•  

Thread: Been Looking for this forum for a year

JFR
      What's wrong with my car?
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks

Been Looking for this forum for a year

I just found this forum. I have a 2006 Aveo LS, 42,000 miles on it. Just change of oil and spark plugs. I have been trying to get a manual , but auto stores all out.
      I have been reading the forum for the last 3 hours. So much helpful stuff....
      I was worried about changing the timing belt, but after finding excellent info and pictures on this forum, it is just like my 1981 Honda, except for the water pump.

Thanks for the great forum, I have just begun to read. Now off to the P0128 error code search.(finally a check engine light)

Frank

Thanks
      Welcome to the site Frank. Enjoy the stay.

What do you mean there's no turbo? paulsaveo's Avatar
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by JFR View Post
      I just found this forum. I have a 2006 Aveo LS, 42,000 miles on it. Just change of oil and spark plugs. I have been trying to get a manual , but auto stores all out.
      I have been reading the forum for the last 3 hours. So much helpful stuff....
      I was worried about changing the timing belt, but after finding excellent info and pictures on this forum, it is just like my 1981 Honda, except for the water pump.

Thanks for the great forum, I have just begun to read. Now off to the P0128 error code search.(finally a check engine light)

Frank
      P0128, my 04 aveo was throwing that at me the last 2 to 3 weeks until I removed the throttle body and cleaned the gunk (carbon buildup) off the back at which point I noticed I had coolant leaking from the throttle body into the manifold (YAY). If I were you, i would definitely start with cleaning the throttle body its an easy job. all you really need is a good brake cleaner or carb cleaner and something along the lines of a tooth brush. remove the intake tube, remove the coolant hoses (if the 06 has coolant lines to the t/b), remove the tps(throttle position sensor) and iac(idle air control valve), remove the throttle body. spray it down, scrub it, spray it down scrub it, keep doing that until it is free of buildup(carbon). reinstall, it took me 20 to 30 minutes. after 3 complete drive cycles (after car has sat for a while, start it and drive 10 to 15 miles, then turn the car off and let it sit for a while(times 3)) you should not have any cel codes.
      Last edited by paulsaveo; 02-18-2011 at 10:21 PM.

Still love my daily driver
      Thanks
      welcome!!gald u found it~ pics !!

http://www.aveoforum.com/forum/f82/car-sputters-10891/

^i have that code here in the picture.

the things i did were

replace thermostat w/ alminum type <- had to seal it with a type of blue caulk found at advance or auto zone.

replace map sensor

clean the o2 sensor w/ brake cleaner and a lite wire brush (not a ruff type)

i dissconnected the battery and it go away and come back, but its been off for a while now. sadly the aveo has been in the shop for a week and they havnt touched it yet since they are waitin for GM to confirm the warrenty(BS)

i didnt replace the o2 tho just cleaned it
      Last edited by oscare003; 02-19-2011 at 05:17 AM.
      Silver Bullet~
      http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3360111/1

Silverado Ext cab 02
      Accord Ex 94
      Aveo Ls 06

Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by oscare003 View Post
      welcome!!gald u found it~ pics !!

http://www.aveoforum.com/forum/f82/car-sputters-10891/

^i have that code here in the picture.

the things i did were

replace thermostat w/ alminum type <- had to seal it with a type of blue caulk found at advance or auto zone.

replace map sensor

clean the o2 sensor w/ brake cleaner and a lite wire brush (not a ruff type)

i dissconnected the battery and it go away and come back, but its been off for a while now. sadly the aveo has been in the shop for a week and they havnt touched it yet since they are waitin for GM to confirm the warrenty(BS)

i didnt replace the o2 tho just cleaned it
      A few months ago when I replaced the plastic thermostat housing on my 04 with the aluminum housing, their was an o-ring for the new housing which is sold seperately

Still love my daily driver
      Thanks
      o yeah the O-ring or gasket its in the picture too Thanx paul!^^

Last edited by oscare003; 02-19-2011 at 04:01 PM.
      Silver Bullet~
      http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3360111/1

Silverado Ext cab 02
      Accord Ex 94
      Aveo Ls 06

JFR
      Thanks

Thumbs up Thanks to Paulsaveo on the P0128 code

Quote Originally Posted by paulsaveo View Post
      P0128, my 04 aveo was throwing that at me the last 2 to 3 weeks until I removed the throttle body and cleaned the gunk (carbon buildup) off the back at which point I noticed I had coolant leaking from the throttle body into the manifold (YAY). If I were you, i would definitely start with cleaning the throttle body its an easy job. all you really need is a good brake cleaner or carb cleaner and something along the lines of a tooth brush. remove the intake tube, remove the coolant hoses (if the 06 has coolant lines to the t/b), remove the tps(throttle position sensor) and iac(idle air control valve), remove the throttle body. spray it down, scrub it, spray it down scrub it, keep doing that until it is free of buildup(carbon). reinstall, it took me 20 to 30 minutes. after 3 complete drive cycles (after car has sat for a while, start it and drive 10 to 15 miles, then turn the car off and let it sit for a while(times 3)) you should not have any cel codes.
      Did as you suggested Paul, and after 3 complete cycles, the check engine light went out, and no more codes. Thanks...I'm glad I changed the plastic thermostat to a metal one anyway. I can't believe a little dirt would cause that...was pretty sticky on the butterfly to.
      Thanks again

Thanks
      Your welcome

MPG
      Thanks
      okay so a few months ago i had my car to the shop for a wheel bearing and why test driving it they blew the old thermosthat housing so i got the new metal one and the other day im driving and i notice her running kinda cold on the temp gauge (heat fine) then a day or two later on comes the check engine light so i take her to auto zone and they hooked her up and said somthing to do with thermosthat. and then the light gos back off but my temp neeedle is being crazy random and then tonight the light pops back on and the heat was not as hot as normal so im wondering what my beef is lol thanks

Lifetime owner
      Thanks
      maybe the aftermarket thermostat is bad, or just the sensor. Although if you have no heat, that route is engine side of the thermostat, so you could have another issue stemming from the blown thermostat housing, or a bad water pump, etc.