ECU by way of a higher end scanner.
      I have no knowledge on the EPROM

I hope this helps

Raj
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by Eg.h2o View Post
      [QUOTE

Is replacing the vin in the donor ecu with the vin of mine all that I need?
      probably not. Make sure that the doner ECU has the exact option programming as the one being replaced. Ie, same model year, with or without air conditioning, automatic or manual transmission, with or without cruise control, etc. the vin only needs to be replaced in the ECU if your government requires it. Last but not least once it’s in you probably will have to have the crank sensor relearned to the ECU by way of a higher end scanner.
      I have no knowledge on the EPROM

I hope this helps[/QUOTE]

Thanks again for your time. I will choose the ecu from the correct donor and let you know the result. I don't think it's illegal in Australia to have the ecu in a car with a different vin.

2004 1.6 Auto Rust Free
      Thanks
      Over here some states have to plug in to the car and it is reported to the state and if the vin doesn’t match they get huffy.

Raj
      Thanks
      After changing the ECU, Immobiliser and key chip the car is running now. The donor is also a manual and the year is 2007. The ECU is same as the one from 2006. Only problem is that the door is not locked or unlocked with the donor key chip. But the old one is working on doors.

I appreciate your suggestions very much. Hope this thread will be useful for some of the readers.

2004 1.6 Auto Rust Free
      Thanks
      You can have a repair shop program the keys you use to start the car to lock/unlock. It should not be expensive. I’m glad it all worked out for you.