•  

Thread: 09 aveo5 heater core return hose broke

What's wrong with my car?
      Thanks

Unhappy 09 aveo5 heater core return hose broke

Hi everyone, it's the first time I've participated in a car forum thank you for accepting me, I have a problem with the heater core return hose broke and I would like to know why it would be the reason it broke, thanks

I'll keep it and add a turbo
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by Hamilton2080 View Post
      Hi everyone, it's the first time I've participated in a car forum thank you for accepting me, I have a problem with the heater core return hose broke and I would like to know why it would be the reason it broke, thanks
      Hi all, Your oil cooler is failing. 2009-2011 Aveos and 2011+ 1.8 Cruzes and 2012+ 1.8 Sonics have the same oil cooler. When the oil cooler fails, it leaks engine oil into the coolant, usually forming an oily sludge in the coolant tank. When you get oil in your coolant it softens the rubber hoses and coolant tank. And causing them to leak. I have a 2009 Aveo, and have replaced the 4 main hoses, plus the coolant tank twice. If you don't replace the oil cooler, you will keep replacing hoses. Deano.

Thanks

Thank you for the info Deano

Quote Originally Posted by Deano View Post
      Hi all, Your oil cooler is failing. 2009-2011 Aveos and 2011+ 1.8 Cruzes and 2012+ 1.8 Sonics have the same oil cooler. When the oil cooler fails, it leaks engine oil into the coolant, usually forming an oily sludge in the coolant tank. When you get oil in your coolant it softens the rubber hoses and coolant tank. And causing them to leak. I have a 2009 Aveo, and have replaced the 4 main hoses, plus the coolant tank twice. If you don't replace the oil cooler, you will keep replacing hoses. Deano.

Thank you Deano , you are right I replace the antifreeze receivor already and flush the radiator I was thinking maybe because the radiator is a used one , maybe was dirty , but now make sence to me after read you explanation .
      I will change the oil cooler or maybe only the seal and o ring what do you think ?

I'll keep it and add a turbo
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by Hamilton2080 View Post
      Thank you Deano , you are right I replace the antifreeze receivor already and flush the radiator I was thinking maybe because the radiator is a used one , maybe was dirty , but now make sence to me after read you explanation .
      I will change the oil cooler or maybe only the seal and o ring what do you think ?
      Good question. It might be possible to replace just the various oil cooler seals and save some substantial coin. However, a new cooler is only about $120 US at RockAuto. When I needed to replace my oil cooler, I only wanted to do it once. So for peace of mind, I bought a new AC Delco engine oil cooler. Also, in my view, having a new oil cooler on-hand speeds up the job a bit, so that as soon as you remove the old one you can immediately install the new one. Otherwise, when you remove the old oil cooler, you was to take a bit more time to dissemble the old one and install the new seals. By the way, you should also replace the seals on the 3 coolant pipes. I didn't want to take any chances in case I damaged the 3 coolant pipes during removal. So I bought new coolant pipes that already had the seals installed. More cost, but more peace of mind.

Final thought. Although I replaced my oil cooler in January 2017 and flushed the cooling system with new coolant, enough oil film had built-up in the coolant tank, that the coolant tank had already started to soften, deformed more, and finally started leaking by early 2018. And that was the second time I replaced the coolant tank! I now keep a spare coolant tank handy just in case some left over oil contamination in the cooling system attacks the coolant tank again.

Let me know how it goes.

Deano.

Thanks

Oil cooler replace 👍

I just replace my oil cooler , I just post the diagram of the seals and the seal number in case some one need it .

Attached Images Attached Images