•  
    Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: silver 06 hatch

Thanks

Re: silver 06 hatch

So the chromeintake piping is 3" in diameter? Seems excessive for a 1.6L.

Timing belt broke, do I keep it? serega12's Avatar
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Daox
      So the chromeintake piping is 3" in diameter? Seems excessive for a 1.6L.
      It may be, but rabbit is using it and it seems to work out for him. Plus the filter that I already have is 3", so I'll just remove 3" to 2.5" coupler that I already have and just run it 3" all the way to the tb and then just use the coupler that they have. Plus the choice was between AEM for $209 or Chromeintakes for $65. I already have a good quality filter and I would have to buy the bypass valve for either one since I'm living in WA and it always rains here... So I figured I'll go that route...
      2006 Chevrolet Aveo a.k.a. Holden Barina – SOLD
      ​2008 Chevrolet Cobalt SS/TC - SOLD

Lifetime owner
      Thanks

The maf in the 09 aveo is 3" housing as well. it works out. its kind of "trumpeted" into the throttle body with the smoother transition coupler than just hard edged connection, but its like only 1/4" radius difference?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by petrified.rabbit
      The maf in the 09 aveo is 3" housing as well. it works out. its kind of "trumpeted" into the throttle body with the smoother transition coupler than just hard edged connection, but its like only 1/4" radius difference?
      I think the radius difference is bigger on 1st gen Aveos... But I think it should still work out well. I'm just really glad that they agreed to swap out blue couplers with black ones for no extra charge. It will match the colors of the car better...

Thanks

Personally, I'd go with a smaller pipe diameter. If you have to match up to a MAF its one thing, but the 1st gen uses a MAP so you don't have to worry about that. I'd go with 2-2.25" piping myself. With 3" I'm quite sure you'll loose some low and midrange power. How much I can't say.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Daox
      Personally, I'd go with a smaller pipe diameter. If you have to match up to a MAF its one thing, but the 1st gen uses a MAP so you don't have to worry about that. I'd go with 2-2.25" piping myself. With 3" I'm quite sure you'll loose some low and midrange power. How much I can't say.
      ChromeIntakes piping has another advantage (for me personally) over AEM - besides the price, it's the position of the cone. It looks like the cone on the ChromeIntakes tubing sits almost a foot higher above the ground... Which is very good for this state. Even though I'm going to use the hydroshield and the bypass valve, I still would rather have it higher than lower.

Quote Originally Posted by petrified.rabbit
      Rabbit, did you notice a big drop in power when you went with 3" piping? I don't think it would be very noticeable, I think I'm loosing more power right now by having a home-made SRI that's breathing only hot air under the hood. And even though it's 3" piping it all goes down to 2"-2.5" hole on the TB... So it will be still receiving the same amount of air it needs (or have more access to it) just it will be colder air than the engine bay air. That's my thinking. Could you guys correct me if I'm wrong?

One thing why I thought that AEM intake was better was because it was all one piece, but when I read up on AEM bypass valve I learned that I'd have to cut that piece to fit the bypass valve, so it would defeat the purpose for me. And the chromeintake tubing is already in two pieces, so I can just fit the much needed bypass valve instead of the coupling. Hope that makes sense.

Lifetime owner
      Thanks

honestly, it seems like it had an increase overall. i also took out the overly restrictive suitcase muffler off the back at the same time, so if not more power in the low end, the ability to breath and get into the higher rpms faster made it more responsive overall. i have not dyno'ed it or anything, but i definitely say its a change for the better, especially when compared to stock. there may be better, correctly sized options out there but the gains from my $32 system i am very happy.

Thanks

So I received my package from chromeintakes today.. three days after I orfered it! Ordered it on the 28th, have it on the first. I call that a fast shipping. didn't get a chance to open it yet, had to leave to take care of something. Will open it when I get home. Will try to remember to take pics while installing it.

Still love my daily driver
      Thanks

Lol good luck man i hope you like the new intake.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by reddemonx92
      Lol good luck man i hope you like the new intake.
      So I opened the package and everything seems to be in order (the tubes are smaller in real life than I thought they would be), but I got home way too late today to do anything... will have to postpone it until tomorrow or Monday.

Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast