•  
    Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Electric Aveo - EV (144v / 1000 Amps = 193 horsepower and massive torque!)

Thanks
      Are you documenting the build project somewhere?

I'll keep it and add a turbo
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks
      Thats really neat how you dont lose the functionality of the manual transmission.
      I always joke around with friends when they run into engine troubles or loook in to buying a car thats notorious for such that they should just do an EV conversion.
      Hmm perhaps i should seek out a donor car.. i wonder how well an EV conversion would handle in the 95 z28 with no engine thats been sitting on my friends driveway for the past 4 years...

Banned
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by Daox View Post
      FYI it still is about horsepower. Torque is how much work you can do (how much weight you can move/tow). Horsepower is how fast you get that work done (how fast you accelerate). The massive low rpm torque just gives you far better acceleration at low rpms when compared to gas engines.
      That's neglecting that by definition, torque is the force that spins the wheel and Horsepower, was how much work the engine was doing. People have it backwards.
      - 1995 Chevrolet Monte Carlo Z34 - LQ1 3.4L DOHC 24 valve semi-hemi V6, 210 HP, 215 ft-lbs of torque, 4T60e 4 speed automatic with O/D.... 123,000+ miles. Slowly resto-modding it.
      - looking for a first gen Aveo for a daily driver :D

What's wrong with my car?
      Thanks
      Hi, yes I am documenting...

here is the final dashboard... I wanted to give the OEM look

Name:  DSC04042.JPG
Views: 1151
Size:  72.8 KBName:  DSC04033.jpg
Views: 1168
Size:  90.9 KB

Thanks
      When I shot the video, I didn't have the cluster done.. now the speedometer (OEM) works and the battery state of charge work GREAT as well...

here are few more pics.

Name:  DSC03206.jpg
Views: 1136
Size:  92.0 KBName:  DSC03323.jpg
Views: 1168
Size:  93.3 KBName:  DSC03324.jpg
Views: 1215
Size:  94.4 KBName:  DSC03509.jpg
Views: 1119
Size:  94.2 KBName:  DSC04032.jpg
Views: 1141
Size:  78.5 KB

Thanks
      Well,

I will selling this Aveo soon and start another one.. but this time, I want the sedan model... probably another 2005... but this one will be a single speed transmission (most likely) but I do have to recover all the money I spent on this one first before my wife even hears the words "another EV"

I've done a 95 Corsica, 2003 Forcus, a 2000 Neon and now the Aveo... I've also own a factory Electric Miles EV (which wasn't worth much and I had to re-do all the factory work to make it at least street worthy.

but I am only taking pics and I have all the diagrams and schematics for this conversion saved... for another one maybe.

I guess this is proof that an EV doesn't have to be all that expensive.. you know??? I think if Lithuium batteries were more affordable, this car would have been a lot better...

but that's another thread... LOL

Thanks
      Yeah, lithium would end up putting you in spitting distance of the cost of a new Nissan Leaf.

I know someone about to spend $12k on a 16kWh Li pack + charger & battery management.

So is this a business for you? I'm guessing "no" or you wouldn't have to "check with the manager" to do another car

Thanks
      Yes... LOL... Management is not happy right now, since every EV expense needs "management approval"... I wanted to have an electric power steering and A/C compressor, so I wouln't need to idle the engine... but the the lab (basement.. LOL) needed new flooring and my request was denied.

when I mentioned LiFePO4 Batteries, I almost got fired... LOL... but for now it's good.. drives nice for about 50 miles without hurting the pack... but the next aveo will have LiFePO4.

I designed a smart night charger for the next car (it's been produced now).

I have a day job and I've been working on this vehicle since September... if I had a bigger garage, I could probably start a small business... but I don't have the money, tools or space.

Almost time to do my timing belt NYChevoo's Avatar
      Thanks
      I've been curious myself about EV conversions and researched the idea from time to time. Your conversion is really very amazing and seems way ahead of all the other earlier conversions that regular people have done. Great job!
      Missing our beloved 1st gen Aveos everyday!
      Silence is golden. Duct tape is silver!!
      04 Aveo (mine gone but never forgotten)
      07 Aveo 5 (wifes car gone but never forgotten)
      02 Suburban (Eats gas stations as snacks)
      12 Cruze Eco 6MT
      (46mpg daily? Holy crap!)
      12 Sonic 2LT (Wifeys new wheels)

Chevoo-1/2 Chevy, 1/2 Daewoo. I mean like WTF?

Almost time to do my timing belt xintersecty's Avatar
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by mrcshbs View Post
      when I mentioned LiFePO4 Batteries, I almost got fired... LOL... but for now it's good.. drives nice for about 50 miles without hurting the pack... but the next aveo will have LiFePO4..
      So what is the percentage cost of the HW vs. Battery? I know you have 14K in the project (does that count the car?) what of that cost is batteries? I also know that lippo batteries have a smaller form factor allowing more distributed installation. If you had gone with Lippos what would have been cost over lead/acid? And then the weight savings?

Please do not power off, firmware update pending.....

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast